No announcement yet.

ready to give up weekday drinking?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I haven't had any booze since Sunday when I killed off the bottle of Beam. And, really, it was only about 4 ounces which I drank over probably three or more hours. I have had some cravings, but I bought some locally made bacon ice cream Monday night and it's going a long way towards satisfying my "I deserve this!" mindset.

Tomorrow night I WILL imbibe, but that's because my friend wants to take me out for a belated birthday drink. I don't see it being a problem.

As for enabling spouses, my husband is horrible. If there is booze in the house, he will have a cocktail waiting for me on the counter when I get home from work. He's also been known to bring me Screwdrivers or Bloody Marys on weekend mornings totally unasked for. And, once its made, I can't possibly let that expensive liquor go to waste so I drink it.

The thing is though, he's not much of a drinker himself. One Beam and Coke, or one glass of wine, and he's done. He says he wants to save the rest for me. Sounds sweet, but it's starting to seem insidious.

Comment

• Julia, so totally it, if I have a cocktail first no desire to eat, and other way around. Whole reason for the experience it to get to the healthy nutrition and get rid for the extra empty calories of the drinks. Really don't think I'm a canidate for AA. Just thought this tread would be a great place for like minds and conversations, not so much judgement from others.

Comment

• Originally posted by bhanes View Post
        Just thought this thread would be a great place for like minds and conversations, not so much judgement from others.
        ^Amen.

Bhanes, wow, it's good that we don't live near each other... we could be 24/7 partying fools! HA!

Whoa! Incindiary! Your husband is worse than mine! I didn't even think that was POSSIBLE. Holy crap!

My husband, this time around, hasn't said jack shit to me about booze.

He absolutely knows 100% how sick I was 14 long days ago that he hasn't pulled any
        of his usual shenanigans.

Maybe cuz he had to take care of the kids for two full days. HAHAHAHHAHAHA!

Julia

Comment

• Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post

I'm back off the wagon, as my nutritional adviser has recommended I have 1-2 drinks per day from now thru the bachelor party. 2 ciders last night.
          My "nutritional advisor" recommended I try white wine because the last time I had extreme allergies it was from red wine. I like experimenting and the advice came at an opportune time (I was making a French fish stew) so I decided to give it a try and whaddaya know.... NO ALLERGIC REACTION!!!!!!

Since I was only trying to avoid allergies and I only have 1 -2 glasses of wine 1-3 days a week I'm going to stay off the wagon.
          For me drinking wine doesn't lead to eating unwanted food indulgences in fact I think I'm better having my occasional therapeutic glass of wine.

Au revoir et bonne chance!
          Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• Julia so right on the party buddies.....Incindiary my DH was the same way when we first got married 2 years ago, I'd pull up in the garage after work and he would be there waiting for me with a cocktail in hand, but now the honeymoon is over and I have to go fix my own. LOL!!

Julia probably right your hubby doesn't want to see you sick again....kids or not.

Comment

• I'm not being judgmental. I just wonder about myself. Maybe I am a compulsive overeater. I drink wine because it's a "safe" snack. I suppose there's a level in there in regards to drinking that's a step below alcoholic, too, like compulsive drinker. Whatever the compulsion, there might be something there that is causing it that's worth looking into. If there's one thing I learned going primal it's that there are a lot of ingestible things that can control me that I was not aware of. But there's also a last little bit of compulsiveness that hangs on for dear life, seeking new things to get stuck on. It would be nice to rid myself of it somehow.
              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

• Bhanes - We've been together for 15 years! Maybe he thinks my personality is improved by liquor. He's been good lately. I told him I wanted to cut back on the weekday drinking, and he's been supportive so far. Now, that doesn't mean he won't try to make me a drink over the weekend. We'll see.

SB - For me, the "drink after work" is very much a bit of compulsion. As others have stated, it's just what I do and have been doing for years.

Do I sometimes feel like alcohol is controlling my life? Yes, around 5pm must days. I did Bikram yoga four nights a week for about a year. I didn't drink on the evenings when I was doing yoga. I quit doing the yoga over a year ago, and I'm back to drinking in the evenings. Maybe I should go back to the yoga.

Comment

• Another thank you friends...I'm sober again tonight. Normally would be a little tipsy by now

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
                  True freedom is the ability to live in a way that is all life giving, not clouded by anything that contaminates body, spirit, or mind.

My journey: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread86444.html;)

Comment

• Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                    I'm not being judgmental. I just wonder about myself. Maybe I am a compulsive overeater. I drink wine because it's a "safe" snack. I suppose there's a level in there in regards to drinking that's a step below alcoholic, too, like compulsive drinker. Whatever the compulsion, there might be something there that is causing it that's worth looking into. If there's one thing I learned going primal it's that there are a lot of ingestible things that can control me that I was not aware of. But there's also a last little bit of compulsiveness that hangs on for dear life, seeking new things to get stuck on. It would be nice to rid myself of it somehow.
                    I don't think you're a compulsive overeater. I think you're a compulsive self-judger.
                    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Anyone else allowing other treats into their day as a "at least I'm not getting the alcohol calories"?

Got a Dunkin.donuts coffee cream AND sugar.....

True freedom is the ability to live in a way that is all life giving, not clouded by anything that contaminates body, spirit, or mind.

Comment

• SB, I do believe you are right....compulsive drinker LOL! Went home last night 111 degrees OMG! Thought dang it is way to hot to eat anything so......had a couple scotches SOOOO refreshing. Just a couple so still being in controll. Tonight though unless DH has other plans, running by the store for some fresh shrimp and scallops for a (refreshing) Dinner tonight. So maybe I'll be doing the Alternate Day Drinking Bawwwwwhaaa.

PrimalFreedom: GREAT JOB!!! Keep up the good work.

Rich: I think you are doing the right thing with the continued drinking until the Bach Party otherwise you would be less likely to hang...not so good. I belong to a group of Elk members that cook for the 4th of July and feed Veterans and their familys for free, then watch the City Fire Works which is right in the back yard of the Lodge. So for 3 days we take our RV campers to the RV park behind the lodge and of course it is a 3 day party. I'm just going to do my best and go from there.

Comment

• Not treats per say, but I did just read a recipe on here for coconut/macadamia frozen bars that looked way yummy.

Comment

• with regard to vacation, special trips, IMO... for me anyway, I feel good about making progress when I set some sort of goal/limit. .... for example, I will allow one day of unlimited amount of drinking, and the other days I will stick to 2 or 3.

I will be on vacation July 3rd thru 7th. I think this would be a good thread to post our vacation goals/ intent.

I will post mine before I leave

Comment

• Hi,
                              I'm about five weeks into this. And really loving it. But, I too drink most everyday. Mostly wine. I think maybe that's why I am at a stalemate right now. I lost 4 lbs, and haven't lost any since. Except for the drinks, I'm probably 99.9% primal right now. I haven't cheated at all. But, I still have a lot to learn about what is ok.
                              I'll hop on board with support for you, I need it also!!

Comment

• Rocketone...I found the weight loss kicked in after removing daily drinking (not to mention my productivity and overall attitude was sunnier...

Comment

Working...
                                X