Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I late to this teetotaler party?

Eff it, I'm in!
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
      The thing with having a glass of wine or three is kind of what I read from some guy who gave up coffee. He said he realized that his morning cup was his way of trying to eek out a little window of pleasure in his otherwise dreary work day, to try and extend the amount of his day he felt belonged to him instead of to someone else.

For me the wine is a way to spread out the length of the window in which I enjoy dinner. A glass before dinner, a glass during and a glass after equals about 2 hours of dinner. If I don't have the 3 glasses of wine, I'll usually do this with a piece of cheese before dinner and a piece of chocolate after. So by not doing the wine, the cheese or the chocolate (all three of which I am attempting to reduce or eliminate), I find that I wander around in the evening feeling twitchy and lost, like I want to do something but I don't know what. I should vacuum maybe.
      5 years ago when I quit drinking for a year, I found that having a non-alcoholic beer in a wine glass really
      helped the craving for alcohol, and the routine of having a drink in my hand.

It certainly didn't taste like wine, but I like beer too, so it worked.

It was so nice FEELING and TASTING that I was drinking alcohol, but wouldn't get buzzed or
      feel anything whatsoever. It was great!!

It got to the point where even after a couple of sips I was like "meh, that's enough of that" until
      I didn't have to use my "trick" anymore.

I would never classify myself as an alcoholic, but at that point, before I quit for a year, I WAS
      drinking every night out of habit, not necessity, but because "that's just what we did".

I could never do "just one glass" of anything. It was all or nothing. So I commend those that
      can have one and be done with it!

If I do just one, it just makes me tired and I'm in bed by 6:30. HAR!

Anyway, just typing all that out cuz if my trick can help someone else, good!

Julia

Comment

...I read from some guy who gave up coffee. He said he realized that his morning cup was his way of trying to eek out a little window of pleasure in his otherwise dreary work day, to try and extend the amount of his day he felt belonged to him instead of to someone else.

For me the wine is a way to spread out the length of the window in which I enjoy dinner. I find that I wander around in the evening feeling twitchy and lost, like I want to do something but I don't know what. I should vacuum maybe.
        Bingo - agreed. It feels like the day is being bookended with some version of "me time".

Can't stand to vacuum tho'! Maybe take a walk, scrub the tub?

“you aren't what you eat - you are what you don't poop.” Wavy Gravy

Today I am Fillyjonk. Tommorow I will be Snufkin.

Comment

For me wine complements the food and adds a finishing touch to the flavor, it also extends the meal, I love lingering at the table and finishing my wine. Without a glass of wine the meal feels more utilitarian. I used to really love having a glass of port after dinner, I'd rather have that than dessert. I'm kind of hoping after I get my autoimmune condition under control I can go back to having an occasional glass of wine, the thought of never having wine with dinner again is just too depressing. It just doesn't seem fair I never even abused alcohol!
          Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

The thing with having a glass of wine or three is kind of what I read from some guy who gave up coffee. He said he realized that his morning cup was his way of trying to eek out a little window of pleasure in his otherwise dreary work day, to try and extend the amount of his day he felt belonged to him instead of to someone else.

For me the wine is a way to spread out the length of the window in which I enjoy dinner. A glass before dinner, a glass during and a glass after equals about 2 hours of dinner. If I don't have the 3 glasses of wine, I'll usually do this with a piece of cheese before dinner and a piece of chocolate after. So by not doing the wine, the cheese or the chocolate (all three of which I am attempting to reduce or eliminate), I find that I wander around in the evening feeling twitchy and lost, like I want to do something but I don't know what. I should vacuum maybe.
            I agree with this totally. I love getting coffee on my way to work just because it's something I enjoy about going to work. I hate my job and every aspect of it so that coffee is definitely a highlight. Same thing with wine in the evenings, especailly when my MIL is staying with us because she makes me so uncomfortable.

That said, I'm in. Actually, I am giving up alcohol compltely for 28 days (started on Monday). It's part of the Fast Metabolism Diet that I'm trying and also probably just a good thing to do. The sad thing is it means I also don't get my coffee for 28 days, either.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
              I used to really love having a glass of port after dinner, I'd rather have that than dessert.
              Mmmmm port....
              Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

Comment

good or bad... I just grabbed a Diet Dr Pepper to delay the hankering...hmmmm...

not too primal, eh?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
                True freedom is the ability to live in a way that is all life giving, not clouded by anything that contaminates body, spirit, or mind.

My journey: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread86444.html;)

Comment

Originally posted by PrimalFreedom View Post
                  good or bad... I just grabbed a Diet Dr Pepper to delay the hankering...hmmmm...

not too primal, eh?
                  It's MORE than just primal - it's space age primal! Personally I prefer Coke Zero with a splash of organic lime juice though, and perhaps some Bacardi Rum added before bedtme...
                  "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

I had a diet mug root beer.

Sue me.

Comment

thanks so much guys. I feel a lot better. I posted that right after my 6 year old said " mom I thought you ate healthy?" Kids!?!?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
                      True freedom is the ability to live in a way that is all life giving, not clouded by anything that contaminates body, spirit, or mind.

Comment

If it makes you feel better, I also ate a family sized Twix bar and then washed it down
                        with a regular sized Whatchamacalit, and then some gummy bears.

But, yanno, what's worse, 700 calories of wine, or 700 calories of pure sugar?

Some may argue that it's the same thing, but I don't feel my heart racing after all that
                        crap like I do at 3AM after all that WINE.

And, my liver isn't waving a white flag, but my fat cells might be.

Bwahahahahahahaha!

~Anonymous

Comment

I salute those trying to get a handle on this issue. Years ago I noticed that all my friends who took up drinking also began to put on weight and I decided then that it wasn't worth it to me. I prefer to eat my treats than drink them. Now I'm even happier with that choice, I'd much rather have chocolate than wine any day, so I do.
                          Annie Ups the Ante
                          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

Originally posted by Annieh View Post
                            I salute those trying to get a handle on this issue. Years ago I noticed that all my friends who took up drinking also began to put on weight and I decided then that it wasn't worth it to me. I prefer to eat my treats than drink them. Now I'm even happier with that choice, I'd much rather have chocolate than wine any day, so I do.
                            Totally the truth.

Cocktails lead to delicious greasy treats that "don't count" in the cocktailer's
                            mind because they're tipsy!

So 700 cals of booze, plus a delicious pizza or trip to Jack in the Box aftewards,
                            equals a 2000 calorie dinner, on top of whatever ELSE they had to eat that
                            day before then. Ask me how I know.

Yesterday I shoveled and transported dirt in a wheelbarrow 50 feet each
                            way for FIVE HOURS straight. I can barely type today. But anyway, so I'm just
                            saying that my indiscretion with the candy was barely a drop in the bucket, and
                            I too would rather eat my treats than drink them.

Candy also helps get off the wine train. It's been proven time and time again that
                            when drinkers stop drinking they crave sugar more, and boy howdy, that's me. But
                            I'll get TIRED of the candy, where I never got "tired" of the wine. So that's good.

On to day day ten, and more shoveling today. Not quite sure how I'm going to do it... sigh...

Carry on people! You're doing great!

Julia

Comment

I agree. Last night. had one drink - yeah! thought of more, but limited....a little victory!

Comment

Blerg, I think I overindulged a little last night after skipping all week. Felt a little swimmy this morning. Gonna be more careful from now on.
                                Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

Comment

Working...
                                X