No announcement yet.

ready to give up weekday drinking?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, I was dry again last night, but OH was late home and supper was delayed, so I ended up eating rather too many mixed nuts ... So not so brilliant on the food front (although the rest of the day was Primal as, indeed, were the nuts!), but still OK on the alcohol.

Congratulations PrimalFreedom!
    Last edited by oliviascotland; 01-15-2014, 02:23 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

• i had a small glass of red last night, i don't think it affected my sleep though (still woke with the light of my sunrise alarm clock and got up quite rapidly), and that's all that really bothers me with alcohol

Comment

• Well I've been a bit inconsistent this week. Had one glass of wine on Monday cause I was out with Boyfriend. No drinking Tuesday. Had several glasses last night. Wish I didn't this morning. So gonna try to be good tonight. It's weird how some nights it's so easy not drink and others it's do easy to do it...
        Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

Comment

• Not sure if this is poor netiquette or not but-- anyone interested in resurrecting this thread? I have been allowing myself to indulge rather too freely while I've been handling a big life change. That's been OK, but I've put on about 10 lbs and really want to get out of the habit of the usually daily glass or two or occasionally three (eek) of wine. I enjoy tea and would like to substitute it for wine.

Anyone? Anyone?

Comment

• I don't do beer/wine. I only do hard liquor . I don't drink socially.

Comment

• Weekdays and weekends aren't substantially different for me. I have cut back tons since even six months ago when I was already cutting back.

I also mostly drink distilled spirits. I buy a fifth, and put a date on it. If I polish it off before that date, tough noogies - I don't allow myself to buy more until the day after the date. I almost wish I got hangovers, but sadly, I have a hollow leg. But the calories in the amount I can put back in one sitting are horrifying. Honestly, that's the only reason I cut back. I love getting wasted.
              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Almost 1.5 years dry for me now since this thread was started.

The habit was harder to break than the drinking itself.

So i went from having unshelled sunflower seeds at "drinking time" (not the same, but same hand to mouth motion, sorta) and then after 6 months of that, I kind of forgot all about it.

Now I don't even think about the booze anymore, until I'm out in a social situation (which is totally rare in itself) and then I really want to PLAY, but I know how shitty I'll feel the next two days so it's not worth it.

I do miss the relaxation of having some wine around 5pm, as my kids get their second wind and run crazy as loons around the house, but.. that said.. I swear to the baby Jesus, I have remembered more the last 1.5 years than I have the last 20.

Brain synapses are totally faster too.

I have a new job in the banking industry that WOULD NOT BE CONDUCIVE TO FULFILLING if I was having wine every night.

So many pros for me for not drinking, though sometimes I still miss the action and ritual of it. Sniff.

BYGONES.

And now when the kids get kray-kray, i just get in the car, go to my favorite trail, and walk for 1.5 hours. I ditch them with the husband, because unlike my Virtuous Self, he has NOT stopped drinking every.single.night.

Sure it's only piss beer Coors Light... but every.single.night since I met him in 1996. That's a lotta beer, mang.

Julia

Comment

• This seems like the thread for me. I used to abuse alchohal really bad when I was younger. When I was 19-23 so it wasnt a terribly long time, but I get pretty intense when I get drunk either wanting to fight someone or I tell too much about myself and feel embarased the following morning. I never remember any of it. I quit cold turkey for a couple years when my son was around 2. After a while and some maturity I was able to have the occasional drink in certain situations. Never around my family(mom, dad, uncles and aunts) since they brought out the worst in me. I do tend to indulge on the weekends, but I hate giving away half of the day away to the previous night. Im better than that and most of the times it is pure boredom that makes me go pick up a pint. I need to focus and zoom in on this fixable area of my life. Just go 100% no alchohal at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spinner42 View Post
                    Not sure if this is poor netiquette or not but-- anyone interested in resurrecting this thread? I have been allowing myself to indulge rather too freely while I've been handling a big life change. That's been OK, but I've put on about 10 lbs and really want to get out of the habit of the usually daily glass or two or occasionally three (eek) of wine. I enjoy tea and would like to substitute it for wine.

Anyone? Anyone?
                    I'm in. I need to stop drinking for several reasons, and starting with no booze on the weekdays is a good place to start. Unfortunately, this will probably be a short week of only not drinking tonight (maybe tomorrow). I had a couple beers last night to celebrate my husband getting his deputy black belt in Tae Kwon Do.

I really do feel better not drinking or drinking very slowly (2 light beers over 2+ hours like yesterday). My goal will be no weekday drinking (Sunday through Thursday) and fewer drinks on the weekend. I'm planning to be/trying to get pregnant, so soon alcohol will be totally out for me anyway. I'm kind of looking forward to having a good excuse not to drink, actually. Never thought I'd say that!!

Comment

• Originally posted by PrimalFreedom View Post
                      I've been about 75 percent primal for about 2 months. last week I started the 21 day transformation and have found that drinking really affects my energy more than ever has in the past.

I'm looking for support to not drink during the weekdays... I certainly can't make that commitment on the weekends.yet..
                      I know just what you mean. It affects my energy, too; but commitment is a problem for me, too.

But at least I'm not as bad as this guy:

Comment

• Well, everyone who's gotten on board has some good reasons not to drink. Nikitakolata, that's exciting about your intention to become pregnant! As I get older I become more aware of the borderline situations so many people have with alcohol. Maybe not full-on alcoholism, but ways in which alcohol use has significant negative effects and yet we return to it knowing that. It's a little scary and, well, sobering! I see some of that in my family and want to get out ahead of it so that I don't go down that road.

No booze yesterday for me, and I bought a bottle of wine today but poured half of it on top of a vinegar mother, and plan to cook with the other half and get it out of my kitchen. I had been going to stock up on some good tequila and bourbon for the winter, thinking it was cheaper to buy and have it here than end up drinking out, but now I think I'll reserve my drinking for being out in social situations Friday and Saturday-- I'm not a weekend partier, so this won't be a big deal for me.

In the winter I like to drink hot water with lemon and ginger root. I bought myself a new electric kettle the other day that's very pretty and has a great spout, and maybe I'll find a nice mug-- I'm a little particular about size and shape-- to give more of a sense of ritual to that and help it take the place of the wine.

As I'm writing I'm thinking maybe I had more anxiety about the way I've been drinking than I realized. Good to have other people on board for that accountability!

Comment

• Alright, two days booze-free. Looking forward to waking up non-groggy tomorrow, and hopefully to dropping some of what I'm pretty sure is water weight from bloating, ugh. I drank tea and coffee today, but want to have some plans for more special drinks as the holiday approaches. Keeping in mind that most Primal peeps are cautious about fruit juices, this book seems to have some good ideas. I think a pitcher of a sophisticated non-alcoholic alternative is a good hostess gift for holiday parties too-- there are often designated drivers, pregnant or nursing women, or people who for other reasons prefer not to drink.

Comment

• No booze yesterday for me (my first day). Unless some unexpected social event comes up tonight I won't be having any tonight either, most likely. I shouldn't since I know there will be alcohol at the party I am going to tomorrow and probably at my mom's house on Sunday.

I've been decorating two bedrooms in my house for the past couple weeks, so I have plenty of things I can do that remove the temptation to drink. I just need to stay busy with that stuff.

Spinner, that's a good idea about the non-alcoholic hostess gift. I'm going to come up with a nice virgin drink to bring to my aunt's house on Christmas Eve. My cousin is pregnant and my sister is still nursing, so I'm sure they will appreciate it.

Comment

• Checking in-- had a hot toddy on day 3 on the way home from work. Friday, and I am friends with the bartender, who had had a family misfortune so it was good to check in. Today is Saturday, day 4, and no booze or desire for it

I also accidentally left my laptop at work last night, so I guess you could say I was detoxing from connectivity too. (I did still have my cell phone, but it's too annoying to use much for internetting.) It was nice, and I think I'll do that more often.

Finally, got myself a FitBit One and I love it.

Comment

• Originally posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
                                Almost 1.5 years dry for me now since this thread was started.

The habit was harder to break than the drinking itself.

So i went from having unshelled sunflower seeds at "drinking time" (not the same, but same hand to mouth motion, sorta) and then after 6 months of that, I kind of forgot all about it.

Now I don't even think about the booze anymore, until I'm out in a social situation (which is totally rare in itself) and then I really want to PLAY, but I know how shitty I'll feel the next two days so it's not worth it.

I do miss the relaxation of having some wine around 5pm, as my kids get their second wind and run crazy as loons around the house, but.. that said.. I swear to the baby Jesus, I have remembered more the last 1.5 years than I have the last 20.

Brain synapses are totally faster too.

I have a new job in the banking industry that WOULD NOT BE CONDUCIVE TO FULFILLING if I was having wine every night.

So many pros for me for not drinking, though sometimes I still miss the action and ritual of it. Sniff.

BYGONES.

And now when the kids get kray-kray, i just get in the car, go to my favorite trail, and walk for 1.5 hours. I ditch them with the husband, because unlike my Virtuous Self, he has NOT stopped drinking every.single.night.

Sure it's only piss beer Coors Light... but every.single.night since I met him in 1996. That's a lotta beer, mang.

Julia
                                This is impressive, Julia!

I'm back to no-booze now that it's Monday. I had probably too many drinks on Saturday and had wine yesterday too. I was good and alcohol-free on Friday though, which is progress.

I don't think it should be a problem for me to abstain until at least Friday and probably until Saturday this week. We are going to Bottle & Bottega on Saturday (one of those tipsy painting places) so I'll probably have some wine then. Not too much though, I want my painting to look good.

Comment

Working...
                                X