ready to give up weekday drinking?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by excursivey View Post
    Soul sista! (I think sista?) Once a year (you know, like Halloween) I'll basically dig into a bag of that til I think I'm gonna puke...
    yep - sista w/ candy corn. Tho' I only eat it when I find it lost in the back of a friends kitchen, many months old, so that it's just disgusting enough to keep me from eating too many.

Originally posted by PrimalFreedom View Post
    Anyone finding drinking not as fun as it used to be?
    Agreed. With respectful use, (respectful of its poisons and of my health), it can be quite pleasurable. But that's the trick, right?

“you aren't what you eat - you are what you don't poop.” Wavy Gravy

Today I am Fillyjonk. Tommorow I will be Snufkin.

Comment

• Yep, totally not as fun as it used to be.

Even when it was JUST my husband and I hanging out in the garage all
      night, blasting music and playing darts until 3AM, that was fun.

Now the kids want to play with us, but they SUCK at darts and I get way too
      frustrated WAITING for them to shoot, then miss, then try again that I just
      stop playing.

WAH! 44yo throwing a tantrum.

Sitting on the couch, watching TV and drinking a bottle of wine is boring as all
      get out. And that's what we've been doing the past eon passage of time. Snore.

I'll pass, and "save it" until we either go out, or the kids MOVE out.

Bwahahahahaha! They're 8 and 11, soooooo, unless they emancipate themselves. . . . nyuck, nyuck.

It's funny though, we live at the bottom of a very long court. They have electric scooters, bikes,
      electric go karts, skates, roller blades, skateboards, regular scooters, etc. You name it, my kids
      have it.

But where would they rather be? Flanking myself and my husband, wanting to do what WE'RE doing,
      even if it's just sitting in folding chairs on the driveway! GAH!

Reminds me of when I moved out when I was 18 - got myself a 6 week old black lab lickety split.

Everyone told me I'd have to find a place with a HUGE YARD for that dog.

And I did. I lived in shithole after shithole (total of moving 13 times in 16yrs) so I could
      keep my dog and she'd have somewhere to frolic around day after day.

But yanno, in the end, dogs, like children, couldn't give six shits what they have or how big
      the yard is. They want YOU YOU YOU, at ALL TIMES.

We could have lived in a cardboard BOX and the dog would have been happy.

Same with the kids.

So all y'all with no dogs or kids yet, there's some l'arnin' for you. DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE!

Okay, rant over, so yeah, back to drinking... not so much fun anymore.

Mix in the care of kids, and, well, it's not like anyone can get stupid shitfaced lampshade on
      the head drunk anymore anyway. Gots to be responsible yanno! Kid may need to be rushed
      to the ER at 3AM!

ASKMEHOWIKNOW

grumble, grumble....

Julia

Comment

• Julia...thanks a mint for the reality of drinking with kids ( I.e. how lame being loaded and engaged with alcohol over engaging with kids/life). Totally hit me and I ordered water instead of another beer...love this community!!:thumbup:

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
        True freedom is the ability to live in a way that is all life giving, not clouded by anything that contaminates body, spirit, or mind.

My journey: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread86444.html;)

Comment

• Ok...one last post: did the "fake drink" thing: tonic water, a splash of Orang juice, Orange slice, and a splash of red wine so the drink looked like a wine spritzer. It worked! The questions fun others were appeased!!!!

True freedom is the ability to live in a way that is all life giving, not clouded by anything that contaminates body, spirit, or mind.

Comment

• Hey cool! Double high five for you!

I still ain't drunkded anything, but, um, I ate two pop-tarts in a row and a f*ckton of
            bbq flavored corn nuts.

Crunchy goodness right there, and the pop-tarts, meh, tasted good, but now I'm a bloated
            fat whale.

Hoping to deflate by morning!

Julia

Comment

• For me, anyway, I have to realize there is an element of "if I'm giving up drinking in this situation, I'm going too be rewarded or allow myself to eat______"

I started primal because, as my screen name indicates, there are elements and habits of my life i want freedom from:
              1. Sneak drinking or binge drinking, essentially drinking to make an ordinary day with my awesome kids (i genuinely mean that) more "tolerable"' honestly, I think the drinks were to numb me to not absorb the negative attitude my stressed hubby bright home (which was accompanied by one criticism agree another of me). Drinking helped me disconnect from this and let it all roll of my back: a survival technique you could say.

#2. Sneak and binge eating. For.years I've turned to food to stuff/"express feelings". I've heard the more you open your mouth, the less you'll open it to eat". I work daily on this, but am making significant progress.

Logging on my fitness pal.keeps me honest.

I guess I tell you all this because these are my two struggles. I'm working on both to have a life of honesty, freedom, and joy!

Comment

• Don't have a lot to add at the moment having read the last few posts from everybody. A lot of food for thought just reading this thread though.

I don't have kids and am alone right now, so, well, if I'm drinking or doing anything it's pretty much alone, lots of times in front of the TV. Jeez does that sound pathetic. It is what it is though. So I've been giving a lot of thought to how to change the situation, like joining a gym or...not sure what. I am not sure what this has to do with drinking specifically, more like my life has hit a kinda flat spot and I want to take steps to move off it. I feel like the good thing, regarding the drinking, is that it hasn't felt like a big deal to give it up on the "school nights" since I started with this thread. Like I'm in it with all you guys so it's easier. Bleh, I'm rambling...
                Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

Comment

I am not sure what this has to do with drinking specifically, more like my life has hit a kinda flat spot and I want to take steps to move off it. I feel like the good thing, regarding the drinking, is that it hasn't felt like a big deal to give it up on the "school nights" since I started with this thread. Like I'm in it with all you guys so it's easier. Bleh, I'm rambling...
                  Why don't you start a thread "how can a single person add more spice to life?" Maybe get ideas of how to explore finding out what hobbies you even like. This MDA is a very helpful and open community

Comment

• Maybe I should. I'm sort of a chicken but I'll think about it. Thanks for suggesting it for sure!
                    Breathe. Move forward.

Comment

Maybe I should. I'm sort of a chicken but I'll think about it. Thanks for suggesting it for sure!
                      Reach out! Do one thing everyday that scares you!

Last edited by PrimalFreedom; 07-06-2013, 08:52 PM.

Comment

• Ha ha, thanks PF. I sorta try to do that anyway but with other stuff. It's only recently that I've had to contemplate it with meeting new people, for lack of a better description...

So not really drinking related but I took Abs lead and sorted a bunch of stuff out of my closet. Woo hoo!!! Kinda the if you haven't worn it in a year method? Happily as I tried a lot of things on they were TOO BIG!! Away they go!
                        Breathe. Move forward.

Comment

• Hey kids!

Just checking in, nothing new to report here, still no cocktails and the
                          craving is absolutely and completely 100% gone, gone, gone. So freeing!

Yesterday I was ON FIRE, I walked 30K steps! Wahooooo!

Not sure why I was so tireless - could it have been the B-vitamin multi I took?

My hip extensors usually start talking to me after 5 miles, but not yesterday. WHATEVER.

I think the 30K = 15 miles, so...

Excursivey, deep cleaning is great.

I'm all done with my entire house, shed and garage now, and all I have left is to scrub
                          it from top to bottom. I'm kind of putting that off because then my project is DONE, skeery!

Good job on getting rid of the big clothes. I found some of mine in our shed in plastic bins.

BYE BYE!

Julia

Comment

• Great, Julia!

What things have everyone else noticed improved in their life as the amount of alcohol decreases?

Me? Way more productive, energetic, better workouts, and....realizing I'm having a great time in social situations with way , less. If not absolutely no booze!

Comment

• Originally posted by PrimalFreedom View Post
                              Great, Julia!

What things have everyone else noticed improved in their life as the amount of alcohol decreases?

Me? Way more productive, energetic, better workouts, and....realizing I'm having a great time in social situations with way , less. If not absolutely no booze!

I think the best thing for me has been having ZERO bloat, and along with the booze being gone,
                              so are the cravings for stupid shit, like I'd get the day AFTER drinking.

One can only eat so many Western Bacon Cheeseburgers and a crapton of chocolate chip
                              cookies to wash it down with the day after a night of debauchery and have their "diet" not
                              work so much anymore.

My booze days would average about 1200 to 1500 cals (starve all day so I could drink them
                              instead) but the days AFTER would average 2500 to 3200.

Averaged out, every other day for a week? = Fatass

Besides that, I haven't really noticed any other mind blowing effects.

Can't sleep worth a shit the last 14 days, but that's because I just can't wrap
                              my head around my 11yo starting middle school in 41 days (but who's counting)
                              and how I'm going to walk two kids to school that start at the same time but
                              different places.

And don't even sugggggest him walking to school alone.

I'm the biggest helicopter mom at its finest... and, he's the sensitive one
                              and still needs his mommy! I'm sure it'll change by the time a month rolls
                              by of doing the routine.

Anyway, bygones... it'll all work out, but in the meantime, my hands be sweaty!

I guess if that's the least of my worldly problems, I'm winning.

Julia

Comment

• Hey Guys,

Well, I'm back from a very loooong ass weekend. Lame at the best. These RV parties are just alittle too much now a days. Pretty sure this will be the last. You guys are right, even though I drank all weekend it just wasn't fun, so don't think I will have much trouble cutting out week day, my DH is on board now so that will make it easier also. So we are off to a new week, I'll keep in touch. Looking for some of that sweet VICTORY.

Comment

Working...
                                X