Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ready to give up weekday drinking?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Well, I'm sorta in. I just noticed this started about a week after I started my own little experiment to heal my gut after a bad reaction to a food I've eaten all my life.

    So first week: No alcohol at all; no coffee at all.
    18 days total: Three cups of coffee, a couple of glasses of sweet vermouth (all those herbs make it a digestiv, dontcha know) , and a couple of Tropical Drunken Goat Herders (goat milk, banana, rum).

    So, as usual, I'm not 100% compliant about anything - even my own plan.

    It was easy to stop drinking beer when I moved here because it's stupidly expensive if you don't drink Bud or the other $10/case beers. Red wine was also easy because even just a glass or two (and quality doesn't seem to factor in) does result in a headache the next day, or even sometimes while I'm drinking it. Not a fan of white wine unless it has bubbles.

    Clear distilled spirits are my nemeses. And I've learned some stuff.
    • Cheap gin = devil's piss. I.e., I will wake up with the feeling of spikes in my head and eyeballs.
    • Moderate to good gin = tastes better and no hangover. Lest one thinks one needs vermouth for the perfect martini, I've found that just whispering the word "vermouth" over the (very chilled) glass will suffice.
    • Cheap vodka = no hangover, but was starting to rip up my stomach. My palate is pedestrian, so I can't really tell much difference in cheap and good when it comes to vodka.
    • Tequila (I like silver) = tastes good and no hangover. Therefore, for me it's dangerous. Lime or salt you say? Nope - I love the taste and don't want it diluted. Must minimally be 100% agave, but I'm no snob on the brand name.


    My "sorta in" really just means that I probably won't consign drinking just to weekends, but I am trying to go four to six days between drinks.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

    B*tch-lite

    Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

    Comment


    • okay so last night I was up till midnight working on a big presentation for Monday. didn't have a drop to drink and to be honest thought about it but didn't have a huge hankering.

      so instead to keep me awake I ate nearly half a jar of peanut butter.... progress not perfection....

      Sent from my HTC Wildfire S using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
      True freedom is the ability to live in a way that is all life giving, not clouded by anything that contaminates body, spirit, or mind.

      My journey: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread86444.html;)

      Comment


      • Okay, I'm in. Lurking here certainly inspires me to go all teetotaler, but it"s such a social part of my life. I play Irish music, sessions on Tuesdays, performing and getting free drinks on the weekends, drinking is a part of my routine. Plus the glass of wine For The Chef, since I do the cooking.

        Anyway, I had three glasses of wine at a play last night and had a bit of single malt scotch when I got home and have that dried out tired feeling- not headachy, or stomach-achy, just eyeballs this side of raisiny.

        I like the tips in this thread. And I love soda water with lime. I`d like to come here and hold myself accountable to others. Also, my husband is going out of town for a week soon. I can see myself either being very strict and clean or going completely the other direction.

        Sent from my GT-P3113 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

        Comment


        • Julia...I have totally noticed an increase in motivation to tackle projects I've been meaning to great side effect from not drinking daily ....awesome!

          Sent from my HTC Wildfire S using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
          True freedom is the ability to live in a way that is all life giving, not clouded by anything that contaminates body, spirit, or mind.

          My journey: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread86444.html;)

          Comment


          • Originally posted by seashells View Post
            Also, my husband is going out of town for a week soon. I can see myself either being very strict and clean or going completely the other direction.
            Hey, my DH has a three week leave pass, starting next week. The plan is to stay clean for whole time. Already laying in stocks to see me through - extra coconut oil and cream, frozen prawns, bacon... Plan is to spend time cooking and exercising instead of the usual weekend wine. If I can survive the first two nights by myself, the rest will be much easier.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
              Diane: Has it been humid in Santa Barbara too?

              Julia
              That's what they say. On Saturday I rode my scooter without a jacket. Yay! I love that! I spent the day in a shady redwood grove playing music. Then I took a long nap. I didn't notice humidity. Today, Sunday, I went for a morning hike. Oh my god I was sweating so much! It was hot and not terribly humid but just enough to notice. I'm used to single-digit humidity! But at least it was another good scooter weather day.

              Originally posted by seashells View Post
              Okay, I'm in. Lurking here certainly inspires me to go all teetotaler, but it"s such a social part of my life. I play Irish music, sessions on Tuesdays, performing and getting free drinks on the weekends, drinking is a part of my routine.
              I miss the sessions we used to have. I was terrible at it (flute), but I loved the music so much. Our session is gone now so I play old-time instead. I've slowly but surely learned to play the fiddle little-by-little attending the jam. Today I suddenly played Hennessy's on my fiddle. Damn, now I get what "fiddle tunes" means. So much easier than the flute.

              I had a glass of wine on Saturday night. It was so hot and there it was in the box in the fridge (nothing but the best for us!) It really didn't taste good at all. I was sorry I drank it. I had lemonade instead today. Much much tastier.
              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                I miss the sessions we used to have. I was terrible at it (flute), but I loved the music so much. Our session is gone now so I play old-time instead. I've slowly but surely learned to play the fiddle little-by-little attending the jam. Today I suddenly played Hennessy's on my fiddle. Damn, now I get what "fiddle tunes" means. So much easier than the flute.
                It seems there is a session somewhere close by everywhere I go- why do I think you're in Santa Monica? I know it's a drive, but have you been to The Ould Sod in San Diego? That's a good one. I don't know Hennessy's but ill learn it in case I ever see you in a do.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Bifcus View Post
                  Hey, my DH has a three week leave pass, starting next week. The plan is to stay clean for whole time. Already laying in stocks to see me through - extra coconut oil and cream, frozen prawns, bacon... Plan is to spend time cooking and exercising instead of the usual weekend wine. If I can survive the first two nights by myself, the rest will be much easier.
                  That'll be a good start. Hubs and I just got in from sushi and yeah I had the sake, but I didn't get tipsy- so does it still count?

                  Comment


                  • Well, it's been 2 full weeks for me now, alcohol and caffeine free. I've been to a lot of social gatherings. They are a little less fun without alcohol, but not horrible. The real challenge will come next weekend while camping since there's really nothing else to do; I won't be able to distract myself by making jewelry or painting a room or any of the other things I typically do as a distraction.

                    Comment


                    • Well. This doesn't have anything to do with anything. But you guys are nice people so I think you'll understand. Today would have been my dear husband's 46th birthday. I miss him quite a bit. I'm not sure what this has to do with drinking because I don't feel more or less compelled. Did I spell that right? It just is what it is... I did have wine tonight with the steaks I cooked for his birthday. He was an awesome cook and I have made myself learn how to cook a damn fine steak on the grill he left behind.
                      Breathe. Move forward.

                      I just eat what I want...

                      Comment


                      • I gave it up about four months ago.

                        No sugar or alcohol in any material amounts anymore. Much better results in the gym, that's for sure.

                        Comment


                        • I'm not cutting back... but I drink maybe two glasses of wine a week. Not a heavy drinker.
                          Out of context quote for the day:

                          Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by excursivey View Post
                            Well. This doesn't have anything to do with anything. But you guys are nice people so I think you'll understand. Today would have been my dear husband's 46th birthday. I miss him quite a bit. I'm not sure what this has to do with drinking because I don't feel more or less compelled. Did I spell that right? It just is what it is... I did have wine tonight with the steaks I cooked for his birthday. He was an awesome cook and I have made myself learn how to cook a damn fine steak on the grill he left behind.
                            So sorry you lost him so young.
                            "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

                            B*tch-lite

                            Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

                            Comment


                            • Oh boy I can relate! I'm on summer break in college right now and two weeks ago drank five days out of the week! I decided that I'd deal with my fear of missing out by going out and not drinking. I have to tell you, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. No one even really seemed to notice because I still included myself in dancing, conversation, and the frequent cheers! Jus try it once and maybe you won't mind going out without drinking that one or two weekdays a week.

                              Comment


                              • What is DH?

                                Sent from my HTC Wildfire S using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
                                True freedom is the ability to live in a way that is all life giving, not clouded by anything that contaminates body, spirit, or mind.

                                My journey: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread86444.html;)

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X