Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone explain fat cell insulin resistance?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyway, back to the original question:

As I understand it, there are (at least) two types (or locations) of insulin monitoring, the liver and the fat cell. When the liver detects low insulin, more insulin is produced. When the fat cell detects low insulin, fat is released. Therefore,

1. When insulin resistance is much higher in the liver than the fat cell, excess insulin will be produced, driving fat into storage and the fat cell won't fight back.
    2. When insulin resistance is much higher in the fat cells than in the liver, some level of insulin will still be produced, but the fat cells won't respond well, and won't store excess fat (this needs a protein called asp as well).
    3. Most people hit stasis/balance at some point in between "audrey hepburn" and "Guinness book of records".
    Last edited by MattyH; 06-24-2013, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sting View Post
      Or why don't the skinny people become insulin resistant if they are always eating sugary foods and there blood sugar is always high - meaning their insulin is working overtime?
      I think that's where you're getting lost. Skinny people CAN be insulin resistant. If fat cells are insulin resistant, the blood glucose just hangs out in their bloodstream, causing all sorts of damage (glycation). In most people, a fair amount of fat gain occurs before fat cells become resistant to insulin telling them to store more, but in other people this threshold is apparently much lower. I remember seeing a study that talked about non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in normal weight subjects, but I can't find a link at the moment.

Comment

One word: PUFAs.

Comment

I found the link to the study I was talking about it my earlier post. I forgot that I originally saw it in a Chris Kresser article:
          Think skinny people don’t get type 2 diabetes? Think again.

Comment

I think Mike Eades' quote was him explaining why not every obese person ends up at 500lbs. Some reach 300 and stay steady there. Others maybe only 165.
            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Working...
            X