Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• low carb, really high body temperature at night

HI everyone,
    Evertime I go super low carb for a couple of days (no fruit, nuts, dairy or alcohol) my body temp gets high at night- so high that my sister refuses to share the same bed because my heat forces her to wake up and move a bit further from me. I don't notice and sleep through the night, wake up and jump out of bed with that crazy energy you get on low carb. But if I continue for a week more I start sweating profusely at night, my pyjama top is literally wet with sweat when I wake up (and the sweat smells quite strong!) I also have to wake up at least once during the night to take a very very very long bathroom break. During this time I am losing lots of weight.
    My question is, is this normal? Or should I consider getting my thyroid checked? Though when I add back carbs for a few days all this heat business stops. Is there an explanation for this?
    Thanks

I would get your thyroid checked, that is a classic sign. Low carb might aggravate it and worsen symptoms. Do you supplement with magnesium? A good idea before bed, especially if you are low carb and losing excessive water weight at night. Take plenty of salt with your food as well.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

Nothing wrong with your thyroid. This is normal for vlc for some folks (including me!) we just burn fat like crazy when in ketosis, especially at first.

I find this happens more when I overeat fat, interestingly.
      Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
      Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
      Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

I never have understood the anti-vlc propaganda that lowering your carbs makes you feel cold. I had just the opposite too. I used to sleep with socks on but not any more.

I do sometimes get a flushed feeling if I eat a lot of coconut products in one day. All those MCT's burning up.

Comment

It's never really bothered me, especially since I see a very clear link between how many carbs I eat and how much I sweat at night. I never really get a metallic taste in my mouth, but my coffee starts tasting really, really bad, even though its the same brand that I use everyday. The other thing is I lose all desire to snack constantly and the cravings go away (which is the best thing about all this because that's how I gain weight in the first place!)
          But when I read about the changes to expect when doing low carb (and flirting with ketosis) I don't find much info about this. Does anyone have any resources, links, info?
          Last edited by kristin; 06-17-2013, 02:32 AM.

Comment

Opposite is true for me. Whenever I eat more carbs than typical, I end up unable to sleep at night because I'm so hot.
            F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

I'm sorry...I got stuck on the "Sharing a bed with my sister" bit and didn't really get much further!

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzynavel View Post
                I'm sorry...I got stuck on the "Sharing a bed with my sister" bit and didn't really get much further!
                Lmao same here

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
                If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Originally posted by Misabi View Post
                  Lmao same here

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
                  ha ha ha ha, well...I don't live at home anymore so whenever I go visit it's either her gigantic bed or the couch for me! Grok wouldn't see anything wrong with that

Comment

Co-sleeping is definitely Primal!

Kristin, no links, but Itsthewooo (a keto-blogger) posted recently describing the heating up phenomena in herself. She attributes it to being a "hard gainer", or obesity resistant. These particular bodies preferentially burn the fat, rather than keep it in storage-- at least when down to a certain level of body fat.
                    Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                    Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                    Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
                      Co-sleeping is definitely Primal!

Kristin, no links, but Itsthewooo (a keto-blogger) posted recently describing the heating up phenomena in herself. She attributes it to being a "hard gainer", or obesity resistant. These particular bodies preferentially burn the fat, rather than keep it in storage-- at least when down to a certain level of body fat.
                      Hmm. My husband is a hard-gainer and has episodes of night sweats regularly, but he consumes probably 400-500g carbs a day and stays thin as a rail.
                      | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

Thanks- I got myself some magnesium supplements to help with the cramping, which I think is the only problem with losing so much water. Checking out itsthewoo's blog posts as well. I freaked out a little bit because my friends are constantly lecturing me on my horrible eating habits- too much fat, too much protein and that I would be better off eating everything in 'moderation' aaarg!!

Comment

Night sweats can be caused by adrenaline spikes.

Comment

Originally posted by Damiana View Post
                            Opposite is true for me. Whenever I eat more carbs than typical, I end up unable to sleep at night because I'm so hot.
                            This is my experience, too. A carb refeed results in waking up in a pool of sweat, practically on fire.

Comment

I found this on Jimmy's blog:

Does Ketosis Cause An Internal Rise In Body Temperature? « Jimmy Moore's Livin' La Vida Low Carb Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X