But.. but... that's NOT healthy!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But.. but... that's NOT healthy!!

Do you ever look at the food choices someone is making and just sit there flabergasted that they can’t see what they are doing?

A friend posted on Facebook this morning about some healthy cookies her and her daughter made. She was quite pleased to be able to send a “healthy snack without any added oils” in her kids’ lunchboxes today.

The cookies had 4 ingredients:

1 box Lemon cake Mix
    1 Egg
    2 Cups Cool Whip
    1 cup powdered sugar

The egg is the only decent part of the whole thing and there was an apologetic note on the recipe about how, unfortunately, the cookies don’t work with egg substitute.

Well thank God for that at least.

Originally posted by Poppi View Post
    Well thank God for that at least.
    I laughed painfully at this. Partly because it's just friggin' sad, but also because my allergies are giving me a cough and it hurt my throat to laugh/cough. Aaahhh. People.
    Depression Lies

Comment

Thanks - I'm having a bear of a day and this gave me a good laugh.

Comment

And it makes me crazy that her kids can take that shit to school but my kids can't take the banana bread or cookies I make them because of the almond flour.

(I get the allergy thing, I really do but my kids are getting a bit tired of fruit and bacon for snack every day when their friends all have cookies and cakes.)

Comment

Originally posted by CiKi90
          Poppi can't you make the snacks with coconut flour? Is that still a nut and on the no-no list?
          I haven't had a lot of success with just coconut flour. Clearly I need to find some better recipes. Open to suggestions!

Comment

And how is the tub of cool whip not an "Added oil"?? I was under the impression that cool whip was just whipped up oil with corn syrup in it.

Comment

I haven't had a lot of success with just coconut flour. Clearly I need to find some better recipes. Open to suggestions!
              Tropical Traditions website has TONS of recipes for coconut flour. I've used them with really good results.
              Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Comment

Yeah, my almost 7 yo kid has to argue in the lunchroom because other kids tell her that their whole-grain bread is healthier than grass-fed beef she is getting. Luckily, they also tell her stuff like mosquitoes make honey, so it is easy to show that a lot of things other kids say are just as wrong.
                My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
                  Luckily, they also tell her stuff like mosquitoes make honey, so it is easy to show that a lot of things other kids say are just as wrong.
                  lol, that made me snort my coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by AuroraB View Post
                    Tropical Traditions website has TONS of recipes for coconut flour. I've used them with really good results.
                    Thank you, I'll take a look.

Comment

lol, that made me snort my coffee.
                      Heh, I was driving when I was provided with this tidbit of zoological trivia (form a second-grader no less, my kid is Gr 1)
                      My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                      When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

And how is the tub of cool whip not an "Added oil"?? I was under the impression that cool whip was just whipped up oil with corn syrup in it.
                        She thinks that cool whip is made from the cool whip plant, rather than in the cool whip plant.

The idea that there are literate people who are unaware that there are ingredients lists on boxes is mind-boggling.

Comment

That's just nasty! My one friend bakes tons of cakes and cupcakes as a hobby and makes them "healthy" by using tons of Splenda instead of sugar and not using real eggs, butter or oil. Blech!

Comment

Oh, Cool-whip cracks me up. "look! we make it with soybeans and oil and sugar mashed with air! But it has no fat, so it's healthy!!!" Yeaaaaah, I think that tree bark or grass-clippings are probably healthier than cool-whip.

Comment

I have a friend who, even though I had explained my way of eating to her, bought some frozen dessert or other and told me : "you can have this! It's fat free and it's got fruit in it! It's healthy!" This is a woman who saw me eat a bowl of creamy pasta sauce sans pasta... And yet despite this was pushing some sugar filled fat free crap at me... Ahhh well at least I've got her buying butter and not margarine these days.

Comment

Working...
                              X