Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daily Coffee, Stevia or Sugar in the Raw?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black. It's a crime to cut good coffee with cream or sugar. If it's the typical Starbucks-type quality, then don't sweat the sweetener in the amounts you're using. Pick your poison.

OP, you say you love coffee while masking the best parts of the coffee's flavor with some type of sugar/sweetener. Buy quality coffee, a grinder and some type of good method for brewing (i.e. french press). Going off of observations of both myself and others, sugar and/or cream is typically used when someone doesn't like the taste of their coffee but loves the effects of the caffeine.

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
    you can't say that putting sugar in it isn't necessary, but then tell the world you put butter or coconut oil in your coffee. that's idiotic.
    Only if you're thinking in terms of flavor. If it's for making coffee palatable to someone who doesn't like it black, then yes. All that's doing is replacing one flavor masking substance with another one that is more caloric.

However, if I had to pull an all-nighter before an exam (or something similar) I'll absolutely add a tbsp of butter and MCT oil to my mug. It may not taste any better than black, but it gives me more energy that lasts longer. YMMV.
    Last edited by Castle; 06-13-2013, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Castle View Post
      Only if you're thinking in terms of flavor. If it's for making coffee palatable to someone who doesn't like it black, then yes. All that's doing is replacing one flavor masking substance with another one that is more caloric.

However, if I had to pull an all-nighter before an exam (or something similar) I'll absolutely add a tbsp of butter and MCT oil to my mug. It may not taste any better than black, but it gives me more energy that lasts longer. YMMV.
      I hear what you're saying. but one could argue that you could put sugar in coffee for energy as well. our bodies can burn fat AND sugar, it's not an either/or situation. besides, if you're drinking coffee to stay up all night, then its basically just a caffeine delivery device.

Comment

Another vote here for sugar.

Hubby uses coconut sugar as it's less processed and lower glycemic but I am allergic to raw coconut products so I just use sugar. I only take 1/2 tsp so it's not a big deal and on days when I make bulletproof coffee I don't take any sugar in that.

Comment

Unsweetened is the way to go, but if I still sweetened my coffee, it would be with sugar. I stopped sweetening my coffee years ago and now I can't stand it sweetened. I still drink it with cream or sometimes in bulletproof form, though. I think stevia is yuck.

Comment

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
            I hear what you're saying. but one could argue that you could put sugar in coffee for energy as well. our bodies can burn fat AND sugar, it's not an either/or situation. besides, if you're drinking coffee to stay up all night, then its basically just a caffeine delivery device.
            For me, enough sugar to give me energy inevitably leads to a crash 2-3 hours later. Not so with fat. However, I'm under no illusions that any of it, coffee included, is by any means optimal.

And yes, coffee late at night is not that different than popping a caffeine pill. Not healthy at all, but still gets done a few nights per year. Such is life.

Comment

Sorry for delay in this thread guys, been busy. TO be honest i use sugar because ALL coffee taste the EXACT same to me black. I CANNOT smell, therefore it affects my taste i'd imagine. I was born with it, i will actually put a separate thread on this as it is kind of interesting, but sucks for me hahaha. Anyways i think i will stick with sugar in the raw for the time being, i am worried about the glycemic value, maybe coconut sugar is in order

Comment

I vote for butter.

Sent via A-10 Warthog

Comment

While you mentioned how much you use per cup, you didn't mention how many cups per day you're drinking. One or two cups of coffee per day each with a teaspoon of sugar is 16 calories per cup. No big, no matter what you use (though I agree that agave is just a rip off and nutritionally as sucky or more sucky than sugar). 16-32 calories of just about anything isn't going to kill you.

If you're drinking more than two cups per day, maybe you could mix it up a bit. Sometimes sugar, sometimes stevia. And occasionally start learning what coffee with no sweetener tastes like.
                  "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                    While you mentioned how much you use per cup, you didn't mention how many cups per day you're drinking. One or two cups of coffee per day each with a teaspoon of sugar is 16 calories per cup. No big, no matter what you use (though I agree that agave is just a rip off and nutritionally as sucky or more sucky than sugar). 16-32 calories of just about anything isn't going to kill you.

If you're drinking more than two cups per day, maybe you could mix it up a bit. Sometimes sugar, sometimes stevia. And occasionally start learning what coffee with no sweetener tastes like.

On my days off i usually drink 3/4 a pot. At work two cups and Green Tea. Tazo, but all i have

Comment

Working...
                    X