No announcement yet.

why am i not losing????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look, I'm not trying to start the carb wars in this thread but I retained more water VLC and low carb. Not everyone is the same. I added more carbs back in and dialed the fat back some and lost the excess water weight I was carrying.

Jewelbug needs to experiment for herself and see what works for her.

Comment

Originally posted by brookesam View Post
      Look, I'm not trying to start the carb wars in this thread but I retained more water VLC and low carb. Not everyone is the same. I added more carbs back in and dialed the fat back some and lost the excess water weight I was carrying.

Jewelbug needs to experiment for herself and see what works for her.
      Cutting carbs is a way to deplete water retention, this is why bodybuilders do it coming up to a competition. If you were holding water then I'd say it was down to your sodium levels or lack of drinking enough water.

Comment

No neither... I was quite orthorexic about salt intake and drank a gallon of water a day then. But one day of eating more carbs and it was gone.

Like I said, it doesn't always work the same for everyone.

Comment

Sometimes the body can retain fluids from stress and *for me* it was stressful.

Comment

Originally posted by OldSchhool View Post
            Cutting carbs is a way to deplete water retention, this is why bodybuilders do it coming up to a competition. If you were holding water then I'd say it was down to your sodium levels or lack of drinking enough water.
            When staying on whatever diet most people will accumulate water edema in various degree sooner or later, but it is correct that going from high carbs to low carbs flush out lots of water when starting low carb dieting. The method to get rid of water edema after dieting for a longer time is to eat more calories and get more carbs, one big meal at night can be enough and you wake up much lighter the next day after peeing most of the night...
            "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
              When staying on whatever diet most people will accumulate water edema in various degree sooner or later, but it is correct that going from high carbs to low carbs flush out lots of water when starting low carb dieting. The method to get rid of water edema after dieting for a longer time is to eat more calories and get more carbs, one big meal at night can be enough and you wake up much lighter the next day after peeing most of the night...
              For your non-diabetic, never been overweight, highly muscular and lean male body with a well running metabolism, yes this may be true.

Why do you not get it that for someone who was seriously overweight but now still has some to lose who is also female and taking medication for diabetes, things are different? Why is this such a difficult concept? She is different than you so the solution to her problem is different too.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                For your non-diabetic, never been overweight, highly muscular and lean male body with a well running metabolism, yes this may be true.

Why do you not get it that for someone who was seriously overweight but now still has some to lose who is also female and taking medication for diabetes, things are different? Why is this such a difficult concept? She is different than you so the solution to her problem is different too.
                Your ridiculous ad hominem does not surprise me much anymore Paleobird! Because that I am relative lean and male then I cannot have no idea of what might work for a woman with diabetes, that makes so perfectly sense inside your petty narrow-minded worldview, that it almost deserves to be true! Wakeup call; also diabetic and former obese woman can get water accumulation due to stress of dieting and can get rid of it in the way I am saying. In the case of the OP, I am not saying that this is the actual reason behind her weight stall though; she should take a checkup of amount of fat in diet and/or measuring procedures…
                "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

No neither... I was quite orthorexic about salt intake and drank a gallon of water a day then. But one day of eating more carbs and it was gone.
                  Drinking a gallon of water a day was part of the problem. In what way would you consider your salt intake "orthorexic"?

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                    Drinking a gallon of water a day was part of the problem. In what way would you consider your salt intake "orthorexic"?
                    I continued to drink a gallon a day until about 2 months or so ago. So that didn't effect to water weight I lost when I added carbs back in.

I avoided salt like the plague. I checked sodium on everything that had a label or I could look up on myfitnesspal. I never added salt to my food. I would refuse to go out to eat sometimes because restaurants tend to over salt simple steak and veggies meal. Ultimately, I was just afraid of excess sodium causing water retention.

Comment

Your ridiculous ad hominem does not surprise me much anymore Paleobird! Because that I am relative lean and male then I cannot have no idea of what might work for a woman with diabetes, that makes so perfectly sense inside your petty narrow-minded worldview, that it almost deserves to be true! Wakeup call; also diabetic and former obese woman can get water accumulation due to stress of dieting and can get rid of it in the way I am saying. In the case of the OP, I am not saying that this is the actual reason behind her weight stall though; she should take a checkup of amount of fat in diet and/or measuring procedures…
                      Look at you, all grown up and using latin terms. Please look up "ad hominem" before accusing me of this fallacy while calling me "petty and narrow minded".

Also I totally agree with you that stress could be playing a role here. How to get rid of this is to get rid of the stress. This does not have anything to do with macros.

Comment

I continued to drink a gallon a day until about 2 months or so ago. So that didn't effect to water weight I lost when I added carbs back in.

I avoided salt like the plague. I checked sodium on everything that had a label or I could look up on myfitnesspal. I never added salt to my food. I would refuse to go out to eat sometimes because restaurants tend to over salt simple steak and veggies meal. Ultimately, I was just afraid of excess sodium causing water retention.
                        Consuming massive amounts of water while denying your body salt was the entire cause of your problem.

Comment

I didn't stop drinking a gallon of water and started adding salt when I added carbs in.

I understand that drinking too much water and not having enough salt can cause water retention but that is irrelevant in this situation. Like I said neither my water or salt intake changed when I added carbs in.

Comment

Look at you, all grown up and using latin terms. Please look up "ad hominem" before accusing me of this fallacy while calling me "petty and narrow minded".
                            You are going ad hominem, because instead of following an argument you are going for the poster himself and his personal situation. What I have sent you in return ad hominem is just a little "self-defense" after you starting to pull in irrelevant personal issues about me, as you have done through the whole thread, only repeating the last:

"For your non-diabetic, never been overweight, highly muscular and lean male body with a well running metabolism, yes this may be true.

Why do you not get it that for someone who was seriously overweight but now still has some to lose who is also female and taking medication for diabetes, things are different? Why is this such a difficult concept? She is different than you so the solution to her problem is different too."

My personal situation whether I am “lean”, “male”, or “muscular” has nothing to do with what we are discussing here, it's also beyond irrelevant whether I drink Diet Coke or eat above 200 grams of carbs per day as well! All such kind of insinuations against a poster is ad hominem. How did you ever get a bachelor degree without not even knowing that, just to send you something ad hominem in return?

Also I totally agree with you that stress could be playing a role here. How to get rid of this is to get rid of the stress. This does not have anything to do with macros.
                            First, I have nowhere said that stress of dieting is the actual reason here, and yes it may also very much be related to macros since low carb diet is more stressful to most dieters, especially to those that are very active and lift heavy as the OP. What the OP can do just to rule out this option is to eat a large meal late afternoon or night; 2000 calories, moderate protein, high carbs(as high as you can go for your diabetic condition), low/moderate fat. IF you lose lot of weight in the following morning compared with the morning of the day before, 2-3 pound or more, then take 10 – 14 days OFF from dieting, eating at maintenance which should be at least 1800 – 2000 calories per day. You will probably lose some more water-weight in the following days and will restore hormonal imbalances.

If nothing happens with your “experiment” - then take a double check of fat content and measuring procedures…

- Schopenhauer

Comment

You are going ad hominem, because instead of following an argument you are going for the poster himself and his personal situation. What I have sent you in return ad hominem is just a little "self-defense" after you starting to pull in irrelevant personal issues about me, as you have done through the whole thread, only repeating the last:

"For your non-diabetic, never been overweight, highly muscular and lean male body with a well running metabolism, yes this may be true.

Why do you not get it that for someone who was seriously overweight but now still has some to lose who is also female and taking medication for diabetes, things are different? Why is this such a difficult concept? She is different than you so the solution to her problem is different too."

My personal situation whether I am “lean”, “male”, or “muscular” has nothing to do with what we are discussing here, it's also beyond irrelevant whether I drink Diet Coke or eat above 200 grams of carbs per day as well! All such kind of insinuations against a poster is ad hominem. How did you ever get a bachelor degree without not even knowing that, just to send you something ad hominem in return?

First, I have nowhere said that stress of dieting is the actual reason here, and yes it may also very much be related to macros since low carb diet is more stressful to most dieters, especially to those that are very active and lift heavy as the OP. What the OP can do just to rule out this option is to eat a large meal late afternoon or night; 2000 calories, moderate protein, high carbs(as high as you can go for your diabetic condition), low/moderate fat. IF you lose lot of weight in the following morning compared with the morning of the day before, 2-3 pound or more, then take 10 – 14 days OFF from dieting, eating at maintenance which should be at least 1800 – 2000 calories per day. You will probably lose some more water-weight in the following days and will restore hormonal imbalances.

If nothing happens with your “experiment” - then take a double check of fat content and measuring procedures…
                              Ok so for the results............I was down only one pound but my clothes "feel" looser than they have been? I did not take my measurements. I have been weighing and measuring everything I consume and have been off a few times!!

I really appreciate everyone's advice and knowledge!! Thanks a million!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sandra in BC View Post
                                Seems like alot of fruit. Try cutting back on fruit and adding more fat, meat and veggies. Have you done something like a The 21-Day Sugar Detox | Bust sugar & carb cravings naturally.
                                I have the practical paleo book that I believe has the 21 day sugar detox in it!! I will check it out!!!!!! Thank you!!

Comment

Working...
                                X