Type 2 Diabetes and Egg consumption

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Type 2 Diabetes and Egg consumption

Controlling my type 2 diabetes with a low carb primal diet; eggs are one of the foods of choice; but is it any more 'dangerous' for a type 2 diabetic to be consuming large amounts of eggs than for a healthy person; (max 8 per day)?

Originally posted by zebonaut View Post
    Controlling my type 2 diabetes with a low carb primal diet; eggs are one of the foods of choice; but is it any more 'dangerous' for a type 2 diabetic to be consuming large amounts of eggs than for a healthy person; (max 8 per day)?
    This is the second time I have read posts about supposed links between eggs and diabetes.
    It sounds like total BS - I read the study that supposedly supports the idea ( bad science from what I saw)

Don't eat toast, bread, bagels with the eggs like most CW people do.
    Limit your starchy foods.

-maintain healthy weight
    -eat REAL foods ( such as eggs, butter, meat, veg etc)
    -dont smoke
    -limit alcohol
    -some basic daily exercise
    -minimize stress

You should have a blood glucose meter - this should tell you if eggs are bad for diabetes.
    I personally don't see a problem with eating 8 eggs a day ( though I'm no expert)

The fact you're controlling your diabetes with your diet, seems indicate all is good.
    Last edited by EatMoveSleep; 06-09-2013, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Have definitely eliminated all starch; bread; etc; the reason I _have type 2 is all those years of "healthy whole wheat bread" and "low fat pizza".

Comment

Have definitely eliminated all starch; bread; etc; the reason I _have type 2 is all those years of "healthy whole wheat bread" and "low fat pizza".
        Yes you followed CW ( as most of us did) - your health suffered ( again, like most of us).

I suspect the egg/diabetes study conclusions were from a CW perspective. The results showed the egg eaters also more often drank too much alcohol, were smokers, were overweight, were older etc..........but the conclusion is that eggs is the cause of the higher diabetes......

Lately I've been eating about 8 eggs daily, I'm not diabetic, but I have a blood glucose meter - blood sugar normal as it has always been. When I eat starches then blood sugar spikes.

Good that you've taken your control of your own health.
        Last edited by EatMoveSleep; 06-09-2013, 08:32 PM.

Comment

I feel great eating up to 8 eggs a day; eggs zero glycemic load. I'm just spooked by all those years of "limit your eggs" bad science

Comment

Overload of carbs gives you diabetes in the long run. Eggs don't. Remember this and you'll be fine.
            "It's true, you are a good woman. Then again, you may be the antichrist."

Comment

I feel great eating up to 8 eggs a day; eggs zero glycemic load. I'm just spooked by all those years of "limit your eggs" bad science
              Great, it sounds like you're doing the right thing for your body.

Note : protein consumption can be converted to glucose ( but I have not seen a problem).

Spooked : if you're just starting to eat like this then this is normal. That fades over time when you start to get healthy eating opposite to how docs and dietitians tell you what to eat, and you can go through an angry phase knowing you tried to follow their suggestions over the years and got sick as a result.

I have never visited anyone that is in hospital for eating too many eggs over the years
              I having said that its good to get a variety of good foods and not go OTT on any one food.

Comment

Originally posted by EatMoveSleep View Post
                I have never visited anyone that is in hospital for eating too many eggs over the years
                ^^^
                This.

Comment

I personally feel better than I ever have eating this way; I've said farewell to high glucose; IBS; tooth decay; waistline. I feel light and energetic; when I bike I feel like "Superman" sometimes. Its clear to me this is consistent with evolutionary theory. Paleo man certainly didn't eat bagels and spagetti; nor run around with blood glucose meters in their back pocket. I blame the corporations; that profited mightily these last 50 years off of cheap carbohydrate; and through television; brainwashed us all to eat Kelloggs cereal; and instant oatmeal and low fat pizza. Yeah I'm fuming. Can't believe how bad the science was.

Comment

The agricultural lobby is incredibly powerful. Follow the money...

Comment

Can't believe how bad the science was.
                      Science was actually not used properly.
                      It's not actually science that got it wrong - they didn't use the tool properly ( for what ever reason)

It's not science - its an imposter, used by the ignorant, the lazy and the corrupt.

Like previously quoted : follow the money.

Comment

I personally feel better than I ever have eating this way; I've said farewell to high glucose; IBS; tooth decay; waistline. I feel light and energetic; when I bike I feel like "Superman" sometimes. Its clear to me this is consistent with evolutionary theory. Paleo man certainly didn't eat bagels and spagetti; nor run around with blood glucose meters in their back pocket. I blame the corporations; that profited mightily these last 50 years off of cheap carbohydrate; and through television; brainwashed us all to eat Kelloggs cereal; and instant oatmeal and low fat pizza. Yeah I'm fuming. Can't believe how bad the science was.
                        I was angry for about a year and a half.
                        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Although if eating eggs as a staple, do be sure to get true pasture ("pasture" on the label means nothing, all it means is they can go outside, which if done wrong they don't do) and/or "high" Omega 3 eggs. The "high" Omega 3 eggs are actually the eggs your grandma ate, the "regular" eggs are only something developed since the 50’s and should be called "Omega 3 deficient" eggs.
                          In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
                          Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Comment

Originally posted by loafingcactus View Post
                            Although if eating eggs as a staple, do be sure to get true pasture ("pasture" on the label means nothing, all it means is they can go outside, which if done wrong they don't do) and/or "high" Omega 3 eggs. The "high" Omega 3 eggs are actually the eggs your grandma ate, the "regular" eggs are only something developed since the 50s and should be called "Omega 3 deficient" eggs.
                            Yes good point.

Comment

Are brown eggs healthier than white; more Omega 3?

Comment

Working...
                              X