Liposuction regret and now hormone issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LittleMe View Post
    Hi there, typically I eat 3-4 meals per day. Sometimes more or less - just depends on my activity level. Sometimes I skip breakfast or I'll eat 1 egg with 3 egg whites fried in butter witn some onions and peppers, 2 slices of bacon and 1/4 avocado. Or I'll do the eggs with a green smoothie (spinach, kale, green apple, few berries with chia or hemp seed) and coffee. Lunch is usually 3-4 oz of meat - mostly chicken breast but sometimes leftover beef, 1/2 sweet potatoe and asparagus (or other vegetables) cooked in coconut oil. Dinner is usually the same as lunch as well - meat and veggies. If I get hungry in between, I snack on a small apple with almond butter or greek yogurt. The yogurt is my downfall because it satifies my sweet tooth but I think I am sensitive to dairy because I bloat instantly upon eating it and have some bad gut gurgling! I'll also add that it's really hard for me to eat a huge meal so my portions may seem small.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    I'm going to take a wild guess here and say you're possibly eating too much food. I am about a foot taller than you, and will eat less, I need much less food to be sated. Even if it's good food, excess food will be stored on the body. I know that metabolisms, etc. are all different, but from my point of view, unless you're super active every day, I don't see a need for 3-4 meals a day. Your breakfast seems like a sizeable portion, from my point of view. Also seeing a lot of carbohydrates there, with the fruit, yogurt, almond butter.

As for surgeries, yes, they can mess up the system. You might have been able to eat like that before the surgery, but the body probably changed. I know antibiotics can screw with the gut, and you probably had to take some of those post surgery. Maybe try probiotics.
    Last edited by kathleen; 06-10-2013, 11:47 AM.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Comment

Wow, I have never heard of a surgery causing weight gain. I was toying with an idea of liposuction on my thighs, but now I will stay away from it.

Certainly, drop dairy, nothing wrong with this idea; maybe dropping bacon as well if you eat it daily and going for more veggies/fruit, less fat. Did you try eating a bit of seaweed every day to help balance tyroid function?
      My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
      When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

I think the emotional and physical stress of surgery and recovery could certainly zap your adrenal function. Surgery is a traumatic event, even if you go in wanting it.
        Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
          I used to work with a woman who was morbidly obese. She said she had never been overweight until after her breast reduction surgery.
          That's scary! It's even scarier when you're doing everything right (or at least I think I am?) and I still cant shed any fat. I've read some interesting articles (after the fact) about how liposuction can affect leptin and other hormones because many of our hormones are stored in fat cells. There's not a lot of study on this - from what I've found but there is some research that has connected liposuction with hormone/metabolic problems.

Comment

Originally posted by marcadav View Post
            What do you mean when you say, "My symptoms still show hypo but my levels show that I'm actually hyperthyroid."What is determining your "hyPERthyroid-- TSH, free T4, free T3? How long have you been on your current Armour dose and what symptoms of being hypo remain?
            My dr said I was hyper and cut my Armour from 60 mg down to 30 because my TSH was low. My T3/T4 was in the normal range....I'll have to pull up my last lab results and post them. I was on the 60 mg for about 2 months and been on the 30 for about 9 months. The dr also took me off of my Levothyroxine. My symptoms are still - gaining weight, thinning hair, depressed feeling, emotional, and fatigue/low energy. I'm just tired of not feeling "normal" so to speak and all the dr's want to do is prescribe medications for each symptom. I'm tired of taking medication and ultimately feeling worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
              Wow, I have never heard of a surgery causing weight gain. I was toying with an idea of liposuction on my thighs, but now I will stay away from it.

Certainly, drop dairy, nothing wrong with this idea; maybe dropping bacon as well if you eat it daily and going for more veggies/fruit, less fat. Did you try eating a bit of seaweed every day to help balance tyroid function?
              I just wished I'd done more research before I had it done. I was very "slim" prior to surgery and only had about 16% body fat. So I'm assuming removing the little bit of fat that I had sent my body into "freak out mode." There are some studies out there that connect liposuction and weight gain. But it's not even just about the weight gain. My hormones have been so out of whack ever since. I've never had any issues prior to surgery and over the last year and a half, I can honestly say I have never felt like the same person. It's been a hormonal/emotional roller coaster. Biggest regret ever!!

Comment

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                I think the emotional and physical stress of surgery and recovery could certainly zap your adrenal function. Surgery is a traumatic event, even if you go in wanting it.
                I completely agree. Not to mention a few months after surgery, I began Crossfit 6x a week and severely restricted my calories - thinking it would help me achieve my goals faster. On top of all of that, I was going through some stressful life events and was only getting 4-5 hours of sleep per night. I was also consuming a lot of coffee and energy drinks to make it through the day. I'm sure all of this triggered a hormonal domino effect from hell.

Comment

I completely agree. Not to mention a few months after surgery, I began Crossfit 6x a week and severely restricted my calories - thinking it would help me achieve my goals faster. On top of all of that, I was going through some stressful life events and was only getting 4-5 hours of sleep per night. I was also consuming a lot of coffee and energy drinks to make it through the day. I'm sure all of this triggered a hormonal domino effect from hell.
                  I think you just answered your own question. All the information you have left out in previous posts.
                  It was not the surgery itself... It was all of this.
                  “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                  ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                  And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                    I think you just answered your own question. All the information you have left out in previous posts.
                    Exactly.

Plus, you doctor lowering your Armour based on TSH when your T3 and T4 where in range.

Comment

Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                      I'm sure all of this has contributed to the continual weight gain and other symptoms. However before crossfit, calorie restriction, sleep disturbance, etc I began gaining weight. I was about 2 months post op when I noticed I was getting "chub" in my hips/lower back. Then noticed the number on the scale going up. And at this point, I panicked. This was why I joined crossfit and began eating a very reduced calorie diet. Thinking intense workouts mixed with a low calorie diet would shed the weight. Obviously I was wrong. There's no denying that what I did contributed to a hormonal downfall. I guess what I'm looking for now is help in fixing what's been wrong. Getting back to feeling normal again. I'm not saying I want to be where I was weight wise because I think I was a bit sickly looking (at least that's what others told me). I just want my healthy lifestyle to compliment me. And not just in how I look - but more importantly how I feel.

Comment

Originally posted by brookesam View Post
                        Exactly.

Plus, you doctor lowering your Armour based on TSH when your T3 and T4 where in range.
                        Was that not a good thing to do? I know he mentioned that it wasn't good for me if my TSH levels remained low and thats why he lowered the Armour. The whole thyroid thing confuses me

Comment

From what I understand, TSH needs to be suppressed so inflammation is minimized for thyroid or any nodules. My TSH was 0.0something last time it was checked and my T3 was not in range. I didn't even have my TSH checked last time bc I'm not too worried about it. Didn't you say you have a nodule?

Also, I don't take my thyroid meds the morning of my labs. I've read countless times that doing so will show that T3 levels are higher than they actually are. Especially if you have labs done with in a few hours of taking meds. T4 peaks at around 2 hours.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure somebody else will chime in.

Comment

Was that not a good thing to do? I know he mentioned that it wasn't good for me if my TSH levels remained low and thats why he lowered the Armour. The whole thyroid thing confuses me
                            TSH is a pituitary hormone, not a thyroid hormone. It signals the thyroid to produce thyroid hormones. Taking a med containing T3 tends to make the brain/pituitary very happy and it lowers TSH. A happy brain/low TSH does not always equal a happy body/optimal thyroid hormone levels.

Armour, Naturethroid contain both T4 and T3 as well as other hormones. Cytomel is T3 only.

Too many doctors believe TSH is the hormone to watch. Doing so, can keep someone under medicated, feeling horrible, and can create other health issues.

Comment

I'm hoping someone can offer me some insight on what's going on. I'll sum it up as best as I can. I was a 31 year old mother of 3 when I decided to have a tummy tuck with liposuction. Biggest mistake ever! I wasn't overweight at all and barely had any tummy to tuck. I was however obsessed about having a perfect, flat stomach. I'm 4'10 and was always a steady 93-95 lbs before the surgery. Not to mention I ate like crap and never worked out although I never gained weight. Fast forward to today. I'm now 32 (about 1.5 yrs post op) and lets just say my stomach looks worse than before. Heck my whole body looks worse. I've gained around 20 lbs despite working out and eating about 90/10 paleo. I've never been so health cautious in my life and I still cant shed any fat. Most of the weight I've gained is in my hips, thighs and butt. Its so discouraging to feel like I'm doing everything right yet my body doesn't show it. I've also had issues with my thyroid and pcos since having the surgery. I think having liposuction may have screwed my hormones up. I need help!! I've never felt so out of control of my body!!!
                              Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
                              Hi Little Me. I'm very sorry to read about your health challenges after liposuction. I hear you. I believe you. Fat regulates hormones. Liposuction changes homeostasis. I know many people who were healthy when they had liposuction, and their weight and healthy balanced was screwed up as a direct physical result of the procedure. I have quite a bit of information about this. Let me know if you'd like to be in touch about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X