No announcement yet.

Shoes with "more structure"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have NB Minimus 730s and they look totally normal but in actuality they are thin enough I have to walk different in them from normal shoes. They were cheap, too.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Grab some hiking boots. They are like tall sneakers that cover your ankle, which protect from the ankle roll.

As for orthotics, get them somewhere else. I got my as a prescription from a chiropractor, but as far as over the counter I would recommend Superfeet. Dr. Scholl's is crap, anything you can get at WalMart is crap.

Go to REI and grab some hiking boots and Superfeet orthotics, if you need them. Make sure you are spending at least $80 on shoes, anything less will either fall apart or hurt your feet (just my personal advice as a woman who has owned several hundred pairs of shoes in her life).
      Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
      Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
      Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
      F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Comment

Originally posted by PrimalMama View Post
        I'm actually now wondering if the soles are flexible enough for marching... *sigh*

Then I would recommend the Nike Free. They're probably as minimal as you can get and still look like a real sneaker. I have both the 3.0 and the 7.0, the 3.0 having the less cushioning and the 7 the most. They also have in-between 4.0 and 5.0. Just one thing about them being, at least in my experience, they tend to run small and I had to go up a full size.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
          I have NB Minimus 730s and they look totally normal but in actuality they are thin enough I have to walk different in them from normal shoes. They were cheap, too.
          Yeah, I think Paragon and/or REI and/or City Sports gets a visit from me tonight...

Originally posted by kathleen View Post
          Grab some hiking boots. They are like tall sneakers that cover your ankle, which protect from the ankle roll.

As for orthotics, get them somewhere else. I got my as a prescription from a chiropractor, but as far as over the counter I would recommend Superfeet. Dr. Scholl's is crap, anything you can get at WalMart is crap.

Go to REI and grab some hiking boots and Superfeet orthotics, if you need them. Make sure you are spending at least $80 on shoes, anything less will either fall apart or hurt your feet (just my personal advice as a woman who has owned several hundred pairs of shoes in her life).
          nobody (at least nobody I can think of, save military peeps that wear "army boots" and the occasional oddball) wears hi-top shoes for marching, so hiking boots would look abnormal (which defeats the whole purpose of getting these new shoes)... besides, if regular ol' hiking boots were the solution, I've got a pair of those already!
          I also don't think ankle rolling is necessarily preventable with the drill and direction changes we're doing, and I know from experience that I'd rather roll my ankle in a minimalist shoe vs. a "more supportive" shoe (VFFs saved me from breaking my leg in a pothole incident, I swear), which is just one reason I'm concerned about getting new shoes.

The store around the corner from work (where I bought these hiking-shoe-ish Merrells) is an old-school store where they fit you and they specialize in orthotics, so they actually have quality orthotics, not Dr. Scholls, etc... they're probably one of the better places to go for orthotics, actually, but I have no want for orthotics, period (and I can't shop at Walmart, we don't have 'em in NYC, so I'm safe there!)

I'm tending to agree on the $80+ MSRP price range... the person who told me to get new shoes had a shocked look when I showed him the $90 Arc2 (to ask if they'd be okay) and asked "are you really going to spend THAT MUCH on shoes?!"... to which I said "that's what shoes COST!" 'cause they do... most running shoes are in the $100 range (though sales/rebates/coupons = much cheaper = happy sauce!)

Originally posted by Lynna View Post
          Then I would recommend the Nike Free. They're probably as minimal as you can get and still look like a real sneaker. I have both the 3.0 and the 7.0, the 3.0 having the less cushioning and the 7 the most. They also have in-between 4.0 and 5.0. Just one thing about them being, at least in my experience, they tend to run small and I had to go up a full size.
          I think Paragon and City Sports carry these... that might make the decision of which shop to head to

Comment

Another shoe you might want to look at is the reebok princess aerobic Amazon.com: Reebok Women's Princess Aerobics Shoe: Shoes (comes in black or white) - it's flexible, and quite flat.

Comment

I don't know how quickly you need them, but if you decide on any pairs by New Balance (I have 3 pairs of the Minimus WT20- love them!) check out joesnewbalanceoutlet.com, their prices are very good usually. No free return shipping though, so make sure you try some on at the store first.

If NB doesn't work, I would also recommend the Nike Free line, those were my gateway to minimal shoes as well.

Comment

Originally posted by liza View Post
                Another shoe you might want to look at is the reebok princess aerobic Amazon.com: Reebok Women's Princess Aerobics Shoe: Shoes (comes in black or white) - it's flexible, and quite flat.
                Omg. I had the generic version of these in the 80s... What memories! Don't think the visual staff would be happy with these either, but I guess they do have a better heel drop than most :-)

Originally posted by Badkty22 View Post
                I don't know how quickly you need them, but if you decide on any pairs by New Balance (I have 3 pairs of the Minimus WT20- love them!) check out joesnewbalanceoutlet.com, their prices are very good usually. No free return shipping though, so make sure you try some on at the store first.

If NB doesn't work, I would also recommend the Nike Free line, those were my gateway to minimal shoes as well.
                Need them by Friday (and I need to try on shoes I'm picking out for the first time)... didn't like the way the Nike uppers felt, and most of the new balances didn't look any more "normal" than the merrells I've been using (but I might try them for future endeavours, so I'll bookmark that site).

I tried on lots and lots of shoes and took home the saucony kinvara 3 (4mm drop) and the merrell crush glove (zero drop)... Both on 30%+ sale because they're last years' models. I'm going to try them w/different socks tonight and in the AM around my apartment... I tried them fairly extensively in the store, but morning feet are smaller, etc. Between how they feel and friends opinions, I currently think the saucony will win the spot in my drum corps bag.

Comment

I bought a pair of Puma sneakers once that had less than 1/4 inch of heel, and they looked like entirely normal white leather sneakers. Unfortunately I can't remember the name, but maybe such a shoe is still made by them?

Comment

I don't know why you are entertaining people who are clueless

Comment

Working...
                    X