gift ideas for newly primal/paleo friend

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gift ideas for newly primal/paleo friend

She loves to cook, and I want to get her some paleo kitchen gadgets for her upcoming shower, as she is recent convert.

I'm thinking of things like a zuchini ribbon maker --- nothing too pricey, but maybe 3-4 essential gadgets.

What tools do you use most in your kitchen since you've been primal?

Thanks!
    My journal

The gadgets that are essential and unusual since I went paleo/primal were the electric mandolin and a dehydrator. Jerky, home-made vegetable chips and nuts dehydrating are all very useful.

Other things I use a lot are Magic Bullet, hand blender and a garlic press.

Things I would not mind having but never got around to buying are salad spinner, the ribbon maker and a cast iron pan with grill barred thinggies on it (we have a fire pit, but no BBQ unit). And one can never imo have enough aprons & gloves!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

How about a paleo cookbook--"OMG That's Paleo?" comes to mind. It's around $18 on Amazon.

Comment

Amazon.com: Lodge Logic LCC3 Pre-Seasoned Combo Cooker, 10.25-inch: Kitchen & Dining

Amazon.com: NEW, 7-Inch Square-End Spatula, Turner Spatula, Grilling, Spatula, Barbecue BBQ Spatula, Solid Stainless Steel, Riveted Smooth Wood Handle, Commercial Grade: Kitchen & Dining

Also, either a pressure cooker or slow cooker for broth.

I like and use this a lot also, but this exact one isn't available right now. Amazon.com: Cuisinart CTG-00-3MS Mesh Strainers, Set of 3: Kitchen & Dining - there's probably another brand though.
        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Awesome ideas, everyone! Thanks.

Leida - I have never heard of an electric mandolin, but it sounds enticing. I use my dehydrator (mainly in summer) and hand blender tons, but I'm not going to spend that much.

Goldie and Joanie - love both ideas and very affordable (+1!). I was toying with the cookbook idea and torn between Everyday Paleo, Paleo Comfort Foods, and Diane Sanfilipino's book (can't remember title). I have not heard of the one you mentioned, Goldie, so I'm off to look it up. Joanie - I think I will be ordering two of those spatulas - one for her and one for me!

Thanks!
          My journal

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
            Jodie - what all do you use your mesh strainer for?
            My journal

Comment

I use the tiny one mostly to catch seeds when I squeeze lemon or lime into something in a glass or cocktail shaker. The big one is for straining bone broth mostly. It also worked well when I rendered some beef fat scraps. Cheese cloth probably would have given me an even better tallow, but I was amazed at how well the strainer worked. I got a really nice white-ish smooth product with no icky bits.
              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I got myself a vegetable "spiralizer" for long julienne cuts or perfect rings. It is quite fun to make pseudo-spaghetti with veggies

Comment

A paleo cookbook is a good idea. Or a slow cooker....
                  Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                  5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                  Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                  TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                  bloodorchid is always right

Comment

My sister in law gave me a single serve frypan for my birthday 10 months ago. I have used it almost every single day since, it never gets put away.
                    Annie Ups the Ante
                    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

Diane Sanfilipino's book's title is Practical Paleo, or at least that's the one I am reading right now. I find it depressing though... in my view it is too black and white, and if I did not hang around this fora and have heard alternatives opinions, it would have made me to never want to try Paleo. De Vance's book was what did it for me, with his laid back, not uptight attitude and no crazy restrictions.
                      My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                      When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                        I use the tiny one mostly to catch seeds when I squeeze lemon or lime into something in a glass or cocktail shaker. The big one is for straining bone broth mostly. It also worked well when I rendered some beef fat scraps. Cheese cloth probably would have given me an even better tallow, but I was amazed at how well the strainer worked. I got a really nice white-ish smooth product with no icky bits.
                        Perfect. I have a small one that I use for various things. I have plans to make my first bone broth soon. Also, sorry, I just noticed I botched your name.
                        My journal

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
                          Diane Sanfilipino's book's title is Practical Paleo, or at least that's the one I am reading right now. I find it depressing though... in my view it is too black and white, and if I did not hang around this fora and have heard alternatives opinions, it would have made me to never want to try Paleo. De Vance's book was what did it for me, with his laid back, not uptight attitude and no crazy restrictions.
                          Good review - it helps because I'm not a black and white person either. I like the t-shirt that says I'm 80% paleo 20% of the time. :-) I am actually pretty compliant, but I have my occasional indulgences, and it's tough starting out. So, I will nix the Sanfilipino book - don't want to discourage her!
                          My journal

Comment

Originally posted by Angieh View Post
                            Good review - it helps because I'm not a black and white person either. I like the t-shirt that says I'm 80% paleo 20% of the time. :-) I am actually pretty compliant, but I have my occasional indulgences, and it's tough starting out. So, I will nix the Sanfilipino book - don't want to discourage her!
                            I actually think it's one of the best books out there on Paleo, but then again, I'm a sucker for cookbooks with pictures and science all in one.
                            Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Comment

Working...
                            X