Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secret Sugar Confessions

So, we've all given up sugar, right?

Except I found myself buying a 5kg bag of the white death this weekend to meet all my sugary needs.

Here's the things I still use sugar for, and must publicly confess to attone for:

1. making kombucha
    2. in homemade sweet chilli sauce (about 1/3 what the recipe calls for)
    3. making pigs head brawn
    4. making coconut whiskers (about 1/3 what the recipe calls for)

What about you? What do you still use white sugar for?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

I would consider using it as a food ingredient in a savory dish such as a stir fry or a chilli sauce as you mentioned, but that's about it.
    Healthy is the new wealthy.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/ances...handnutrition/

Comment

Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
      So, we've all given up sugar, right?
      No.
      You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

I can't remember the last time I bought a bag of sugar - not just an expression, I really can't remember because I've been using artificial sweeteners for so many years. Now I'm weaning myself from aspartame to stevia which is pretty easy since I just like a wee touch in my morning coffee.

That said, I will occasionally buy a brownie - that's wheat and sugar! I'm not a big fan of honey, and I never tried agave* after I researched it. I sometimes sweeten curry with an artificial sweetener.

*Except distilled into tequila.
        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I used to keep some sugar around for guests but I haven't bought any in years.

Comment

I have a bucket of sugar in my kitchen that I can't remember when I bought it. It's been there for years. I use it to make occasional treats, but it's not moving very fast.

Comment

I have been switching to raw honey whenever I can, but still use sugar for desserts now and then. DD prefers white sugar to honey in her tea, but has weaned herself down to 2tsp per cup. I don't get too wigged out over the 15-50 cals of sugar my family averages/per day. There's plenty of other stuff to worry about, including the air we breath.
              50yo, 5'3"
              SW-195
              CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
              GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Comment

First off what are: pigs head brawn & coconut whiskers?

I use white sugar to make Kombucha and for special occasions Hazelnut Dacquoise with whip cream. I don't think you can make a proper meringue with honey, though possibly with xylitol.
                Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Yup. Sugar... organic sucanat for water kefir.

I'm thinking of giving a batch a go with date sugar(ground dried whole dates).
                  But I pretty much expect it to flop. LOL
                  Maybe it will surprise me!
                  “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                  ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                  And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
                    First off what are: pigs head brawn & coconut whiskers?

I use white sugar to make Kombucha and for special occasions Hazelnut Dacquoise with whip cream. I don't think you can make a proper meringue with honey, though possibly with xylitol.
                    Pigs head brawn is roast pigs head (in a little bit of water, about a spoonful of sugar, a bay leaf, peppercorns and garlic cloves).

Coconut whiskers are a kind of oven baked biscuit. Recipe from saint allison.

Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                    Yup. Sugar... organic sucanat for water kefir.

I'm thinking of giving a batch a go with date sugar(ground dried whole dates).
                    But I pretty much expect it to flop. LOL
                    Maybe it will surprise me!
                    Have you tried steeping the kefir in various flavours of tea?
                    Last edited by magicmerl; 05-23-2013, 08:34 PM.
                    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                    bloodorchid is always right

Comment

I still go through a lot of sugar, but now it's mostly for the hummingbird nectar. In the summer the birds go through about 5-8# a month. For cooking, I'll still bake for my husband if he wants something like a cobbler or cookies. One batch of cookies takes him weeks to go through, so it isn't often.

Comment

I've not bought white sugar in a long time, but I still have a container of it in my pantry. I use it for:

Certain savory dishes that call for small amounts, notably my mom's delicious fajitas recipe
                        Rare baking occasions where more primal sweeteners just aren't quite right
                        And sometimes, just sometimes, I really need a childhood favorite- butter and sugar on a warmed tortilla. At least I use corn tortillas and real butter now.

Comment

I served the last of a bag of white sugar for coffee and tea at Christmas (hosting a huge brunch) but haven't bought any more since. Once a week or so I add a bit of raw honey to plain yogurt for a treat but I think I've lost my sweet tooth. I eat unsweetened baking chocolate as a treat now.
                          be the hair that knots with my hair
                          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                          primal since oct. 1, 2012

Comment

My bag of sugar was one of the things I purged when I became primal. Had a lot of trash that day.

Comment

Originally posted by smartuko View Post
                              My bag of sugar was one of the things I purged when I became primal. Had a lot of trash that day.
                              Yep...this exactly. When I need something sweet ill bake something with honey. I don't even have white sugar in my house anymore.

Comment

Working...
                              X