No announcement yet.

Secret Sugar Confessions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't use sugar but I do have a 500g packet in the cupboard for my dh to use in his coffee. I think he's slowed down his use considerably because I don't have to replace it nearly so often.

My dd would use it in baking but since I don't keep flour in the house she doesn't really bake any more. That makes her sad, but I don't want to let her because I don't want us all eating it. It is delicious though.

If I want occasional sweetness I use honey, like maybe a teaspoon at a time, so that lasts a long time also - not quite as long as the sugar because the girls use it on toast and crumpets.

Oops, just remembered I used sugar in my feijoa chutney - my bad.
    Annie Ups the Ante
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

My dd would use it in baking but since I don't keep flour in the house she doesn't really bake any more. That makes her sad, but I don't want to let her because I don't want us all eating it. It is delicious though.
      If she enjoys baking, get her some coconut flour and let her loose with some "paleo baked goods". I bake up some muffins and things when I get the urge to bake. That way, if you decide you want some, no issues with gluten and she can enjoy perfecting the art of coconut flour baking. Plus the coconut flour is pricey, so kind of limiting on the quantity one might bake.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
      Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by Annieh View Post
        I don't use sugar but I do have a 500g packet in the cupboard for my dh to use in his coffee. I think he's slowed down his use considerably because I don't have to replace it nearly so often.

If I want occasional sweetness I use honey, like maybe a teaspoon at a time, so that lasts a long time also - not quite as long as the sugar because the girls use it on toast and crumpets.

Oops, just remembered I used sugar in my feijoa chutney - my bad.
        I would definitely recommend xylitol as the substitute for sugar. Now, if you never had it, you may have some gastric discomfort at the beginning (we did not in our family, it seems to be about gut bacteria) but this is temporary and your consumption can be progressive so you don't overdo it from the start. I read that some people dislike it for this or that reason but having been myself sugar addict, I can tell you it will satisfy your sweet tooth and holds good in baking. It is low glycemic, helps dental health, prevents ear infection in kids, helps against cold and sinus issues, promotes bone density, etc. I don't know why xylitol is not more popular to be honest ... the price is high though ... but it is not addictive at all.

Comment

Pour the sugar in a neighbors lawn, particularly near a fire ant mound. Can't use it if you don't buy it.

Excuse me for any typos and sarcastic remarks, sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

Working...
          X