Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you feel like when you allow some non primal back in?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like the others, I just don't feel as great as when I stick to the blueprint.

Overdose of pizza, battered fish or cheap restaurant food makes me feel bloated, gassy and sore. Not only that, but it doesn't taste nice to me either.

Home baking if it's really delicious seems to have no dastardly effects so that's why I seldom indulge but when I do I make sure to enjoy it.
    Annie Ups the Ante
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

Interesting how differently it affects each of us...I'm still a little bloated. I definitely will stay gluten/wheat free for the rest of my life. I'm remembering how often I used to have to take pills for bloating and gas issues before I went Primal. I'm guessing it was gluten.

Comment

It depends. I am so bloated right now after 2 days of clean eating. Go figure.

For me it depends. Sometimes some gluten is not bad, sometimes I feel awful. Seed oils just taste rancid, so I never make that mistake anymore. And alcohol...... always bloats me for a week. I did have 2 beers with a friend and was fine. So random.

The good thing is that I prefer primal foods so rarely go off the program.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
        Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

I've stated before, I'm probably among the minority on this site in that switching to eating primal did not effect any noticeable change in how I feel. The only change I've seen is a slight decrease in weight - and that isn't even really what I'm trying to do (I'm stalling on my heavy lifts, so I'd actually like to gain some muscle mass).

Having a bowl of ice cream or whatever once a week doesn't change anything.

Comment

I can eat small bits, my 20%, as sweetened Greek yogurt or rice crackers and be fine. But the moment I have something alcoholic - I get that hot, overstuffed, revved metabolism issue. I'm in that state right now - had a terrible night of hot flashes and restlessness after a meal out at friends that included some gluten grains, some sugar and two glasses of red wine over about 5 hours.

The other big effect of eating/drinking off-plan is bloat. I have 4.5 extra lbs on board this morning than I did 3 mornings ago - and that feels gross. I know it's temporary, but it's demoralizing...

Sure is motivating to get back on track, though!

Comment

The number one thing that I notice a difference in is protein & fat quality.
              I'm not particularly gluten or sugar sensitive, but if I eat CAFO meats and "vegetable" oils, I have more aches, tiredness, menstrual cramps (I'm cramp-free when I'm careful about the sourcing of my meats)...

Comment

I don't feel the same vitality that I do after a string of clean meals. I don't get reactions as severe as some reported on here, but it's a marked difference. My mouth certainly doesn't feel as clean.
                Meat is Prized, Wheat is Despised.

Real Food - The REAL staff of life

Comment

I'm also one of the "lucky" ones that isn't negatively affected by non-paleo foods, the biggest difference for me is that with paleo foods I can eat all I want, literally stuff myself and never feel bloated or sick afterwards. However, if I eat the same amount of non-paleo foods, say a pizza for example, I will get the "normal" carb sickness that most of us had gotten used to over the course of our lives and it wil last a few hours, I will feel lethargic and bloated. But if I only eat a little, say a piece of bread or a bowl of rice, I wont feel sick afterwards.

I say I'm "lucky" because I have to be very careful with non-paleo foods because I wont necessarily feel bad after eating them and thus, it is easier for me to fall off the wagon.
                  Last edited by jaczor; 05-21-2013, 05:09 PM.

Comment

I cooked up some Tuscan meatballs with rice and veg last night, not sure whether the meatballs had sneaky gluten or soy, or the rice was the issue. I have no problems with cheating, it hurts too much! Thinking I may try Midori and soda for my birthday, can't tolerate southern and coke anymore!

Comment

Went to my sister's house for a Passover meal. I did great until dessert. She had made a flourless chocolate cake and key lime pie. I figured it was only half bad, no flour, only sugar, so I ate a piece of each. Within about 20 minutes I was bloated and nauseated. I was sick most of the next day, too. Physical reactions like that are a good incentive to NOT eat that stuff.
                      Ann of the Jungle's Primal Blueprint Journal:
                      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread78155.html

Comment

Originally posted by PrimalMama View Post
                        The number one thing that I notice a difference in is protein & fat quality.
                        I'm not particularly gluten or sugar sensitive, but if I eat CAFO meats and "vegetable" oils, I have more aches, tiredness, menstrual cramps (I'm cramp-free when I'm careful about the sourcing of my meats)...
                        This is interesting - my cramps have gone from unbearable to bearable for 2 months. My meat had been nearly all high quality during that time... this last month I've been back to more grocery store meat... I wonder if it will matter.

Comment

Working...
                        X