Question about Vitamin D.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Vitamin D.

I found out my vitamin D level was 20. Even after taking 2000iu for quite a while. I upped the dose to 10000iu a day. I can't afford another test. How long on average does it take to bring up your D levels? I burn very easily so don't get a lot of sun even though I live in Az.

Everyone's different, but the average is 3-6 months, from what I have seen with my clients.

Maintenance dosage is generally 1000 IUs per 25 lbs of body weight.
    Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
    Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
    Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Thank you Dragonfly, that's a close enough estimate for me. So at 1000iu per 25lbs, I should be taking 8000iu anyhow.

Comment

Yes, for maintenance, but I took 12,000 IUs for 6 months to get my levels up.

Comment

I stopped at 10,000 because the research I read said it was safe. Is there a max that shouldn't be exceeded at any one time?

Comment

10,000 IUs is safe. 20,000 IUs is generally considered the upper limit.

Our skin will make up to 20,000 IUs per day from sun exposure.

However, when I feel like I am coming down with a cold, I take 40,000 IUs per day for 2-3 days. No problems. D3 get used up by stress, fighting infections, inflammation, etc.

Make sure you are getting A & K from diet & supplement Magnesium --all are co-factors of D3.

Comment

I eat plenty of Liver and I take a mag supplement 250mg of mag citrate. I also eat fermented foods.

Comment

Sounds great!

Comment

You may have trouble with utilizing it in the supplement form.

You should reeeeaally get sun.

Comment

Also take D3 with your fattiest meal of the day as it is fat soluble and this can almost double your body's ability to absorb it.

Comment

I go from white to red back to white with lots of pain while red. Sun is not the friend I would like it to be.

I take all my supplements with food, and nobody ever accused me of being a low fat eater.

Comment

Which brand are you taking? When tested, some brands of vitamin D3 barely have any actual D3.
                        Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

I take 20,000IU daily of D3 as Cholecalciferol with 2 x LEF Super K (= 2x (K1 1mg + K2mk4 1mg + K2mk7 0.2mg)) as I've got b***er all sun for the last several years, having worked nights and being mostly indoor anyway. I'll assume I'm low and plan to give it a year or so at this level.

From what I've read (D3 and K2 books) the vitD toxicity is generally caused by VitK2 deficiency, so if you load up on D3 it can pull calcium out of bones and put it into tissues where K2 makes sure the calcium is directed into bones and teeth. But both D3 and K2 do a lot more than just manage calcium levels, hence my boosting both. My father is on 10,000 IU D3 and the same K2 dose as me. We're playing a guessing game here as vit D levels is not something the NHS generally tests for, but with K2's role in myelin sheath repairs, and D3's general health boosting potential, I'm happy to boost both for him.
                          Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

Comment

Update

I took about 3 doses of 20,000 IU of D3 and have been taking 6000 iu daily since and have noticed that I haven't been burning as much.

Comment

I supplement with vit-D3 all winter here in DK but expose my skin (sometimes all my body ...) daily during summer time. I become as dark brown as you could wish, no burn at all but I am a southerner ...

Comment

Working...
                              X