Newbie question about coconut oil

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie question about coconut oil

Hi all. I hope this isn't a silly question... I noticed a lot of people talking about moisturizing with coconut oil. Question: Where's the best place to get it? Is it the same as the coconut oil you would use in cooking? Also, if I get too much and don't use it up, will it go bad?

Thanks for any input.

One and the same. I prefer unrefined because it smells like coconut oil. Refined doesn't (which lots of people prefer) You can get it at any health food store or online - Amazon has it. Trust me, you will use it before it goes rancid; it has a shelf life of about 5 years. I'm in New York and it's easiest to find Spectrum organic.

Comment

Diane,

I keep a smallish tin in the bathroom to use on my skin. When I buy a new jar of CO, I just scoop a little out and refill the tin. I also vote for the unrefined. The BF says the coconut scent is hot :-D
      If you have a Whole Foods in your area, their 365 brand is my absolute favorite for taste and scent.

Comment

It is amazing stuff...I always have some on hand to make soap but I use it in my lip balms, lotion bars, natural deodorant, etc. I cooked in it once but did not care for it <hides>

Comment

Yes, I love coconut oil to death as a moisturizer - its the only thing I use! I buy mine from Nutiva. They carry raw, organic coconut oil.
          Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

Thanks all! kuno1chi, I like the idea about a small tin, I'll keep that in mind.

(woohoo shopping triiiiiiip!)

Comment

Working...
            X