Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade larabars

Do any of you make your own "larabars"
    My hubbys going to be away on a moterbike trip, end of this month and i was trying to think of good energy type things I can send with him that dont take up a lot of room.
    Ran across larabars but on looking at the ingredients am wondering if I couldent just make my own?

Are they blended smooth and formed into bars or chunky or?
    Any fav combinations?
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

i think we get larabars here in our organic food store. incredibly expensive. i make raw fruit cake which you can make into bars. i have even made it into balls and dipped them in dark choc. i can dig out the recipe if you would like. i have also ground up things like cashews and apricots and dates and made bars. and then there are also the cocoa almond balls out the PB cookbook i think which i take tramping with us sometimes.

Comment

I guess a dollar each is pretty expensive when you think about it. 230 calories in the cashew cookie. it would take five of them to pass 1000 calories = $5.00. Wait, that's actually not a bad deal... I don't know now!
      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

well add on shipping to 'cause I found them at iherb in the US.. so id have to have them shipped over.. & then im sure customs would want to stick their paw in..
        Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

Comment

I looked into it but it was like the same price to buy them, as it was to make them, so I just buy them for $1.25 when I want one.
          *Sara*

Comment

They're so damn easy to make.

I get a kg of pitted dates (not medjool, but sayer dates, they're smaller and I think they taste better) for $5.

I put about 3/4c dates in my mini chopper and about 1/3 c. nuts, a couple tbsp toasted unsweetened coconut (I leave this out sometimes) and cocoa powder, a splash of vanilla, a couple scrinches of sea salt and pulse until it rolls up into a big ball in the processor. This makes 4 bars in around 65g each (yes, I'm a spaz and weigh them so they're the same). I don't eat them but my mister likes to take them in his lunch.

I switch the flavours up pretty much every time I make them. His fave is cocoa, coconut and roasted cashews, although he said macs make a moister bar. He also likes when I throw some cacao nibs in there, he says it adds a nice crunch.

I've left out the cocoa and used some pumpkin pie spice and subbed pecans before, he loves those.

The combinations are endless and they're so cheap to make I can't justify buying them.

Comment

I've never tried them, but you can see the ingredients listed on their products page as a guide. Ingredients are listed most first, least last. You could make any of them.

Comment

Thanks thats pretty much the info I was looking for.. so im guessing the dates work as the sweeter & binder, & I could add any dried fruit, nuts etc to obtain the desired flavor....

Comment

crap.. I thought I had a bag of dates in the cupboard.. looks like somebody snarfed them....

Comment

lemontwisst nailed it. That's your basic recipe...nuts and dates. That's the base of every lara bar. If you use those two things whatever third thing you add can become a major flavor. Dark chocolate? Yes, please. My personal favorite is adding dried cherries. So amazing.
                    be the hair that knots with my hair
                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                    primal since oct. 1, 2012

Comment

How long would these last without refrigeration? I suppose you could vacuum seal them, but that seems like a waste (plastic).
                      Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                        How long would these last without refrigeration? I suppose you could vacuum seal them, but that seems like a waste (plastic).
                        I wrap mine individually in wax paper or kraft paper and tie them with string or tape them. They've been delicious as long as they last. Which so far has been almost a month! They usually are nabbed immediately by anyone who sees them but occasionally I hide a few and they're still great after a few weeks. Nothing I use requires refrigeration so the shelf life seems to be decent. You could always keep them in the fridge though.
                        be the hair that knots with my hair
                        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                        primal since oct. 1, 2012

Comment

I stock up on Larabars when I can get them at .50 per bar. I do this with a .75/3 coupon printed from coupons.com, doubled at a store that has them on sale for $1.

Ya know, I've tried many different flavors but the only one I really like is Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough. In my opinion, it is the best.

Comment

I love them all except the cookie/chocolate varieties. My favorites are the new Key Lime Pie and Lemon Bar. Damn!

I need to make some of these. If I do I'll try to stop being lazy and actually document the process.
                            The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

Comment

They only carry four or five flavours of them here in Canada, and the cheapest I've ever seen them is $1, by buying a box of 16 for $16. And we don't get to do rad things like doubling coupons here, either.

Comment

Working...
                              X