Homemade larabars

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Cashew Cookie is my favorite.

I rarely see them as low as $1, but I stock up when they're that cheap!
    Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
      I guess a dollar each is pretty expensive when you think about it. 230 calories in the cashew cookie. it would take five of them to pass 1000 calories = $5.00. Wait, that's actually not a bad deal... I don't know now!
      It's expensive compared to buying in bulk and making your own.
      --
      Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
      I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
      I'd apologize, but...

Comment

I make them a lot. Just throw the dates into a food processor and process until you get a big ball. Add whatever goodies you like (in the food processor or transfer to a bowl and mix by hand, great workout!), then spread it out on an 8 x 8 pan (use parchment paper to avoid sticking, bottom and top) and press to compact. Easy peasy!

Also, if you have a Grocery Outlet in your area, you can find a box of 16 for $5.99, quite the deal! Do watch out for the Uber Lara bars if you are grain free (brown rice syrup), though as a once in a blue moon quick snack they are pretty good.

Comment

I wouldn't care if it costs more to make them yourself. I find most of the Lara bars have a strange taste to them. They taste more like sour raisins to me than dates.

I have found imported pressed dates at an Asian market. It's probably possible to find something similar elsewhere. It's basically dates already smooshed up into a block. You could probably use those date things with the coconut on them as a base, too. I've used this stuff to make bars by hand since I don't have a food processor (yet).
          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Lara bars are available at Costco - at least the stores in Calgary - not sure the price as I don't buy them often but IIRC it works out to 0.50 per bar. The only thing is it is a box with only 3 standard flavours.

Comment

OK, did anyone else come to this thread because they thought the title was "homemade larvabars" and wondered how you sweeten larva?

Comment

With coconut sugar of course

Hmm i wonder if i could get dried larva... Hubby would never have to know what added that extra crunch....

Made the first batch tonight, dates, cinnamon, coconut and pecans.... Came out pretty tasty
                Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Dried littl' shrimp come pretty close.
                  My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                  When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Partly I'm asking, cause it's cicada year here in the NE USA, and every time I move a rock in the garden, all those critters are just sitting there, waiting to hatch. On the other side, what kinda meal would adult cicadas make?

Comment

Sixteen Ways to Eat a Cicada: The Fine Art of Insect Cuisine
                      How to Eat a Cicada: Noisy Insect Sparks New Food Trend - TIME
                      04/23/2012 Max Weight : 448 lbs
                      01/01/2014 Initial Weight : 428 lbs
                      06/23/2015 Current weight : 288 lbs
                      12/31/2015 Goal weight : 208 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by MattyH View Post
                        Partly I'm asking, cause it's cicada year here in the NE USA, and every time I move a rock in the garden, all those critters are just sitting there, waiting to hatch. On the other side, what kinda meal would adult cicadas make?
                        One that is high in roughage, no doubt.

Comment

Working...
                        X