No announcement yet.

Angelina Jolie

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i've seen cancer deaths up close and personal. to call it agonizing for the person dying is an understatement, to call it agonizing for the family sitting vigil is also an understatement

it is an ugly, horribly painful death

be blase all you want, if it can be avoided there's nothing wrong with avoiding it
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
    lol

Comment

• If the issue is with the gene mutation then that is the root factor. The problem does not lay with any body part.

Support the body, do not take away from it, do not add harm towards it. This will give the best odds on whether or not the mutated gene wakes up or stays dormant.

I am not sure how the doctors were able to determine the risks/odds, I for one, would not trust any counsel they may or may not have had from the company who patented this mutated gene and their owned genetic test.

Bottomline, if the human condition is not supported, no amount of exterior intervention, i.e. surgery, will change the course of genetic expression.

Comment

• Originally posted by StephenHLi View Post
        If the issue is with the gene mutation then that is the root factor. The problem does not lay with any body part.

Support the body, do not take away from it, do not add harm towards it. This will give the best odds on whether or not the mutated gene wakes up or stays dormant.

I am not sure how the doctors were able to determine the risks/odds, I for one, would not trust any counsel they may or may not have had from the company who patented this mutated gene and their owned genetic test.

Bottomline, if the human condition is not supported, no amount of exterior intervention, i.e. surgery, will change the course of genetic expression.
        I was under the impression that someone who gets a preventative masectomy can no longer get breast cancer. Is it not that simple?

Comment

• Originally posted by sjmc View Post
          I was under the impression that someone who gets a preventative masectomy can no longer get breast cancer. Is it not that simple?
          Sjmc,

The BRCA gene mutation involves higher risk for cancer related to tissues of the breasts and ovaries and other tissues as well.

If there is LESS breast tissue, there is less risk or chance for cancer to develop because there is less cell turnover. Less cell turnover means less cell damage/repair. (With the gene mutation of BRCA, their is a "broken" repair process, so instead of normal cells repairing, there may be "abnormal" [tumor, cysts/calcifications] cells growing instead).

Now, is there a surgical intervention that can remove 100% perfect all breast tissue? Do women who anticipate future breast enlargement surgery still require maybe....1% or 5% of normal breast tissue to support the enhancement?

From the article, Angelina was told some statistics, either by her MD's or by the scientists from the company who has monopoly over the gene testing on BRCA. The article mentioned that after Angelina's breasts removal she now has a 5% risk for breast cancer...down from 87% risk.

Where did these numbers arise from? I do not know. I do know, that numbers, statistics can all be manipulated or translated into whatever is needed at that time to support whatever argument at hand.

Now, I feel, the closest thing to reduce that risk to 0% is to remove the mutated gene. But no one is able to do that.....yet (or they ain't telling us).

Even with that mutated gene removal......there may still be a 0.0000001% risk for cancer.

So what happens after removal of the defected gene? Do we replace it with another non-mutated gene? Can Stem Cells play a role here? What happens to the rest of that human? Is he or she still human? Does this person lose their intellectual capacity?

There are some scientists who believe there are benefits that go along with this mutated BRCA gene, like higher intellect.

No one knows, I don't know what would happen if the gene was removed/replaced.

What I do know is if mastectomy happens, there are no more "your breasts". Those are gone. But the gene is still there. The mutation is still there. The higher risk for ovarian cancer is still there.

The ovaries can be the next stuff to remove. But the gene is still there. The mutation is still there. The risk for cancer affecting "other" tissues is still there.

So even after all the procedures, after all the doctor's visits....if a person does not end up supporting normal cell flourishment, cancer is always still a risk.

And in no way am I saying that Angelina was doing a horrible job at supporting her normal cell growth. I do not know her, what her life entails, but what I do know is that she did not have breast cancer. So whatever support she was undertaking, it was doing a good enough job already.

Comment

• Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
            she didn't want to die like her mom

it's her body she'll do what she wants with it

a woman is more than her body parts

medical advancements aren't all bad

you see where i'm going with this
            This.
            Meat is Prized, Wheat is Despised.

Real Food - The REAL staff of life

Comment

• Isn't it cute how everybody talks about her as "Angelina" as if they had the right to claim BFF status with her?

Comment

• No. She spends time and resources selling that to anyone who is willing to look at her.
                "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Comment

• Stephen, thanks for the response, I was having a moment of forgetfulness when I posted I guess. Maybe it's telling that my subconscious would spew that even though I've read these stats many times

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                    Isn't it cute how everybody talks about her as "Angelina" as if they had the right to claim BFF status with her?
                    what else are we supposed to call her?
                    beautiful
                    yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                    lol

Comment

• Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
                      what else are we supposed to call her?
                      How about Ms. Jolie?

What bugs me is everybody picking apart what are very personal decisions for her as if they had the right to meddle. It just seems disrespectful.

Comment

• it'd be voight, or whatever her mom's maiden name was

no one here is meddling. at least i hope no one here is sending her letters praising or denouncing her decision. everyone is putting forth their personal opinions using her as the avatar, and agreeing or disagreeing with each other
                        beautiful
                        yeah you are

lol

Comment

• What bugs me is everybody picking apart what are very personal decisions for her as if they had the right to meddle. It just seems disrespectful.
                          It's the price you pay for being a celebrity and getting all of those advantages for no significantly useful talent. I feel exactly no sympathy for Angelina. She could choose to live a life of discretion. She chooses not to for whatever reason.

I feel more sympathy for the poor men and women with actual jobs that could not afford cancer treatment if they needed it. Or women who can't afford mammograms. I don't really feel bad for someone who lives her personal life on camera being scrutinized for a medical decision she made public.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                          Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

• She didn't make it public for ego strokes. She went public in order to advocate for genetic testing to be available for everyone.

All insurance programs cover mammograms.

Comment

• Not everyone has insurance to cover a mastectomy. I still know many uninsured.

At any rate, I don't care what she did and why she did, but if you don't want to be judged and/or talked about don't have a press conference. And I imagine she has a massive ego....not that it's a negative thing, but humble people rarely parade their lives quite like the Hollywood A list does. I'm sure she loves the attention and the idea that she is helping women.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                              Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

• Maybe she really is helping women. Such cynicism.

Comment

Working...
                                X