No announcement yet.

Going Blind if not Wearing Sunglasses?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going Blind if not Wearing Sunglasses?

I went to my optical, and got this interesting piece that I have never heard before. The optometrist said because I am light colored (skin, eyes), I am high risk for blindness after 50, so I should wear sunglasses all the time, even if it is cloudy outside. Is it a real thing, does anyone know? I am not a big sunglasses user normally.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

My mother, who is very pale and has light eyes, had cataract surgery and complications. Maybe I should get some sunglasses. I want to avoid that at all costs, even though I don't have light eyes like her.

Comment

My grandmother and grandfather were from Slavic countries in Europe, light-skinned and pale eyes. Both had cataract surgery, but it's not until now, at the age of 87, that my grandmother appears to be significantly losing her sight. I am taking reasonable precautions, but not stressing about it. Their kids (my father & aunt) wear glasses, are over 50, but so far no other issues.
      Depression Lies

Comment

I have dark eyes and I find being outside without sunglasses during the day to be uncomfortable even when it's overcast. I prefer good quality polarized lenses and I always have them with me.
        http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Originally posted by Daemonized View Post
          I have dark eyes and I find being outside without sunglasses during the day to be uncomfortable even when it's overcast. I prefer good quality polarized lenses and I always have them with me.
          I have light eyes and feel the same. Always have needed sun glasses in the sun and my son ( whose eyes are even a lighter blue) is he same if not worse.

Comment

I have terrible light sensitivity and I talked to my optician about it and she said it was because I had blue eyes. But blue eyes are a lot more common than my vamipirsh tendencies so I wasn't convinced it was the full story! I have since discovered that it is most likely caused by EDS in me, and that gluten is a big trigger. I was glutened at the weekend and I have been wearing shades all day (including in the house) since.

I have no idea if it means I am at risk for blindness but I do know that I have to be very careful with my eyes.

Comment

Blond, blue-eyed Swedish-Finn here and I wear sunglasses only in Spring/Summer because the glare is rather uncomfortable for me. I live in Southern California. If I need cataract surgery when I'm old, oh well.
              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I have hazel eyes, olive skin. I had cataract surgery when I was 50. I always had sensitivity to bright light and also never wore sunglasses, because I was extremely nearsighted and work extremely thick glasses, never bothered to get sunglasses. I also believe that years of using inhaled corticosteroids for chronic asthma contributed to my cataracts. The first year was great and then I started getting terrible floaters. I feel like I'm looking though a dirty fish tank and there's nothing they can do about floaters. Of course, it's great not to have to wear glasses all the time. I do wear sunglasses now.

My son was told at the age of 35 he needed cataract surgery (he goes to a different doctor than I). He ended up with really high eye pressure and a detached retina, which took surgery and 8 weeks of having to lie on his face. Try to not get cataracts until you're old a feeble.

Comment

I have light blue eyes and just had an eye exam a couple of weeks ago. She read me the riot act for not wearing sunglasses and said I was starting cataracts
                  Started Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, and 5' 1", reached goal weight in 5 months.
                  Lowest weight 93lbs - too thin. Now stable at around 100lbs much better weight for me at my age.
                  Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Comment

My eyes are extremely light sensitive and I wear sunglasses almost all the time during the day outdoors, sunny or cloudy. Actually cloudy days can sometimes hurt my eyes even more, as "white" light hurts the most. Sun bouncing off snow is excruciating. My eyes are hazel, I have no idea if eye color matters or if I'm just sensitive.
                    High Weight: 225
                    Weight at start of Primal: 189
                    Current Weight: 174
                    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Comment

I was getting bored with my contacts, so when I got my last pair of glasses, I got the lenses that transition from light to dark. I absolutely love them. The only time I notice they're doing their job is when I go from very dark lighting to very bright or vice versa. Otherwise they just gradually protect my eyes. I'd never go back.

When I wore contacts daily, I had lots of different sunglasses from serious men in black to goofy or fun. I'm dark with dark eyes. I don't know how to explain it, but when I wear good polarizing sunglasses, it just feels like I'm doing good for my eyes. Sort of like you don't really know you're straining your eyes 'til you stop. That's just my take.
                      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Thanks, folks. The only person in my family that I remember who had eye problems was my grandma, and she did not get problems till she was over 70... I guess, I will start wearing glasses. But boy, I hate them, keep losing, dropping, squashing them, and they rub behind my ears and my nose, fog up, get dirty...
                        My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                        When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

I find if I am in the sun all day without sunglasses I also get headaches that feel like they are coming from my eyes, like my eyes are sore.

Comment

I am from a country where everybody has blue or gray eyes, even hazel is rare and brown - extremely rare. Sure, we do wear sunglases for our comfort but not non-stop. Older country ladies like my grandmother, her sister, step sister, etc did not have any sunglases, lived till nearly 90 and no cataracts. My mom at 72 had eye surgery for better vision but no cataract (if it was there, gues they could do it at the same time). No problems for my dad. And so on. Actually I have not seen anybody with cataract, except some old dogs, but thats different.
                            Imagine that the blue colour is made a scape goat because its different from majority.

Comment

Both my parents blue-eyed and brown-eyed had cataract surgery. If there's a link to actual eye-colour, then I suspect it's more likely to be via skin colour and thus differing rates of vit D production. I've heard some mentions of eyesight responding to D3 supplementation and also I'm sure one of the paleo/low-carb books I've read mentions sugar intake wrt cataract. Sorry, can't recall which ... ah, Loren Cordain in the Paleo answer links them to lactose and galactose in milk - p100. Apparently lab animals are routinely given high milk and lactose diets to induce cataracts.

I've worn glasses since I was 16 until recently when I started on eye exercises to improve my myopia. With all I've read now, I'm pretty sure my eyesight problems, which only occurred at 16, were linked to a deteriorating diet that was also responsible for 35 years of constant acne - most likely the shift just before then from raw milk to supermarket milk .

When I do the eye exercises (which I'm sure that most opticians/optometrists will tell you don't work) they do work and my eyesight/prescription has improved since I started, even though I'm inconsistent. I'm willing to bet this is another modern ailment (didn't Weston Price notice lower levels of myopia in HG societies?) that's down to the modern diet. Grok didn't have sunglasses, which is a reasonable clue that our eyes evolved to deal effectively with natural sunlight. The impact of modern diet and the differing wavelengths of electronic screens, however, are a different matter. At the moment I see much clearer in bright sunlight (hazel eyes, red hair, pale skin) so even though I like the 'look' I don't wear sunglasses unless I need to use my prescription lenses and then the tinted ones are favourites.

Sorry, can't see sunglasses doing as much to prevent cataracts as tweaking diet.
                              Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

Comment

Working...
                              X