Going Blind if not Wearing Sunglasses?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curious.

I've recently pretty much stopped wearing sunglasses, thinking about the get up and get some sun in your eyes line I read somewhere, and thinking that Grok didn't have RayBans.
    I have to say that I'm surprised by how little the sun bothers me now.

I have blue eyes, and my Dad had cataract surgery at 78.

My inner skeptic says that Optometrist will always say you need them so they can sell you some.

Comment

Well, I remember that some traditional cultures wore hair screens to prevent snow-blindness. I am wondering if it is the case of moving from one's native environment. Like if I moved to Florida or California, it might have been a problem, but here, up north? Does it matter?
      My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
      When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Also, folks, does anyone has any links on dairy and cataracts/blindness? I can't find anything with a search. Cordain is not the most recent source, so I was wondering if there has been any compelling articles about it? I am going back and forth between eating Greek Yogurt/cheese and not (I don't drink milk), so that would be a good point in favor of dropping dairy for me.

Comment

There seem to be plenty of articles etc if you google cataracts and lactose, no idea how many are studies/papers as opposed to opinion.

Of course, that dairy induces cataracts in lab animals doesn't prove anything since some humans at least have evolved some level of lactose digestion/tolerance, that rabbits and rats don't have.
          Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

Comment

Living in Sweden I have never heard of this. And most of the people I see outside don't wear sunglasses even though I think they should, because constantly squinting gives you wrinkles really fast. (So wear sunglasses in the summer, people! Even when it is cloudy outside, because the sun shines through the clouds and bothers your eyes all the same. Once you start wearing sunglasses regularly you will really feel the difference between wearing them and not wearing them. Sunglasses are more relaxing for your eyes.)

I know that blue eyes see better in the dark, that's a a fact. It has to do with breaking down colors in some way. But higher risk for blindness? I have never heard that people in Nordic countries would have a higher risk for blindness, and I usually follow health statistics of all kinds. If there is a higher risk ... it must be very small. Kind of like how mushroom increases the risk for cancer, but only if you eat lots and lots of it.

However, pale skin is at higher risk for skin cancer, that's a no-brainer. But just as long as you move around normally, and don't fry yourself at the beach, you don't have to worry much. I never liked that beach-frying process. Sure, a little tan is nice, but looking like a brownie? The skin gets all leathery after just a few years of that. It is not worth it.
            Last edited by Erik W; 05-15-2013, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Here's my secret for sunglasses (and cheaters): The 99c only store. I buy a bunch of them so I have glasses everywhere. I do not need to worry about finding my glasses, misplacing them, breaking them etc because I have multiple pairs everywhere and they are so cheap (99c) that who cares if I break them. They're all pretty good glasses, too. Polarized and every bit as good as anything at the drugstore.
              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Blue eyes here (light-skinned blonde - German and Irish descent), and I work outdoors in the sun all day. I'm pretty far south and we have an average of 292 sunny or partly sunny days. I wear sunglasses all day long because otherwise I squint.

I have heard the whole thing about sun exposure causing cataracts, but I also understand that it can be a blood sugar problem.

NY Times - Cataract Risk Factors - 9/10/2012
                Durp.

Comment

I very very rarely wear sunglasses...I few years ago I stopped and now only wear them when there is no other way to block the direct rays. I wear a hat out when its sunny often... I do keep a pair in the car that get used 2 or 3 times a year only in heavy traffic and glaring sun...its a safety issue from the glare. I consider sun glasses mostly a useless gadget except at rare times and even suspect there may be negative health implications from wearing them constantly.

Comment

The Modern Assault on Eyesight | Mark's Daily Apple

Comment

Thanks, folks. I faithfully tried to wear sunglasses all day yesterday and got them so dirty with yard work, I could barely see through. Ordered transition lenses as my new prescription glasses...

Argh, I guess, no dairy for me except maybe in a recipe sometimes.

Comment

Working...
                      X