Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things I wish my doctor had told me but didn't...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Things I wish my doctor had told me but didn't...

    ...that the annoying little sebaceous cysts could have been cured with regular application of iodine. As opposed to telling me not to worry about them until one of the suckers got infected and now I'm dealing with it myself. With iodine. Bloody doctor.
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."-Winston Churchill

    "Keep Calm and Carry On"-British Wartime Poster

    "Don't Panic"
    -H2G2

  • #2
    And now I'm going to stand quietly in the corner and pretend I didn't say anything embarrassing.

    Anyone else have gripes with their doctor/s?
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."-Winston Churchill

    "Keep Calm and Carry On"-British Wartime Poster

    "Don't Panic"
    -H2G2

    Comment


    • #3
      I have a lot of doctor gripes but your post about the sebaceous cyst caught my attention. I have one on my index finger that is really annoying, while I was in seeing the doctor for some other reason I showed it to her and her suggestion was to refer me to another doctor to have it cut open, it sounded expensive so I didn't pursue it. So what I want to know is how often did you apply the iodine and was it just topically or did you open the cyst first and then apply the iodine?
      Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

      Comment


      • #4
        Youtube has loads of cyst-draining videos. It's a popular genre.

        Comment


        • #5
          So yeah....I tried iodine, hydrogen peroxide, drawing salve, and, lastly, castor oil and turmeric paste. I don't know if that was what ultimately did it, but the infected sucker is now draining. *shudder*

          Still went to the physician. The doc said it looked good for something that's infected and oozing. She said it probably would have resolved itself in the next few days, but she still gave me antibiotics, both oral and topical. So I'm looking forward to a really messed up digestive system for the next 10 days.

          I'm being proactive about the other 2-3 bumps I have and dosing them 2 times a day with iodine. Just painting it on. Will see what happens.
          "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."-Winston Churchill

          "Keep Calm and Carry On"-British Wartime Poster

          "Don't Panic"
          -H2G2

          Comment


          • #6
            I had one surgically removed from my neck. Woke up half-way through the surgery to find out that my face was covered in a blue cloth and being used as a platform for all of their tools. They couldn't see that my eyes had opened so I said "Uhh, I'm awake under here btw..." I heard some scrambling and then got about 10 shots of local anesthesia in my neck in rapid succession. The fire I was feeling died down and I waited patiently under my cloth for them to finish.

            The punchline? It's growing back.
            The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

            Comment


            • #7
              I'm so sorry! These little buggers are the worst!

              And waking up during surgery sounds absolutely terrifying. *shudder* Do you get nightmares about that?

              I read that either iodine or castor oil would be your best friend. Dunno. I'm just glad that the doc didn't have to use sharp objects. I have a strong fear of anyone approaching me with sharp objects. Especially after the dentist told me that the numbing syringe really does go several inches into your cheek and jaw. I thought it only felt like that!
              "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."-Winston Churchill

              "Keep Calm and Carry On"-British Wartime Poster

              "Don't Panic"
              -H2G2

              Comment


              • #8
                I wish I'd known about iodine back when I had a cyst that got infected. I went to a new doctor (a plastic surgeon), and that masochistic woman cut it out without anesthetic! It wasn't until afterwards when I talked to other people, including my derm, that I found out that's not the way it's done! And afterwards I had to pull out the gauze and repack it on a daily basis while the hole healed. Torture.
                Iodine is great stuff though. Since I've been taking it internally, I've had 2 stubborn warts clear up on their own. Apparently if your immune system is strong, it can take care of things like that, and iodine strengthens the immune system. One of them I'd had my derm burn off, and it came back. No sign of either of them now!

                Speaking of derms, and things you wish your doctor had told you - I wish that back when I had horrible cystic acne in my early 20s that my derm (any one of the many that I saw during that time) would have suggested cutting out dairy and gluten. But they all were emphatic that what you eat has nothing to do with your skin! So I suffered for years, and eventually went on 2 courses of Accutane. No more acne, but who knows what kind of lasting effects that drug has had on my health.

                Another lie I was told was by my general practitioner when he put me on medication for high blood pressure when I was 27. He said I'd probably have to be on it for life. A few years later, I was supplementing with coconut oil and started eating paleo and was able to stop taking my medication.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Happy Paleo Girl View Post
                  I wish I'd known about iodine back when I had a cyst that got infected. I went to a new doctor (a plastic surgeon), and that masochistic woman cut it out without anesthetic! It wasn't until afterwards when I talked to other people, including my derm, that I found out that's not the way it's done! And afterwards I had to pull out the gauze and repack it on a daily basis while the hole healed. Torture.
                  Iodine is great stuff though. Since I've been taking it internally, I've had 2 stubborn warts clear up on their own. Apparently if your immune system is strong, it can take care of things like that, and iodine strengthens the immune system. One of them I'd had my derm burn off, and it came back. No sign of either of them now!

                  Speaking of derms, and things you wish your doctor had told you - I wish that back when I had horrible cystic acne in my early 20s that my derm (any one of the many that I saw during that time) would have suggested cutting out dairy and gluten. But they all were emphatic that what you eat has nothing to do with your skin! So I suffered for years, and eventually went on 2 courses of Accutane. No more acne, but who knows what kind of lasting effects that drug has had on my health.

                  Another lie I was told was by my general practitioner when he put me on medication for high blood pressure when I was 27. He said I'd probably have to be on it for life. A few years later, I was supplementing with coconut oil and started eating paleo and was able to stop taking my medication.
                  What a great testament to the benefits of proper nutrition. Outstanding!
                  The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by KotikBegemotik View Post
                    And waking up during surgery sounds absolutely terrifying. *shudder* Do you get nightmares about that?
                    I don't remember my dreams (or nightmares) very often.
                    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I recently learned that bactine will heal a cold sore quickly. Might even prevent one from forming if applied soon enough. Now I have a $5 bottle of bactine both at home and at work. Although I really don't get them very often anymore since going primal, twice this winter I've had to scramble for the bactine and both times the blister didn't form.

                      How about skin tags? My husband has a number of them and although an internet search partly attributes them to obesity, he's quite slim. Any home remedies or supplements that you guys know?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I don't know if skin tags are the same as moles but I got rid of a mole by putting iodine on it daily. It shrunk and eventually disappeared. Iodine can be somewhat strong by itself so you may want to mix it with a carrier oil, if you do that remember to keep it an opaque container because iodine is light sensitive.

                        I started applying iodine to my finger cyst and it's hard to tell but it seems to be shrinking.
                        Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
                          I don't know if skin tags are the same as moles but I got rid of a mole by putting iodine on it daily. It shrunk and eventually disappeared. Iodine can be somewhat strong by itself so you may want to mix it with a carrier oil, if you do that remember to keep it an opaque container because iodine is light sensitive.

                          I started applying iodine to my finger cyst and it's hard to tell but it seems to be shrinking.
                          I didn't realize there were sebaceous glands on hands! Anyway, how'd the iodine treatment work? Is your cyst gone?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by aliphian View Post
                            I had one surgically removed from my neck. Woke up half-way through the surgery to find out that my face was covered in a blue cloth and being used as a platform for all of their tools. They couldn't see that my eyes had opened so I said "Uhh, I'm awake under here btw..." I heard some scrambling and then got about 10 shots of local anesthesia in my neck in rapid succession. The fire I was feeling died down and I waited patiently under my cloth for them to finish.

                            The punchline? It's growing back.
                            I have one like that. Good times.
                            Out of context quote for the day:

                            Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              More what I wish my mother's doctor had told her: Don't let your children become overweight - it will haunt them the rest of their lives.
                              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

                              B*tch-lite

                              Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X