Eczema

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eczema

One of the reasons I decided to go primal & particularly cut out grains was in hope that my eczema would disappear. I have been primal for about two months now & it's still pretty terrible. I developed it about 2 years ago (I'm 26) and had it under control then it resurfaced earlier this year & is now on my hands . It drives me crazy & is quite frankly embarrassing. I currently have Hylatopic cream, acetonamide (sp?) ointment & aquaphor regimen prescribed by my dermatologist. It's not helping that much. Any ideas?
    Aren't we all just works in progress?

Using primal as a tool to heal depression/anxiety & promote overall well-being:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84615.html

Have you tried cutting out diary as well?

Comment

Originally posted by paleodutch View Post
      Have you tried cutting out diary as well?
      Yes, I've cut out all dairy except pasture butter in small amounts occasionally.

Comment

Yes, dairy is very often the culprit. It was in my case. Eliminating wheat had no effect. Eliminating dairy cleared it up, along with several daily topical applications of acv.
        be the hair that knots with my hair
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        primal since oct. 1, 2012

Comment

I have some minor keratin pilaris on the backs of my arms that has yet to go away, but I've read anecdotal tales that it can with paleo.

Interestingly, I am working at a Epithelial And Keratinization weeklong conference.

Comment

Hello,

My name is Crystal Laughlin and I am a representative of SBT Seabuckthorn, a Canadian manufacturer of high quality, Health Canada approved nutritional supplements and all natural skin care products. Upon reviewing your post and noting that the regime your dermatologist recommended hasn’t been helping that much I would like to recommend to you our SBT Seabuckthorn Eczema & Dermatitis Soothing Salve with the expectation that it will not only relieve itching but heal your skin. This all natural Soothing Salve has shown great results in adults and children alike due to its anti-inflammatory, analgesic, and anti-microbial properties. If you would like any further information please visit our website at www.seabuckthorn.com/eczemasalve.htm and if you have any further questions please feel free to e-mail me crystal@seabuckthorn.com .

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Crystal Laughlin
            SBT Seabuckthorn

Comment

I have been wondering the same thing. I've had eczema on and off since middle school, always in the same areas (my shins and ankles). The ONLY thing that has ever worked is an adhesive tape with potent steroids. It's not a permanent fix but it does help significantly. The only OTC thing I have tried that helps as well is Aveeno for eczema. I realize that's just working on the symptoms and not the underlying cause, but before I tried Primal it never occurred to me that there even WAS an underlying cause. I have never tried cutting out dairy completely (no cream in my coffee?! I'm not hardcore enough for bulletproof yet). I don't know how to go about that -- how long does it take before you can conclude it did or didn't make a difference? Hoping some smart MDA people will have some good advice for you.

Comment

It seems that dairy is a possible culprit for me, wheat as well. All I can say is my eczema is better now on a mostly wheat and dairy free diet, than when I was eating dairy and wheat freely.
                http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Comment

I think you may need to do more of an elimination diet to try and find the culprit, an allergy test could help. Given you have already done dairy then I would suggest eggs. I also like a good AHA cream. I find it works better than the traditional eczema creams out there for me, with the occasional hydrocortisone for flare-ups.
                  Last edited by Silvergirl; 07-17-2013, 07:26 PM.
                  Started Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, and 5' 1", reached goal weight in 5 months.
                  Lowest weight 93lbs - too thin. Now stable at around 100lbs much better weight for me at my age.
                  Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Comment

I have suffered with eczema for 50 years but I am currently eczema free on Primal, however when I first started my eczema flared up and when I gave up dairy it didn't change. The relief for me was when I started eating grass fed butter in large quantities, I have a butter coffee every morning which has cured my skin and my eyes are clearer and less itchy. It is so interesting how different we all are. I hope you find your cure.

Comment

I'd recommend an auto immune protocol and then reintroduce food groups one by one to see which individual foods, if any, affect your skin. On top of the normal paleo/primal diet, i.e, no grains I took out eggs, nuts, dairy, nightshades and sweeteners. After 30 days, I reintroduced eggs, and the next day had psoriasis plaques on my forehead. I reintroduced sugar, and it got really bad -painful, and spread all over my face and my hands. Stupidly, I continued adding back the other foods every four days, so I can't tell if the other foods contribute to the skin issues at all.

Comment

All the creams and stuff are just like bandaids for a bigger problem. I'd like to figure out what is causing the eczema. It's an allergic reaction to something. My dermatologist is useless and it is just getting worse.

Comment

i wouldn't put any cream or anything on it except for some fresh aloe vera to soothe when it's itching or very dry and after cleaning your skin. make sure the eczema gets in touch with as less soap, detergent, shampoo... as possible, just plain water as much as possible and as less water as possible even. if you're taking a bath you can put ground oatmeal or epsom salts and some oil in.
                          definitely stick with no dairy but you could try cutting out eggs too, shellfish, fish and no soy nor peanuts either and best have yourself tested for food allergens. like you say, you don't have a skin problem. you have a problem that manifest itself through your skin. you could focus on helping the elimination pathways of your body, especially the liver, think stimulate and support. the kidneys too and the colon (you're not constipated?) so drink as much water as possible, you can add some fresh lemon juice. do you juice sometimes? celery and parsley juice is wonderful. a glass a day can do wonders. you can add leafy greens and ginger, some lemon juice. foods like beets, leafy greens, all bitter tasting veg like chicory and artichokes, banana, turnips, alfalfa are good for your liver. you can drink tea of burdock root, nettle, artichoke leaf and use as much turmeric, rosemary, and ginger in your food as you can. milk thistle seed tincture is good too. you can't get enough essential fatty acids down either, think lots! MSM powder is very helpful for eliminating and detoxifying too. (if you use this it might get worse initially as you stimulate the elimination process). red clover tea is a food blood purifier and very helpful with eczema. do you dry brush your skin? it's very useful, just avoid the dry patches.

Comment

I have read that skin issues are how our bodies get rid of the waste that our liver isn't able to handle. There are plenty of things like dandelion tea, milk thistle that can help to heal/help the liver. Might be worth looking into that approach. I don't have eczema anymore. I do however, have "age/liver spots" that I'm looking into getting rid of.
                            I like bullet proof coffee with coconut oil and GF butter (emulsified in the blender of course) in the morning too Walshy454. That's how I got rid of the sugar and/or non-dairy creamer that tasted oh so good (with a long paragraph of ingredients that I'm sure would have made the inside of me spurt white if I cut me open to have a look).

Comment

Originally posted by walshy454 View Post
                              I have suffered with eczema for 50 years but I am currently eczema free on Primal, however when I first started my eczema flared up and when I gave up dairy it didn't change. The relief for me was when I started eating grass fed butter in large quantities, I have a butter coffee every morning which has cured my skin and my eyes are clearer and less itchy. It is so interesting how different we all are. I hope you find your cure.
                              How did you come across that as an idea for a solution?

I also have struggled with eczema for 35+ years and the change in diet had helped but still quite bad. A lack of sleep (due to 2 youngsters) doesn't help... Would agree about the docs and their quick fix band aid treatments such as steroids creams. Diet change has to be the answer but its a long slow process.

Also think the low intensity exercise helps rather than a more intensive higher inflammatory level.

I also take quite a few anti-inflammatory supplements (turmeric and ginger tablets, krill oil, zinc) which mean while the eczema is not great it seems to heal quite quickly after each flare-up so diet definitely helps there.

Comment

Working...
                              X