No announcement yet.

Tips to get over a funk?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been dealing with a bit of a similar situation, and I have a bit of insight, hopefully it will help.

I made the decision about 3 months ago to move to a location that really clicks with the lifestyle that I want to live. Much better climate, better for my allergies etc. My wife, and I will be quitting our jobs, and selling our house to make this move. One thing we are going to do before we move is develop our basement since it is a walk out this will add a lot to the selling price of the house. We keep talking about all the positives about where we are moving to and focusing on it, but we are finding it very hard to get motivated to work on the basement. It is not that we don't like doing the work it is just hard to get started.

I think that for me I see all the change that will come when I reach my goal. I am looking forward to that change but I think that part of me doesn't want to reach that goal because I have been looking forward to it for so long that once I have made the move what if it isn't as good as I think it will be. Then all that work wouldn't have taken me to a place where I am happier.

I think that might apply to your weight loss goals, what if you reach your goal, and it doesn't make you happy. I think for weight loss the best way is to concentrate on eating good foods, and enjoying the food you eat. If you are eating a good primal diet, and not going completely overboard on serving size the weight loss will come. What I found for loosing the last 10 or so lbs for myself was I started playing hockey, and my goal actually changed from loosing weight to being in better shape so that I can keep up easier.

I hope that this helps, and good luck with getting some motivation back!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
      The first question I would ask is how are you sleeping? Quantity and quality.
      Sleep was going to be my first suggestion/question, the second that has helped me is really simple--go for long walks frequently. It's like meditation for me, where nagging thoughts may bubble up from the subconscious, and I can observe the issue that may be bugging me, but put it aside and keep walking.

Comment

For the chocolate cravings, google "faster EFT" and start practicing. It will take some time but it's pretty effective. I got over my marijuana addiction using that technique. Every time the craving starts, start tappin'

For the mood, google and practice mindfullness meditation. Just a few minutes a day made a big difference for me.

Keep both of them up and you'll be good. Give up on either one and no change will take place. It took me forever to get my shit together and it's still not all the way THERE. If I slip on the above (and other things, working out, etc) I slide back into old habits. They die hard, especially if you're not working on improvement.

Lasty, and this may not work with you, but I found that I had to get kind of mad. Meaning, I had to be "pissed off for greatness" as Ray Lewis put it. Being better, improving yourself is definitely about loving yourself but it's also about kicking your own ass a little bit. Don't allow the softness, don't coddle yourself. Reward yourself, of course, take it easy from time to time, sure... but have limits.

Set higher standards for yourself, and remember it will always be a work in progress because you're always going to be asking more out of yourself in a constructive fashion.
        Last edited by iniQuity; 05-09-2013, 08:08 AM.
        I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

The thing that really worked for me was to shift the focus away from losing weight, onto being as fit and healthy as I possibly can.

If I start thinking about how I want to lose weight (more actually, fat), I start obsessing about what I should/shouldn't be eating, what is/isn't working and why etc....and I lose absolutely nothing.

So...I concentrate on getting strong...the scales aren't really moving but I don't care because I can see and feel my body becoming more lean which is ultimately what I want anyway. And isn't getting strong way more fun than losing weight!

So why not think of it more in terms of getting better at tennis, and as you play more and become more able you'll get to a position where you want your lifestyle to help you play even better.

Comment

I always try and find one thing in my life that is working and focus on that. I got a lot of crap going on right now and am none too happy. For me, food was always a comfort and eating primal... it is now notsomuch.
            So, right now, bad relationship with my SO, work is boring, not so into horsebackriding now. But damn, Crossfit gets me out of bed and makes me feel great. So I'm a little obsessive about that and am linking my diet back to being able to do good at Crossfit. And ummm.... as Mr. Perfidy says.... well, in case I need to find a mate, looking good naked is becoming a higher priority.
            Am I sick of primal eating and do I want a pizza right now? Yes. But I know eating a pizza will make me sluggish for Crossfit. Right now, Crossfit is more important than eating comfort food.

So I dunno- take tennis. You want to be a strong tennis player? You gotta eat right.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
            Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Working...
            X