No announcement yet.

Asian grocery, what to look for?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was in one yesterday and got unrefined palm fat, first time I have seen it for sale. I quite liked it but my partner was not so sure (used it for oven-roast white potatos for a traditional "sunday lunch)

Also got a bottle of "100% coconut nectar" that was undrinkably sweet - I can't believe it was not sugared.

Comment

Just shared my home grown water chestnuts with my team at work. If you ever see fresh water chestnuts in the market, do get some to try as they are completely different to the canned ones. More like a cross between apple and coconut.

Good to see you didn't come home with 'flavoured gluten strands' in a jar like my local store sells.

PS: take a little care when using the fresh turmeric. It stains.

Comment

Originally posted by Bifcus View Post

Good to see you didn't come home with 'flavoured gluten strands' in a jar like my local store sells.
        EWWWWWWWWWWWW..... even before primal I wouldent have touched such an abomination.

will have to keep an eye out for the water chestnuts, sounds yum.
        Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

I once saw a dumpling product in the freezer of a better Asian store. It was labeled "wheat paste starch lump". Unfortunate choice of name.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
            I once saw a dumpling product in the freezer of a better Asian store. It was labeled "wheat paste starch lump". Unfortunate choice of name.
            Yeah. Sometimes something gets lost in the translation.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
              Yeah. Sometimes something gets lost in the translation.

I dunno, sounds like it translated pretty much perfectly.....
              Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

Comment

For whatever reason, I have four "Asian" markets within maybe 6 miles of my house.

The main one (first one around) is in all honesty mostly junk. There's a whole isle dedicated to instant ramen. I'd say 20% of the stock is snack food of varying description (from mochi ice cream to lychee gummies). There's a tiny produce section (with no names) that is entirely frozen. All their meat is frozen, and about half is processed food. About 1/3 of the stuff has no English labels, which doesn't help - not that I demand everything be labled in English. I need to learn Korean, Traditional Chinese, Japanese, Thai and Simplified Chinese.

The others are similar, though I haven't been to the one in Callaway in some time. It was small, from what I remember, smaller than the one near Gate 2 NAS Pax River. One of the places is Thai, right at the end of my road, but it's mostly sauces and whatnot that they sell. I think their main pull is their takeout.

I noticed that every single one of the oils and sauces had soy oil in it, though.

M.

Comment

Didn't read through the 3 pages, but did anyone say, "girls" yet?
                  "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Comment

In addition to the many very primal items that they have there, I find it amusing to see some of the insanely anti-primal things they sell. This includes big bottles of MSG and wheat gluten fried in hydrogenated soybean oil with sugar on it.

A real suggestion though, big bags of dried seaweed. It expands A LOT in water and is great for adding to soups.

Comment

One thing I tried to find was proper soy sauce(no wheat) they had about a doz difrent brands and not one was gluten/wheat free

Comment

I am under the impression that real soy sauce requires wheat in it.

Also yeah, Markbt, my local ones all have great sacks of MSG. Thought it was powdered sugar at first until I got up to it.

M.

Comment

Do they have bitter melon? I had it when I traveled to China in 2006. I had no idea what it was and found out later. I didn't quite care for it at first, but it grew on me. We have no Asian markets nearby, so I haven't been able to find it in my area.

Comment

Originally posted by MEversbergII View Post
                            I am under the impression that real soy sauce requires wheat in it.

Also yeah, Markbt, my local ones all have great sacks of MSG. Thought it was powdered sugar at first until I got up to it.

M.
                            No, it was originally made without. Usually referred to as Tamari Soy Sauce
                            Adding wheat makes it cheaper & easier to mass produce I guess

Yeah, I saw bitter melon there, in the fresh veg area.. dident get any as I wasent sure what to do with it

Comment

Originally posted by DinoHunter View Post
                              No, it was originally made without. Usually referred to as Tamari Soy Sauce
                              Adding wheat makes it cheaper & easier to mass produce I guess

Yeah, I saw bitter melon there, in the fresh veg area.. dident get any as I wasent sure what to do with it
                              You pretty much cut it in half, clean out the seeds and slice it across and stir fry with beef or other meats - you can do other things with it. It is very bitter as the name states. It is considered a medicinal plant as it helps to regulate blood sugar, among other things.

TotalHealth Magazine - Going WILD with Bitter Melon for Blood Sugar Support

Comment

In Korean market, you might be interested in:
                                - Kelp noodle (천사채)
                                - Sweet potato or potato starch noodle (당면)
                                - Acorn Jelly (도토리묵)
                                - Jelly fish
                                - Dried squid

Please check the ingredients first before buy. Some contain MSG, sugar or saccharine in it.

Those are in cans and mostly contains MSG, so please check the ingredients first.
                                - boiled silkworm pupae (번데기) : Beondegi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                                - boiled sea snail (골뱅이) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossaulax_didyma
                                - other type of boiled sea snail (소라) : Turbo cornutus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Working...
                                X