Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daredevils and adrenaline junkies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Daredevils and adrenaline junkies

    Are they suicidal? The only ones I know, personally, come from messed up family situations. And they are all boys/men. But none of the men in my extended family are daredevils. I hate the way adrenaline makes me feel, I'm an endorphin girl all the way. I suspect my life experience is limiting me.

    I started thinking about this because the older brother of one of DS's closest friends killed himself on his motorcycle last weekend. I say killed himself, because police estimate he was going 160mi/hr when he lost control and body slammed a pole. Of course his helmet didn't save him at the speed. He was 32, so not some moronic teenager, intoxicated by the hormones of puberty. Is the rush of going that fast worth it if you don't secretly wish you were dead?

    Maybe a primal forum isn't the best place to ask. I suspect men who fuss over their diets aren't generally daredevils either. I guess I'm just feeling really sad for his mother.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

  • #2
    Scientists who have studied lifespan differences between men and women have found that the difference is male risk-taking behavior. I personally think it is a learned behavior. It runs in families that encourage their boys to "be boys". They grow up into men who drink a case of beer and jump off the roof for fun.

    Comment


    • #3
      It has nothing to do with family, my mother didn't raise me to be a man of any sort, she didn't really raise me at all. I like to take risks because of boredom, I want to feel something, anything. I'm numb to the daily grind, and the only thing I can think about is circumstances and what would happen if I did something completely insane right now, where would it take me, how would it alter my life?

      Nothing real exciting has happen so far. I'm not stimulated by stupid shit like jumping off roofs, jumping out of a plane is another story though.

      I'm real sorry about the loss. He's at peace now though.
      Make America Great Again

      Comment


      • #4
        I think excessive risk taking is probably some kind of psychological condition. Maybe momma didn't love them enough or something. I'll bring in the somewhat tired point: would Grok think taking unnecessary risks is fun? I think he'd certainly take risks and love the feel of adrenaline, but I doubt he would've done the equivalent of 160 on a motorcycle.

        Comment


        • #5
          to bring out cliched words; a rush and exhilaration

          i saw a video of people swinging out, back and forth, over what looked like the grand canyon. if i'd been there i probably would have tried to have a turn too

          there's nothing wrong with a person for being a dare devil, they're having a good time
          beautiful
          yeah you are

          Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
          lol

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm a female "adrenaline junkie" I suppose.

            Out of the box? Maybe.
            I own a sports bike, and have frequently ridden it at 100+ mph(like every time it leaves the garage).
            Good roller coasters maker me superhappy. I don't ever scream on roller coasters, I laugh... like the best belly laughs, and feel sort of soothed all over when I get off the ride.
            I've done the Skycoaster in Orlando a bunch, a 300ft freefall/swing. I LOVE IT! SkyCoaster Kissimmee | Fun Spot Attractions
            I sincerely want to skydive, and plan to do a tandem jump this year.
            I frequently bridge/cliff jumped as a kid, starting at about 10/11yrs old on bridges 20ft up and going from there to the 30ft range which is all we had access too.
            I also rode dirt bikes, and horses which I jumped.


            I don't think that that behavior was encouraged in me, it just was not discouraged. I was a "tomboy" in many ways and that was never frowned upon.

            I do not have even the vaguest "death wish".
            I think that equating those things is just silly IMO.
            When I do those things I feel ALIVE and wonderful.
            And that's my experience of what other adrenaline junkies say they feel too, MORE ALIVE.
            If you don't like that feeling don't do it. *shrug*

            There is a good deal of research that indicates that people who like or are prone to high risk behaviors have a mutation or change on a specific gene(DRD4) that is linked to this.
            So, really a parent can encourage that shy reserved non-risk kid all they want... and that kid isn't going to grow up to race motorcycles.
            And a parent can admonish a rick taking/climbing/full throttle kind of kid all day to slow down and be careful... and that kid will probably keep right at seeking a thrill by jumping off the top bunk onto the beanbag.

            Some people think its better to take some risk and feel wonderful while doing it than to sit on their thumbs and watch the world go by in slow motion.
            This guys might agree.

            The truth is I wish I had the knowledge, skill, and NUTZ to do what the guy in that video is doing, because WOW. A successful fly like that would have be amazing.

            Also. Please try to remember this...
            Just getting in your car and driving to work every day is pretty dangerous statistically.
            Way more dangerous that motorcycle riding.
            Really. It has nothing to do with weather or not YOU are in control.
            A cement truck could hit your conservative driving self tomorrow.
            Last edited by cori93437; 05-01-2013, 11:25 PM.
            “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
            ~Friedrich Nietzsche
            And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by wiltondeportes View Post
              I think excessive risk taking is probably some kind of psychological condition. Maybe momma didn't love them enough or something. I'll bring in the somewhat tired point: would Grok think taking unnecessary risks is fun? I think he'd certainly take risks and love the feel of adrenaline, but I doubt he would've done the equivalent of 160 on a motorcycle.
              Tying bands of vegetation/vine ropes to your feet and jump a huge towers head down (a la bungee style), with the goal of your shoulders making contact with the ground but not enough to be injured, with the end result being possible death isn't risky enough for you? Weeeeeee!
              Land diving - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
              You jump off a 80 foot tower and get back to me on that.
              “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
              ~Friedrich Nietzsche
              And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

              Comment


              • #8
                all that AND they're free ballin

                if that isn't grokkish i don't know what is
                beautiful
                yeah you are

                Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                lol

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
                  all that AND they're free ballin

                  if that isn't grokkish i don't know what is
                  AND Anointed in coconut oil baby!

                  Totes grokkish.

                  I'll ride my bike at 100+ all day long, but I'm seriously not jumping off a bamboo tower with vines tied to my ankles to whack my shoulder on the ground while hoping not to die... naked an greased in coconut.
                  I'm not that big an adrenaline junkie! I'm not CRAZY!
                  “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                  ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                  And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by wiltondeportes View Post
                    I think excessive risk taking is probably some kind of psychological condition. Maybe momma didn't love them enough or something. I'll bring in the somewhat tired point: would Grok think taking unnecessary risks is fun? I think he'd certainly take risks and love the feel of adrenaline, but I doubt he would've done the equivalent of 160 on a motorcycle.
                    She most certainly does love me, and I don't care what some arbitrary ideals of a perceived imaginary caveman thinks. Grok is us, and we are grok. In that case, there is grok in all of us, so yes, he would do something like that. Grok isn't some higher being, grok is human, with all our faults and imperfections. Which is why living up to a "caveman diet" is silly, because grok never had the choice, and if he did, he'd make all the same mistakes and keep making them as we do.
                    Make America Great Again

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                      I'm a female "adrenaline junkie" I suppose.

                      Out of the box? Maybe.
                      I own a sports bike, and have frequently ridden it at 100+ mph(like every time it leaves the garage).
                      Good roller coasters maker me superhappy. I don't ever scream on roller coasters, I laugh... like the best belly laughs, and feel sort of soothed all over when I get off the ride.
                      I've done the Skycoaster in Orlando a bunch, a 300ft freefall/swing. I LOVE IT! SkyCoaster Kissimmee | Fun Spot Attractions
                      I sincerely want to skydive, and plan to do a tandem jump this year.
                      I frequently bridge/cliff jumped as a kid, starting at about 10/11yrs old on bridges 20ft up and going from there to the 30ft range which is all we had access too.
                      I also rode dirt bikes, and horses which I jumped.


                      I don't think that that behavior was encouraged in me, it just was not discouraged. I was a "tomboy" in many ways and that was never frowned upon.

                      I do not have even the vaguest "death wish".
                      I think that equating those things is just silly IMO.
                      When I do those things I feel ALIVE and wonderful.
                      And that's my experience of what other adrenaline junkies say they feel too, MORE ALIVE.
                      If you don't like that feeling don't do it. *shrug*

                      There is a good deal of research that indicates that people who like or are prone to high risk behaviors have a mutation or change on a specific gene(DRD4) that is linked to this.
                      So, really a parent can encourage that shy reserved non-risk kid all they want... and that kid isn't going to grow up to race motorcycles.
                      And a parent can admonish a rick taking/climbing/full throttle kind of kid all day to slow down and be careful... and that kid will probably keep right at seeking a thrill by jumping off the top bunk onto the beanbag.

                      Some people think its better to take some risk and feel wonderful while doing it than to sit on their thumbs and watch the world go by in slow motion.
                      This guys might agree.

                      The truth is I wish I had the knowledge, skill, and NUTZ to do what the guy in that video is doing, because WOW. A successful fly like that would have be amazing.

                      Also. Please try to remember this...
                      Just getting in your car and driving to work every day is pretty dangerous statistically.
                      Way more dangerous that motorcycle riding.
                      Really. It has nothing to do with weather or not YOU are in control.
                      A cement truck could hit your conservative driving self tomorrow.
                      Awesome flight and i can see why he was so hyped after a near miss, but I wonder if I was so stoked after his friend was killed hitting a bridge at 120 mph, or after he hit Table Mountain at similar speeds and was seriously injured.
                      If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

                      Originally posted by tfarny
                      If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Two children have died in my ex-husband's family doing things that I would not have permitted a child of mine to do.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Once children are grown it's not a matter of permission.
                          All adults make their own decisions, and accept the risks, for their own choices... even the ones stopping at McDonald's every single day after work for a BigMac, super sized fry, and liter of coke.

                          I've known people who have died/seriously injured during high risk behavior.
                          I've also known people who've died/been permanently crippled living quiet lives... shit happens.
                          I guarantee I know more people who will go to their deaths in some random way, after years saying "I'd never do "x" that's too dangerous!", but I know for a fact that they do stupid shit like drive home from the bar on Friday night after half a dozen drinks.


                          Also, I'm completely aware that Jeb Corliss has been injured(more than once), and he continues to enjoy jumping/gliding!
                          Maybe you should watch some of his interviews on the subject.
                          http://teamcoco.com/video/jeb-corliss-accident
                          And guys have been killed doing what he does. That is the risk that they accept.
                          The other guys they jump with know that. And don't hold their choices against them if they die doing what they love.
                          Just like race car drivers don't hate on other race car drivers if there is a death. Or drag bike riders... Or whatever.
                          It's really not all that different than the risk that we all accept every time we drive.
                          There were 32,367 traffic fatalities in 2011... many of those were caused by other people crashing into safe conservative drivers.
                          Except that most people envelop themselves in some sort of bubble of illusion that they are "safe" because they are driving safely, and they are the ones in control. No. Not really. That would only be true if you were the only person on the road.
                          “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                          ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                          And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                            There is a good deal of research that indicates that people who like or are prone to high risk behaviors have a mutation or change on a specific gene(DRD4) that is linked to this.
                            That's pretty interesting. Genetic/biochemical effects on behavior/thinking are pretty interesting in general.

                            I want to be clear that I'm not talking about all risk taking behavior. I have a colleague who has climbed most of the major peaks in the world and a neighbor whose son is a Navy Seal. Both men obviously enjoy the feeling adrenaline gives them. No way could they do what they do if they didn't. But they also clearly get a lot of pleasure from the mental discipline that's required to be any good at what they do. I know my colleague is very interested in not dying, because he puts a lot of thought into avoiding it.

                            Also, the family of the man who died on his motorcycle was abandoned by the father when he was 11 and his little brothers were 2 and 4. It wouldn't surprise me if the mother is feeling like doing the best she could with 3 energetic little boys wasn't good enough. Any time a child struggles, a good parent will wonder if they should have done something differently. But no way did she not love them enough.

                            I'm off to read about DRD4.
                            50yo, 5'3"
                            SW-195
                            CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
                            GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Duplicate
                              Last edited by LauraSB; 05-02-2013, 02:11 PM.
                              50yo, 5'3"
                              SW-195
                              CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
                              GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X