Return to CW: A Horror Story

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fresa View Post
    Also, out of curiosity, what do you do when you go out at night with people here? Do you just drink wine every time? I can't imagine going out with Spaniards and not drinking anything, but I don't know if I could do just wine 4 nights a week. And while I love my tinto de verano, it is definitely not primal
    Well, that is tricky to say the least.

I really don't like clubs, so I rarely have to be in that situation, when I do go I usually drink gin tonics, it's got some sugar from the tonic, but it's not that bad (specially compared to other mixers like coke or redbull). If you like whisky you could have that on the rocks, it would be perfect, the only problem for me is that I'm probably the only venezuelan in the world that doesn't like whisky, lol.

Now, most of my social activity is in bars or going out for dinner, I rely heavily on wine, which I love and I think it's good for you even though it's not really paleo. I do have a few beers every now and then, I love beer, but I don't have even half as many as I did before going paleo. My attitude towards social drinking is that Ill have enough to enjoy myself and have a good time and I count on being almost 100% paleo for the rest of the time to lessen the damage.

I only go out once or twice a week at most, going out 4 times a week and drinking accordingly would be completely different, I don't see myself staying healthy and continuing my weightloss in those conditions, best case scenario, it would stop my progress but I wouldn't gain anything back.

However, sometimes you just have to forget about it and have a good time, a few weeks ago we threw a party for a friend that was going back to her home in Mexico, it was a special occasion, so I just drank whatever I wanted and had an awesome time (and an awesome hangover the next day too, hahaha).
    Last edited by jaczor; 04-26-2013, 05:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Damiana View Post
      Plenty of people do live this way and aren't dying of it. You've probably developed a gluten sensitivity due to your time cutting out wheat. I'd get that checked out.
      Yes, a gluten sensitivity wouldn't surprise me. I wasn't trying to say that I am shocked that they are all alive, simply that I felt better on Primal and had forgotten how badly my body felt before. Going back to eating wheat and sugars just has reminded me of those small, chronic issues. All the aches and pains and skin annoyances that I dealt with, and just thought were a part of life, have come back. While not life threatening, each is a small source of misery that can add up, and that many people just accept. I do hope that people all over the world eventually learn about the primal/paleo lifestyle if only because feeling this way is so unpleasant. That was my only point

Originally posted by jaczor View Post
      Now, most of my social activity is in bars or going out for dinner, I rely heavily on wine, which I love and I think it's good for you even though it's not really paleo. I do have a few beers every now and then, I love beer, but I don't have even half as many as I did before going paleo. My attitude towards social drinking is that Ill have enough to enjoy myself and have a good time and I count on being almost 100% paleo for the rest of the time to lessen the damage.
      That is sort of what I figured my attitude will have to be when I come back and live on my own. Social drinking will have to be the thing that I let slide. Which honestly is OK with me, as I personally don't want this style of eating to inhibit my life in other ways. I'd like it to be wholly positive. But it is nice hearing what other primal/paleo people do, as I feel like social drinking is not nearly as much of a staple of life in the US as it is here.

Comment

I understand you aren't supposed to ask for separate meals. I suppose I would just take the coffee and skip the rest. Then purchase a snack later to get through to lunch. It might be easier to go to lunch on only coffee than to eat the bread. To bad about the pasta dinners though. Sounds like lunch is relatively good.
        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Don't underestimate the sugar/gluten/calorie content of alcoholic drinks!!!

Comment

Claiming that your families diet is Mediterranean and is the reason for siestas seems disingenuous to me. Sorry to hear you had such a bad time though.
            http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Comment

Originally posted by fresa View Post
              Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. My mother has celiac's, and has for a long time (back before grocery stores had "gluten-free" sections, haha). I have always assumed I would eventually contract full-on celiac's at some point, so this could definitely be the trigger.
              Now that I know you have a family history of celiac, I would presume it is highly likely that you have it right now. The fact that you have been consuming gluten for months means this is an ideal time to be tested for it. Do you have insurance that would cover testing now? If it turns out you do have it, the school ought to be willing to make some sort of accommodations for you, since it is highly unhealthy for a person with celiac to continue to eat gluten.

Comment

Why don't you tell them you are allergic to wheat/gluten?

Maybe you aren't, but for all intensive purposes you may as well could be. If food is making you feel this shitty, listen to your body, you shouldn't be eating it. I find it odd that the program you are in has a rule that you cannot make requests of food in your host home. What about the people who are legitimately allergic to stuff? Like the people who go into respiratory trauma from eating pistachios?

I am sure the Spanish family can understand your food allergies, if not that, smell the evidence of stomach discomfort from the bathroom.
                Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
                Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
                Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
                F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Comment

Originally posted by kathleen View Post
                  I find it odd that the program you are in has a rule that you cannot make requests of food in your host home. What about the people who are legitimately allergic to stuff? Like the people who go into respiratory trauma from eating pistachios?
                  You are allowed to have allergies, but it has to be something that you mention when you sign up for housing. I didn't choose to say anything, in large part because I didn't realize how much bread there would actually be and I hadn't had any stomach reaction to gluten before Primal. The things you learn later on, I guess.

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                  The fact that you have been consuming gluten for months means this is an ideal time to be tested for it. Do you have insurance that would cover testing now?
                  I am not sure if our insurance here covers it, it is not the same as what I have at home. I can definitely ask the program managers if it would be covered though, they would know I'm sure. That is a good idea, I hadn't thought about getting it done since I have been eating gluten anyway. If I can't here, I will when I get home. It might be nice to have it documented in the future, if it really is the case.

Originally posted by AMonkey View Post
                  Claiming that your families diet is Mediterranean and is the reason for siestas seems disingenuous to me. Sorry to hear you had such a bad time though.
                  I only meant that eating such a large amount of food, some of which is heavy in carbs, can quite exhausting, and doing so during the middle of the day makes it really easy to want to sleep for an hour or two. I know that they also take siestas because of the heat and because they stay awake later in the evening when it is cooler, so there are several different contributing factors. It wouldn't surprise me if food is one, was more my point. I don't really see how their diet isn't Mediterranean though. They live an hour from the ocean, and every Spaniard I have talked to here absolutely believes that their diet is the real Mediterranean diet. Either way, I didn't mean to sound er..disingenuous about it. My apologies.

Comment

Working...
                  X