New to primal, but love love love craft ales

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Figlio di Moros View Post
    I don't know the stats, but I know fermentation breaks down gliadin (sic) and the other one that make up gluten, which is how cows and other grazers digest it. Beer and bourbon have less gluten, though I know they suggest Celiacs not to have either even though fermented and distilled wheat would have none, I imagine for psychosomatic reasons.
    Actually, the reason is that even fermentation doesn't completely break down the glutens in grains. Gluten (and other proteins) can be partially broken and still retain some of their original characteristics.

If you think of a gluten molecule as a charm bracelet with 100 links in the chain and a charm every 10 links or so, fermentation will break many of the links, but still leave bits of say 2-20 links with their charms still attached. Some of those charms will be the evil, autoimmune inducing charms and they will still have at least some effect in people who are susceptible. That's why celiac's should never rely on any process for removing or degrading gluten. (And actually, the gluten molecule looks more like a wadded up pipe cleaner, but I couldn't come up with a clear analogy based on a pipe cleaner.)

BTW, I drink craft and home brew beers now and then. I love beer and I have no deliberate intention of giving it up, but I am finding that over time, I'm getting less attached to it. Maybe I'll feel like giving it up altogether one day.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
      That is not a safe presumption to make. Anyone with celiac or who is gluten intolerant will react to beer. Alcohol is the only gluten-containing food that gives me classic intestinal symptoms.

Um... brain fog... A common symptom of gluten intolerance.
      Yeah but alcohol is also the only alcohol-containing food. I don't know exactly what the intestinal symptoms you're referring to are, but I know a lot of people will say that beer in particular makes them feel bloated and full (while gluten-containing foods do not) or report 'expedited bowel movement' the morning after.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
        That is not a safe presumption to make. Anyone with celiac or who is gluten intolerant will react to beer. Alcohol is the only gluten-containing food that gives me classic intestinal symptoms.

Um... brain fog... A common symptom of gluten intolerance.
        Um...the brain fog could also just be low carb flu, since he reported feeling better after eating some carbs. I still drink beer and bourbon.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynna View Post
          Um...the brain fog could also just be low carb flu, since he reported feeling better after eating some carbs. I still drink beer and bourbon.
          It is true that could be. But making a decision to not even test giving up gluten goes against the idea that one should find out whether one is sensitive to it before deciding it is safe to consume. If one is sensitive, it is not safe to consume. And there are some substitutes.

Comment

Ok, so Iv'e had a beer today, I also had one a few days ago, I did notice bloating, maybe Iv'e always had this and it's more noticeable now because I'm not consuming any other gluten in any other forms, but definite bloating after the beer, quote uncomfortable really. I'm not sure if I'm just being paranoid though like I said iv'e probably always had bloating to some degree but never really noticed it before now. It's early days so i'll continue experimenting a little to make sure.

Comment

Working...
            X