Increasingly short TOM cycle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Increasingly short TOM cycle

Just wondering if anyone has noticed any changes in menstruation since going Primal?

My period arrived today - one and a half weeks early. For the last three / four months my cycle has been three weeks. Seems like it's getting shorter.

I have a bit of a history with irregular periods:

- When I turned twenty I started getting my period every two weeks. I went for scans had found I had cysts on my ovaries, so I went on the pill. I came off it (about 7 years ago) and haven't been regular since.

- When I was veggie I went through stretches (3-4 months) where I didn't get TOM at all, and people always attributed it to my low weight, but as soon as I started eating meat in July it came back to a monthly cycle.

But now I seem to be reverting back to where I was when I was 20...

Has anyone else noticed things changing around as they've shifted their diet? Thanks!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Less estrogen and more progesterone it sounds like especially if the cycle is less painful
    Make America Great Again

Comment

Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
      Less estrogen and more progesterone it sounds like especially if the cycle is less painful
      Interesting... so it might be a good thing? Seems like a very short cycle... But yeah, no pain, and significantly reduced cravings...
      "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

Yeah probably I've heard of women who use progesterone for that reason(after years of taking various doctor prescribed estrogen)
        Make America Great Again

Comment

Strange... will look into that more!

- Ray Peat

Comment

are you fertility charting? 3-6 months of charts will give you a lot more information in terms of what's really going on.

katie singer's garden of fertility is a great book to get you started.

Comment

Yep. I lost my period for 4 months in the fall by eating zero carb. It came back but in increasingly shorter cycles and is now hovering around 24/25 days, sometimes 21. I recently had my hormones checked and I have low estrogen so that would point to Derpamix being right on.

Side note: My cycle was like clockwork from ages 13-19 until I went on the pill for 3 months and it has never been regular since. Oops. Anywhere from 30-45 days, but never as short as it is now...
              Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

Comment

Mine has gotten slightly longer since starting Primal, hovering around a 30 day average though. I was clockwork 28 days before hvaing kids, now fairly erratic and I panic that I'm pregnant again about once a year. Are you tracking your cycle lengths to see if there's any consistency?

Comment

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
                  are you fertility charting? 3-6 months of charts will give you a lot more information in terms of what's really going on.

katie singer's garden of fertility is a great book to get you started.
                  Originally posted by teach2183 View Post
                  Mine has gotten slightly longer since starting Primal, hovering around a 30 day average though. I was clockwork 28 days before hvaing kids, now fairly erratic and I panic that I'm pregnant again about once a year. Are you tracking your cycle lengths to see if there's any consistency?
                  I always keep note of when TOM comes so that I'll be prepared for the following month. A completely redundant process, since I'm never regular!

I havent missed a period since July, but since October the cycle is getting progressively shorter...

- Ray Peat

Comment

keeping track of when you menstruate isn't charting. Charting goes a lot farther -- body temperature, cervical placement, cervical mucus, and there are other things as well, which can give an overall picture of what the situation may be.

seriously, it's worth trying for a bit -- and you'll see how a lot of things fit in hand-in-hand in terms of women's health and fertility charting. it's really great.

Comment

All I know, is mine is pain free vs cramps from the bowels of hell previously. Mine has been getting longer. 35 days this time.
                      The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

Comment

keeping track of when you menstruate isn't charting. Charting goes a lot farther -- body temperature, cervical placement, cervical mucus, and there are other things as well, which can give an overall picture of what the situation may be.

seriously, it's worth trying for a bit -- and you'll see how a lot of things fit in hand-in-hand in terms of women's health and fertility charting. it's really great.
                        It sounds interesting... I'll look into it once a few other things in my life has stabilised a bit

You don't think I should be worried that I'm getting my period so frequently? It just seems wrong that I've gone from one extreme to the other.

- Ray Peat

Comment

I don't know. I don't know what's going on and whether or not you should be worried.

For me, it's something to pay attention to, but I don't really know what is happening. The charting can help you better discern what is happening.

Comment

I don't know. I don't know what's going on and whether or not you should be worried.

For me, it's something to pay attention to, but I don't really know what is happening. The charting can help you better discern what is happening.
                            Okay. Thnks

- Ray Peat

Comment

Mine did all the opposite: longer between periods, just as heavy, sometimes lasts just as long as before, sometimes a few days less. It went up proportionate to increased hair-growth, muscle, balanced mood and better blood iron profiles, so I assume it's to do with hormonal balances. Higher testosterone = slightly longer cycles. No more menstrual pains, either.

If yours are frequent, of irregular quantity and painful you may want to look out for other symptoms of low testosterone. Plenty of studies have shown that increases in testosterone levels benefit most women, suggesting that most women are actually not producing enough of the stuff.

As for how to increase it: can't help there. I know that if I avoid all veg oils (bar olive and coconut), limit "raw" sugars and eat high fat my body shows signs of high testosterone and that, when I eat out more often and wind up having "hidden" veg oil, sugars and soy the period cramps come back and I start feeling tired and grumpy. But that's pretty basic and most people are already doing that, so it beats me if you aren't seeing higher testosterone from it and I am. Maybe it's to do with minerals or offal intake or something? *shrugs*

However it stands, if it IS low testosterone, you may want to try and change it.
                              --
                              Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
                              I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
                              I'd apologize, but...

Comment

Working...
                              X