Conversation at the grocery store...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conversation at the grocery store...

Fresh produce worker: Hi Mam! Can I help you with anything?
    Me: Yes, I need organic rasberries, please. (he was in the way)
    FPW: Oh! You want those... Why do you think they are different?
    Me: Less pesticides.
    FPW: Not it. The difference is the price. Pesticides are everywhere, in the water, in the air, your rasberries are the same, you're just paying more for the same thing. We (produce workers) laugh at customers like you for beign so gollable!

I didn't say anything more.
    What would you have said?
    'Try some, you'll get smarter???'
    Paleo since April 2013 for health reasons.

You're worried about the opinion of a minimum-wage earning grocery store employee?
    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I would have simply explained that the fact that they are contaminating our soils, air and water supplies as reason to avoid them and reward growers that do. Supply and demand. If we show a market, more and more will grow that way and reduce the amount f poison used every where. When you know better, you do better.

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
        You're worried about the opinion of a minimum-wage earning grocery store employee?
        No, I'm not worried, I was just wondering what others would have done/said. It was a strange experience. He shouldn't be laughing at customers. It was just weird.

Comment

Originally posted by Mud Flinger View Post
          I would have simply explained that the fact that they are contaminating our soils, air and water supplies as reason to avoid them and reward growers that do. Supply and demand. If we show a market, more and more will grow that way and reduce the amount f poison used every where. When you know better, you do better.
          Yeah, should have done that. I was so suprised I had no words!

Comment

I would hope that by the time I got to the register, I would have thought to speak to a manager. No employee should denigrate or mock a customer. He's being paid to facilitate the sale of product. When he discourages the sale of product by interjecting his personal opinion, he's not doing his job.
            "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I had a similar experience Tuesday. At a restaurant ordering at the counter..

Me: is your salmon wild caught.
              Employee: no, but..
              Me: okay, I'll take the chicken (they claim it is free-range)
              Employee: (after taking my order) why do you think it matters?
              Me: I like the idea of the wild caught and feel the salmon was happier and ate its natural diet.
              Employee: well they explained to me, the farmed are still raised in the ocean.

Just thought it was interesting. Of course, your experience was bad as the guy was openly mocking customers and probably hurting business.
              Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
              Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

Comment

This is exactly why I try not to talk to people. If somebody is in my way at the grocery store I just wait. I would rather wait in silence then be forced to talk to an imbecile.
                The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                  I would hope that by the time I got to the register, I would have thought to speak to a manager. No employee should denigrate or mock a customer. He's being paid to facilitate the sale of product. When he discourages the sale of product by interjecting his personal opinion, he's not doing his job.
                  Agreed. That guy is an asshat and should be fired for treating customers with disrespect.

Comment

Not everyone is a wage slave, there are a lot of educated people who are having to take menial jobs like that. This guy is pretty dumb, though, he probably has a point, and you're best off buying from a local farm or TJ's pesticide free frozen fruit like I do. Plus, everyone at TJ's is cool.
                    Make America Great Again

Comment

Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
                      Not everyone is a wage slave,
                      Granted. It does tend to be the default.

there are a lot of educated people who are having to take menial jobs like that.
                      Maybe true, but contradicts your previous point.

This guy is pretty dumb, though,
                      I can forgive him for dumb, but his customer service/interpersonal skills are terrible, for which his punishment is working in a grocery store produce department for minimum wage.
                      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by Waterlily View Post
                        Fresh produce worker: Hi Mam! Can I help you with anything?
                        Me: Yes, I need organic rasberries, please. (he was in the way)
                        FPW: Oh! You want those... Why do you think they are different?
                        Me: Less pesticides.
                        FPW: Not it. The difference is the price. Pesticides are everywhere, in the water, in the air, your rasberries are the same, you're just paying more for the same thing. We (produce workers) laugh at customers like you for beign so gollable!

I didn't say anything more.
                        What would you have said?
                        'Try some, you'll get smarter???'
                        Well, since he was basically calling you and other organic produce consumers "stupid", I would have replied in an equally nasty fashion- "Whew, I'm so relieved! Here I was just feeling bad for laughing at you being so inept at a job that, frankly, a blind monkey could perform. So I guess we're even."

Comment

I'm a bit of an ass when wronged.

I would note their name and continue to shop. Then, when I get to the register and get rung up with my $40-90 cart, I'd ask to speak to a manager. I would then calmly explain why I would not be purchasing these items, or spending $80-$200/week there ever again after being insulted and mocked by one of their employees, and walked off.

And yes, I did do that once after receiving bad service at a deli counter. Well, I didn't wait to checkout. I went to the customer service counter and left them my full cart and explained why I wouldn't be purchasing any of those items ever again.

Comment

Granted. It does tend to be the default.

Maybe true, but contradicts your previous point.

I can forgive him for dumb, but his customer service/interpersonal skills are terrible, for which his punishment is working in a grocery store produce department for minimum wage.
                            Sure, I agree, but you can't really stereotype anyone for working a minimum wage job as being stupid. He'd be stupid in a higher paying job too.
                            Make America Great Again

Comment

Sure, I agree, but you can't really stereotype anyone for working a minimum wage job as being stupid. He'd be stupid in a higher paying job too.
                              I actually know a very smart person who works in a produce department at a major grocery store, but he's the exception and his co-worker's saying stupid things stories are a constant source of hilarity.

I reserve the right to stereotype whoever I want at any time, and will continue to do so in spite of your lack of permission.
                              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Working...
                              X