Why do we piss everybody off so much?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do we piss everybody off so much?

I should totally know better, but I just made the mistake of reading a thread on a blog that always gets my hackles up. The original post wasn't even about the paleo diet per se, but was a stupid list of delicious carbs. You know, like Spagehtti-Os. The comments almost immediately started in on the paleo diet.

People were vehemently vitriolic about what stupid assholes paleo enthusiasts are. I mean, they were REALLY ANGRY. And also misinformed on what we actually believe about the diet of the Paleolithic peoples.

If you want to keep eating sugar and wheat, be my guest. But why care that much about me not doing so? It's weird. And given the sanctity of "fat acceptance" on this particular blog, it was tempting to start questioning the commenters' size.

Usually the angrier someone gets about a topic the more threatened they feel by it.

Originally posted by Violette_R View Post
    I should totally know better, but I just made the mistake of reading a thread on a blog that always gets my hackles up. The original post wasn't even about the paleo diet per se, but was a stupid list of delicious carbs. You know, like Spagehtti-Os. The comments almost immediately started in on the paleo diet.

People were vehemently vitriolic about what stupid assholes paleo enthusiasts are. I mean, they were REALLY ANGRY. And also misinformed on what we actually believe about the diet of the Paleolithic peoples.

If you want to keep eating sugar and wheat, be my guest. But why care that much about me not doing so? It's weird. And given the sanctity of "fat acceptance" on this particular blog, it was tempting to start questioning the commenters' size.

Comment

They feel we are threatening their way of life, simply by existing.

People who are gluten-free get the same bs all the time, like civilization is going to end if we don't cram down burgers and pizzas daily.

Comment

Speaking of gluten-free, I've been seeing a lot of BS about that lately, too. People who need to make sure I know that "YOU WON'T LOSE WEIGHT JUST BY GOING GLUTEN-FREE!!!!" Umm ... no duh. And then there are the celiacs who are pissed about non-celiacs not eating gluten. Somehow they're the only ones allowed to be concerned about the effect of wheat on their bodies and my arthritis and IBS are inconsequential. I don't get people.

Comment

It's a real battle. I am self-diagnosed gluten-intolerant, which means I get all the same symptoms as someone who a doctor has diagnosed through an expensive and/or invasive battery of tests. If I accidentally eat a slice of bread, I won't feel well for weeks. But on celiac blogs and forums, people argue that people like me are stealing away the attention that would get them proper respect or something. It's not that I don't have celiac. We will never know because I couldn't afford the testing. For all I know, I do. But the treatment is the same.

Never eat gluten again, no matter how little.

I think that anybody has the right to decide to eat (or not eat) whatever they want without idiots making arbitrary judgments about them. But I guess I'm in the minority on that.

Comment

Accidental double post deleted.

Comment

When I think of non-paleo/primal eaters, I kind of put them into two general camps: misinformed (or they just disagree) is one, stupid/lazy is the other.

The misinformed, or those that disagree might be people who think the whole "grains are bad" thing is a myth, or they might disapprove of eating animals, maybe they were born in an area where they weren't exposed to lots of fish, or their family never ate organs, etc. But basically, they are people who have enough self respect to know how to use an oven, and try to feed their children decent meals.

People who think Spaghetti-O's are delicious carbs or are an acceptable meal for a child don't deserve the taste buds with which they were born. They are stupid and lazy, and they rant against those who are trying to do better by living in a more wholesome manner. Somewhere in them, they know that peeling back cellophane and microwaving something every single night is a cop out, but they are too weak to even look to change. It's much easier to pick up some shitburger at a drive-through and denigrate those who don't.

Also, what stormcrow said.
              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I actually have a little fun shutting people up with graphic descriptions of how wheat and rice trigger my IBS. No one's ever been regaled with a story of explosive diarrhea brought on by pasta, then continued to tell me I should totally keep eating wheat.

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post

I think that anybody has the right to decide to eat (or not eat) whatever they want without idiots making arbitrary judgments about them. But I guess I'm in the minority on that.
                LOL, you with your good sense and maturity. That's so cute!

Comment

I actually have a little fun shutting people up with graphic descriptions of how wheat and rice trigger my IBS. No one's ever been regaled with a story of explosive diarrhea brought on by pasta, then continued to tell me I should totally keep eating wheat.
                  LOL! I love that.
                  "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post

People who think Spaghetti-O's are delicious carbs or are an acceptable meal for a child don't deserve the taste buds with which they were born.
                    I knew I should have stopped at the praise of Spaghetti-Os. I KNEW it. But my dumb bunny self just kept reading.

Comment

I agree - I think when anyone feels that their own beliefs, lifestyle, etc. are 'under attack' they get defensive. But in all honesty, I've read more than a few pissed off-sounding posts on the PB Nutrition Board (which I why I usually come to Odds & Ends ~ there seems to be less animosity in general). Whenever I come across a post, whether here on MDA or any other board I visit, that strikes me as disproportionately angry, I figure the person is trying to convince him/herself of what he/she is adamantly proclaiming.
                      Just my two cents. (I particulary like the comment about Spaghetti-O's, by the way.)

Comment

I know the article you speak of. Interestingly, I get the most flack about paleo from a gluten-free vegetarian friend of mine. She likes to say that I'm not paleo, to which I usually say "I never claimed to BE paleo, just that the vast majority of my meals are paleo-friendly, just like vegans can have a fruit bowl and say it's vegan, I can have meat and potatoes and #paleo on instagram to my heart's content." (she mostly takes issue with my IG pics, because that's life nowadays... and because she knows I sometimes don't eat paleo stuff)

Just like you said though, her understanding of paleo is flawed, she understand it as "eating foods only caveman could have" so even rice, something she knows I eat relatively often (we get chipotle at work a lot) is too new and processed to be considered paleo in her view. I've tried to explain but she shuts it down, so we don't really talk about it anymore. I have no time to be explaining myself to people that don't really care anyway and just want to get a rise out of me.
                        I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Pheebie View Post
                          But in all honesty, I've read more than a few pissed off-sounding posts on the PB Nutrition Board (which I why I usually come to Odds & Ends ~ there seems to be less animosity in general). Whenever I come across a post, whether here on MDA or any other board I visit, that strikes me as disproportionately angry, I figure the person is trying to convince him/herself of what he/she is adamantly proclaiming.
                          Maybe it's young people. I know I used to get angry over stuff that didn't affect me, but that's gone out the window as I've aged. Now I now life is hard enough without getting upset over what other people are eating, etc.

Comment

Maybe it's young people. I know I used to get angry over stuff that didn't affect me, but that's gone out the window as I've aged. Now I now life is hard enough without getting upset over what other people are eating, etc.
                            Well said, and I can relate. It's funny because just the other day my husband, who works at a college, came home and said, "I don't know what these kids are all so angry about - they get worked up over the smallest thing."
                            As I'm now on the backside of 35 (gah!), I can absolutely say I've mellowed over the years.

Comment

I try to keep silent about my food since I hate debate but I have a few FB contacts who love to take jabs at paleo. The criticism seems to be half "fiber deficiency" and half vague assurance that health = vegan. Among my age group probably 4 out of 5 people who attempt weight control start with vegan (they never stick with it but they "know" it's the best way).
                              37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Working...
                              X