Nasal irrigation with baby shampoo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nasal irrigation with baby shampoo

I caught a cold a couple weeks ago and then suddenly it took a turn for the worse. I believe it turned into a sinus infection. I really didn't want to take antibiotics so I was looking online and I found that they've done some experimenting with disrupting the biofilms that protect the bacteria from your immune system. Xylitol nasal sprays seem to work (and sugar-free gum works on teeth because plaque is a biofilm) and so does rinsing the nasal passages with baby shampoo.

Well, I didn't have any baby shampoo so I tried dishwashing detergent thinking it would have the same detergent properties and possibly the anti-microbial properties as J&J baby shampoo. I didn't have a neti pot but I did have a bulb syringe. So I made a weak solution of Dawn and squirted it up my nose a couple of times. It felt pretty good afterwards. I did it twice. Today the congestion is gone. It worked! I still feel sick but I think that is because my immune system is cleaning up after the little buggers.

Here's where I found the info.
    The Highly Effective (But Little Known) Treatment For Chronic Sinusitis
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

I tred mixing the baby shampoo with my netI pot solution several times, never worked well for me. I was so hopeful about it, too! I read that podcast transcript last year and tried it immediately. No luck. Maybe I'll try again.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

I just listened to the talk and I am very curious to try the baby shampoo nasal rinse. I just so happen to have a travel size container of baby shampoo on hand. I often use a neti pot with salt water so what I want to know is what was the ratio of detergent to water you used, was it just a drop of detergent? Also did you use regular water or did you mix it with salt water?

I've used the zylitol spray in the past and it seemed to help but you really have to use it frequently.
      Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

The podcast transcript said a 1% solution. I just put a drop of detergent in the bottom of a coffee mug and filled it 3/4 with warm water.

In addition to the nasal rinse, I took a lot of vitamins including iodine, selenium, lots of Vitamin D and a couple of multivitamins. Also ate some liver and chard for dinner, drank hot lemon juice with local honey and went to bed early. The relief from congestion was not immediate. The next morning I was feeling better and that's when I noticed the congestion was minimal and did not return.

I also read that the reason your snot gets a green or yellow color is from the white blood cells of your immune system. That's why I thought this might work. My immune system was trying but not getting through. I gave it a little help to get to the germs and kill them.

I slept a great deal of the next day and now I feel better. Not perfect, but better.
        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Guess who's crazy? YOU'RE crazy!
          You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

That is a very odd solution to me. Why not just saline solution?
            Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
              That is a very odd solution to me. Why not just saline solution?
              I agree. When I saw this post, I initially thought it was a joke.

Comment

Be careful: only use distilled or previously boiled water. People have died from parasitic infections from using tap water for neti. Tap water can have microbes that would be killed by stomach acid, but can pass unharmed directly into the blood through the lining of the nose.
                Primal Breakfast Club

Comment

Originally posted by onewomanband View Post
                  Be careful: only use distilled or previously boiled water. People have died from parasitic infections from using tap water for neti. Tap water can have microbes that would be killed by stomach acid, but can pass unharmed directly into the blood through the lining of the nose.
                  I feel that it's important to note that those incidents occurred in rural areas.
                  Depression Lies

Comment

Somehow in my mind neti pots rank right up there with enemas in terms of that's just not the direction it's meant to go.

Adding any kind of chemical to the solution just makes it even more unnatural.

I mean, think about it. You are putting shampoo/detergent up your nose! Why? Unless you are Stevie Nicks or something with massively damaged sinuses, there is no reason why the body should not be left to do it's own thing. I would think that chemicals on those mucous membranes would not be helpful to their functioning right in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                      Somehow in my mind neti pots rank right up there with enemas in terms of that's just not the direction it's meant to go.
                      but when i have a bad sinus headache from breathing in dust or pollen, washing it all out with a neti pot makes it go away

don't knock it til you've tried it
                      beautiful
                      yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                      lol

Comment

Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
                        but when i have a bad sinus headache from breathing in dust or pollen, washing it all out with a neti pot makes it go away

don't knock it til you've tried it
                        So true. My neti pot is one of my best buds when I have a cold or sinus infection. The solution packets are just salt and baking soda (which, from what I understand, is to soften the water). It's very soothing and so helpful. Before discovering the neti pot, I'd used Ocean nasal spray (or its generic equivalent), but now I find those types of spray irritating and ineffective to boot.

Comment

Neti pot with saline/baking soda + Sinus Buster Amazon.com: Sinus Buster Classic Formula by Sinus Buster - .68 Ounces: Health & Personal Care

Yeah, people think I'm crazy but I LOVE that stuff. Sinus spray with hot pepper extract in it... BOOM!
                          Feels good!
                          I think I have the allergy formula right now...
                          BUT, they have a new formula out with pepper AND horseradish... even hotter?
                          Even more sinus clearing?
                          I'll have to try it.

It's strangely addictive. Seriously.
                          “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                          ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                          And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

i wonder if i'll get the same effect by eating hot wings while washing my sinuses out *hmmmmm face*
                            beautiful
                            yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                            lol

Comment

Depends... do you eat "hot wings" or HOT wings.

Lots of places I've had hot wings at I can barely even taste the "hot".
                              It gives me a sad.
                              “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                              ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                              And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Working...
                              X