Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corn starch as body powder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Corn starch as body powder

    I grew up in a very different climate from the one I now live in and I haven't adjusted well to the hot, humid summers. I feel gross all the time and like to use body powder to feel a little less gross. I've always used corn starch as I believed that was safer than commercial talcum powder, but now I'm questioning if something I wouldn't eat is OK for topical application.

    What do you guys think? If it's not good, is there a paleo alternative?

    Thanks.

  • #2
    I live in Humidity Central and I've used (and loved) Burt's Bees Baby Bee Dusting Powder for years. It has cornstarch it in (see link below), but personally I don't find that to be a problem ~ plus it has a very light, barely-there-but-nice fragrance, not at ALL like traditional baby powder. It's also got baking soda, which is good for keeping that yucky, sticky feeling at bay.

    Buy Burt's Bees Baby Bee Dusting Powder & More | drugstore.com

    Comment


    • #3
      I use cornstarch too, and it has never been an issue for me. I wouldn't worry about it. You could buy organic corn starch if you're really concerned though.

      Comment


      • #4
        A lot of body powders use corn starch as the main ingredient. You might want to use those instead of food grade corn starch
        F 28/5'4/100 lbs

        "I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Damiana View Post
          A lot of body powders use corn starch as the main ingredient. You might want to use those instead of food grade corn starch
          What would be the difference?

          Comment


          • #6
            Quality control by the FDA mainly. It varies with different types of products, powders, oils, but I don't think there's much of a difference but some oils are more processed. For powders, it's mainly purity and fineness of milling.
            F 28/5'4/100 lbs

            "I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

            Comment


            • #7
              My brother is a chef and comes home always with his shirt all salted white in stripes from sweat, and swears by corn-starching his ball-sack mid-shift. Says that it's magically effective and that other men in the kitchen agree.
              "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

              Jack london, "Before Adam"

              Comment


              • #8
                I don't think it's an issue. We wouldn't eat soap, but we put that on our body too. I say as long as it's natural and won't contaminate the water or poison you if you accidently *do* eat it, go for it.

                Avoid those cosmetic products that instruct you to 'rinse thoroughly' if it comes in contact with your eyes/mouth/whatever. Those are the ones that scream "I'm a poisonous chemical!!!" to me.
                Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

                Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
                Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
                Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
                F/23/5'9"

                26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by kathleen View Post
                  I don't think it's an issue. We wouldn't eat soap, but we put that on our body too. I say as long as it's natural and won't contaminate the water or poison you if you accidently *do* eat it, go for it.

                  Avoid those cosmetic products that instruct you to 'rinse thoroughly' if it comes in contact with your eyes/mouth/whatever. Those are the ones that scream "I'm a poisonous chemical!!!" to me.
                  I never use soap. Which stings like a mofo if you get it in your eyes. Because of the lye. Caustic stuff. I make my own skin scrubs and cleansers with stuff I actually do eat, like olive oil, coconut oil, salt, sugar, honey, eggs .... goodies like that. I like to give my skin treats too

                  I've used corn starch a few times and really like it. I know it's not strictly paleo but it's ok with me. That amount isn't going to hurt you. What's nice is to seal it in a baggie with some sprigs of rosemary or lavender or maybe vanilla sticks. If you have dried herbs or tea you can tie that in muslin and then put that into the baggie with the corn starch. In a few days you have scented powder.
                  be the hair that knots with my hair
                  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                  primal since oct. 1, 2012

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I don't have the box anymore so I'm not 100% sure, but I purchase goat's milk soap from the natural store which I do not believe has lye in it. Maybe it has very little. Doesn't sting my eyes when it gets in them, and my skin really feels soft since I switched to goat's milk soap.
                    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

                    Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
                    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
                    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
                    F/23/5'9"

                    26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Pheebie View Post
                      I live in Humidity Central and I've used (and loved) Burt's Bees Baby Bee Dusting Powder for years. It has cornstarch it in (see link below), but personally I don't find that to be a problem ~ plus it has a very light, barely-there-but-nice fragrance, not at ALL like traditional baby powder. It's also got baking soda, which is good for keeping that yucky, sticky feeling at bay.

                      Buy Burt's Bees Baby Bee Dusting Powder & More | drugstore.com
                      I'd forgotten that I have a Lush body powder stashed away (don't like the glitter in it) that has baking soda in it.

                      So I'm guess I'm good with corn starch and baking soda. I like Little Vase's idea of vanilla sticks.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X