Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copper IUDs (and birth control in general)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm looking at essure sterilization right now. Neither DH nor I want any more children, and it looks like a good option that doesn't affect hormones negatively, etc.

Comment

I'd be careful about Essure; the whole concept strikes me as being a disaster waiting happen and a lot of women have had issues. Some leading to unplanned pregnancies, others to needing a hysterectomy. Of course, I have the Mirena IUD, which has a ton of negative stories out there. I'm debating whether to remove it. There just aren't many good options for women who want birth control that doesn't involve hormones.

Comment

Update on my copper IUD (Paragard) since this thread resurfaced. I had it inserted at the end of September 2013 and I think my cycle has just started adapting. Last cycle (two weeks ago) was not quite as heavy as I've been experiencing since the insertion. The cramps for the first 2-3 days of my period have gotten less, but I will still take some Ibuprofen to get through them. I still get some occasional post-coital cramping, which I never had before the Paragard, but it's not terrible. The only thing I don't like about it, that might not even be related, is that I've been struggling with some kind of mystery infection since November. I've seen multiple doctors, nothing comes up in tests, and no treatment I've tried yet has worked. I can't find any information indicating how this could be the Paragard at fault, but it's the only thing that's changed in my health/life/hygiene.
        Depression Lies

Comment

After having my first and only child at age 18 I wanted my tubes tied. The doc refused and I had no say because I wasn't 21 apparently (this was almost 23 years ago). They talked me into being a guinea pig for the Norplant. I had the rods inserted with no issues. However, I had a period for 4 years. Pretty much nonstop. I think it ruined my first marriage - HA! I decided to have them taken out and they came out with no problem. Left a small scar. After I had them removed my doc suggested Depo shots. So I did those for 5 years or so and loved it because I had no period (although I gained 20 lbs). I then started seeing a guy who had been fixed so I stopped the Depo and didn't use anything. After that relationship ended up in the toilet I talked with my doc about doing the Depo again. She said no and suggested oral birth control pills. She started me on a pill called Levora, a low dose she said and I have been on it ever since. I guess it's been about 8 or 9 years. A couple years ago a midwife suggested continuous dosage because I swear every time I planned a vacation it was the same time I was supposed to be having my period!! So I've been doing that now. I have a period every 4 months, no side effects. I have often wondered how the long term use of this pill will affect my health and was wondering about other options. I think after reading all of these horror stories I'll stick with what I have!

Comment

Too bad there's not an easily reversible vasectomy. That would make the most sense, especially since it's guys who don't like condoms.

Comment

Originally posted by fitmom View Post
              Too bad there's not an easily reversible vasectomy. That would make the most sense, especially since it's guys who don't like condoms.
              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revers...under_guidance

hopefully there will be soon, men need more contraception options.

Comment

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                Update on my copper IUD (Paragard) since this thread resurfaced. I had it inserted at the end of September 2013 and I think my cycle has just started adapting. Last cycle (two weeks ago) was not quite as heavy as I've been experiencing since the insertion. The cramps for the first 2-3 days of my period have gotten less, but I will still take some Ibuprofen to get through them. I still get some occasional post-coital cramping, which I never had before the Paragard, but it's not terrible. The only thing I don't like about it, that might not even be related, is that I've been struggling with some kind of mystery infection since November. I've seen multiple doctors, nothing comes up in tests, and no treatment I've tried yet has worked. I can't find any information indicating how this could be the Paragard at fault, but it's the only thing that's changed in my health/life/hygiene.
                There have been reports of bacterial vaginitis with IUDs. Basically, a never ending infection. I've been lucky and have never had a yeast infection but maybe those prone to them have more trouble with IUDs. Also a lot of stories from women who said no one ever pinned the blame on the IUD even after they had ruled out other things. Just a thought.

I've been having a lot of moodiness on the Mirena, which I am not used to at all. My doctor initially said it has to be a change in diet or exercise without realizing how anal retentive I am about those things. Pretty sure it's the hormones. Doctor then kind of scolded me, saying the benefits of reliable birth control outweigh the negatives and that I would adapt to the hormones. I'm wondering why I want to adapt to feeling all moody lol. I have an appointment this week to talk more with her about it.

Better contraception for men would be great - I'm not a fan of condoms either.

Comment

^I'm hoping that even if it is somehow the IUD throwing off the flora balance, I can rid myself of this anyway. It's not classic BV because I've already been treated for that (I DID have that infection in November, which started the continued single symptom since then) and every single time I go back, they check, and it's negative. I'm guessing it's some other kind of flora imbalance. I am basically trying every single home remedy in the books at this point.

I absolutely do not want to go back to hormonal contraception, I don't trust us with condoms, and I am too afraid to try the calendar method.
                  Depression Lies

Comment

Well, I haven't seen a lot of evidence of women having problems with essure leading to hysterectomies, considering the situation is basically the same as a tubal ligation, it just doesn't have as much history behind it.

My mother had a tubal when she was my age; She hasn't had any problems since, really. So, you know, it's an option.

Comment

i was on levora for years and had zero issues. minimal periods.

had a mirena inserted a few years back for peri-menopause issues and it was a nightmare. horrible. awful. yeah, the insertion hurt like a bitch and my dumbass doctor didn't even warn me or tell me to take anything nor offer me anything). i remember walking out of the office and having an insane cravng for candy, which i never eat. i should have paid more attention!

each month got worse. my periods never lessened. my boobs, which are already huge, got impossibly bigger and i started gaining weight that would. not. stop. my moods swung like a trapeze act and i got more and more depressed. days would go by where i could not get out of bed or answer the phone. i stuck it out for 10 months and was sobbing in the doctor's office when i asked him to take it out. it was like a shroud was lifted from me. i lost 5 pounds overnight and 7 pounds by the end of the week.

ugh.

i have friends that love it, but it was a total fucking nightmare for me. b/f has had a vasectomy so i no longer need to worry about b/c. thank the baby jesus.
                      As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Got Mirena out due to non-stop yeast infection just put Copper IUD in today

Hello, I wanted to comment that I did have 12 months or recurring yeast infections while I had Mirena IUD in. I tried various medications as well as diets and nothing stopped them. I went for 2 weeks on Candida diet (no sugars, no gluten of any kind, not even fruits), plus taking probiotics, plus coconut yougurts and it didn't stop my infections. I even put garlic in my vagina for a week (changing daily). Alas, they stopped and haven't come back even once since I took it out (9 months ago).

Ironically, I actually lost lots of wait on Mirena but mainly cause I tried to get rid off/prevent my yeast infections through strict dieting, plus my toddler was up a lot at night.

Since we can't really have a 3rd baby right now and I am against hormonal birth control (due to associated risks when you get close to 40s), I wanted to try copper IUD. I can't comment on copper IUDs as I just got it put in today, but will be sure to come back and comment in a few months. Wish me luck

Comment

I hope it works for you oraptsun! I had mine for less than a year (7 months? I don't remember.) It was great at first, but it shifted downward and sex hurt something terrible. And even tough it doesn't have hormones, mine went to Crazy Town. I read online about copper toxicity. I was sad when it came out, but relieved. I wish you luck!

I'm leaning towards getting my tubes tied here shortly.

Comment

Oh I never followed-up on this. I still haven't been able to resolve my desquamative inflammatory vaginitis. Having the IUD removed in April helped only a tiny bit. I miss it, but I'm happy to go back to my normal periods.
                            Depression Lies

Comment

I'm still going strong with my copper IUD. I got it in April 2006. I plan to have it removed in a couple of months. Hopefully, my next IUD will be as good. No issues for me at all, except that it has been nearly impossible to get a doctor's appointment to have the thing removed... I've got new insurance and therefore am a new patient and the earliest I could get in was 2 months after I called.

Comment

I swear I am not a hippie, but steeping a couple of teaspoons of wild yam root in hot water for twenty minutes and drinking it has saved me from having to get my copper IUD removed. I had so much pain at first I had to have my husband carry me to the ER - and yet they said everything was fine. When I don't drink the stuff, I have a lot of cramps and serious shark week. I drink the stuff - no cramps, and everything is short and sweet. I don't know - worth a shot. I usually drink one cup a day for two days.

Comment

Working...
                                X