How's this for false advertising?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How's this for false advertising?

I found this today and was all excited thinking that Primal is finally taking off in Australia

Primal Strips - Meatless Vegan Jerky - Primal Spirit Foods - Home of the Primal People

But no, its Freakin' Fake Meat.
    Starting waist measurement: 36". Current 35". First Goal 33".
    Starting backsquat: 50lbs. Current squat: 132lbs.

This actually makes me want to kick small kittens.

Ok maybe not kittens.

small rocks.

Its the whole range of things that shouldn't be in health food IMO.

NON-GMO VITAL GLUTEN (WHEAT PROTEIN), WATER, UNREFINED EVAPORATED CANE JUICE, NATURALLY BREWED SOY SAUCE (WATER, NON-GMO SOYBEANS, SEA SALT), EXPELLER PRESSED CANOLA OIL, PEANUT BUTTER, VINEGAR, FRESH THAI BASIL, SEA SALT, NATURAL VEGETARIAN SPICES. NO MSG ADDED.

oh, no wait it has basil! Yay one edible thing.
    Starting waist measurement: 36". Current 35". First Goal 33".
    Starting backsquat: 50lbs. Current squat: 132lbs.

Comment

And sea salt.

What's kind of weird is that jerky was a way to keep meat from spoiling. So someone thinks it's a good idea to make dried fake meat? The mind boggles.
      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by zoeamy View Post

Ok maybe not kittens.

small rocks.

Its the whole range of things that shouldn't be in health food IMO.

NON-GMO VITAL GLUTEN (WHEAT PROTEIN), WATER, UNREFINED EVAPORATED CANE JUICE, NATURALLY BREWED SOY SAUCE (WATER, NON-GMO SOYBEANS, SEA SALT), EXPELLER PRESSED CANOLA OIL, PEANUT BUTTER, VINEGAR, FRESH THAI BASIL, SEA SALT, NATURAL VEGETARIAN SPICES. NO MSG ADDED.

oh, no wait it has basil! Yay one edible thing.
        Don't forget the vegetarian spices!

Comment

Heh. the same thing happened to me today. Got excited when I saw them and then was crushed when I saw 'vegan' on the pack.
          How the hell is vegan anything primal?

Comment

A friend on a vegetarian low-carb diet offered me some a few months ago (knowing I was interesting in such things amongst a sea of CW), I had to look twice and try not to pull a funny face!

Comment

Oh, I had some of those years back. Simply bloody awful. It was the Tariyaki one. Took a bite, spit it out and tossed the rest.

M.

Comment

Ugh! Seriously?? NOT PRIMAL!!!

Comment

Comment

I'd rather eat this!

Complete Raw Diets for Pets: Canine Beef Formula

Actually, looking at those ingredients I really would.
                    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

How is it false advertising?
                      They have to make a statement (or imply one) that is not true or could be misleading to the average consumer.
                      Assuming all the statements are true (eg contains SOY and does NOT contain MEAT etc) then it's not misleading - though perhaps saying it's healthy IS misleading......(though how is this proven).

As for the use of the word Primal - I cant see problem with it (the word can be used in many areas including vegetable based foods). In any case they openly state it's vegan/vego.

So would I eat it? - No! : it's processed junk (IMO).

Comment

The issue with the word "primal" is that it has no legal definition that the FTC can enforce. I wonder if "healthy" has none also, or the product qualifies by some of the ingredients it contains.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                          The issue with the word "primal" is that it has no legal definition that the FTC can enforce. I wonder if "healthy" has none also, or the product qualifies by some of the ingredients it contains.
                          Something can be healthy and/or unhealthy depending in how/when its taken, how much and by whom.

If "health" claims/words were scrutinized in adverts (apart from very obvious things like cigarette smoking), then almost very product would need to be justified ("Healthy grains", "healthy fruit juice", "healthy snack", "health food", "health/fitness center", "health services").

I think it's a claim that 'conceivably' has a 'reasonable chance' to be true for most people (well, sort of...maybe... ) - you could probably challenge it legally if you had the time/money to provide evidence to prove it to be false, or force them to put up reasonable evidence to support their claim and then refute it with counter evidence (but that's not going to happen in the real world).

So they can make their claims unchallenged - they even may believe them themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Deghvon
                            hell is vegan anything primal?
                            Veggies, I guess.

M.

Comment

I've seen these at whole foods. Blech.

Buy yeah, you can't stop them from calling it primal. WE have a gut reaction of "Hey! That's OUR word! Get off it!" But there is no trademark on the word primal, nor an official definition the precludes this product. They are allowed to call it "delicious" too....
                              No disease that can be treated by diet should be treated with any other means.
                              -Maimonodies

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea.

Babes with BBQ

Comment

Working...
                              X