Who is actually losing weight?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is actually losing weight?

I've been reading through some of the journals and the forum.

It seems like some people are absolutely struggling to lose weight on primal.

Is it just that the people who are already at or close to a healthy weight who have a hard time?

Is anyone who (seriously) has 50+ pounds to lose having (or had) troubles?

And what is up with the neurotic calorie counting?
    Starting waist measurement: 36". Current 35". First Goal 33".
    Starting backsquat: 50lbs. Current squat: 132lbs.

Lost 50 pounds easy. Counted calories at first, then went by feel. It was easy.
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I just ignore the 'nuerotic calorie counting' types, and stick to the PB proper.

I personally had initially gotten frustrated with lack of weight loss, but it did happen slowly over about 6 months. I didn't really have much to loose as I'd already done my big loss using WW previously but was struggling to maintain. So I lost 4 kg in 6 months, and have kept it off for the last 6months with very little effort. I think there are quite a few of us on here that live Primal not for the weight loss but for the bigger lifestyle and health improvements.

Have a look over at the success stories thread, it'll make you feel a whole lot better.

Comment

Thanks Lizzielou, i started with success stories but the journals threw me off

Comment

So now I'm a 'neurotic calorie counting' type (edited for spelling).

Okaayyyy.
          be the hair that knots with my hair
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          primal since oct. 1, 2012

Comment

It can be slow, you can stall, it can take some effort.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
            Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

oh dear, i shouldn't have read your blog... why did you have to mention chocolate croissants?

Comment

I want to add the weight never came back in these three years. I mean, water weight and a couple of pounds up and down, but pretty stable between around 175-180 for the most part. And I always eat until I'm stuffed, and do little fasts during my work week. Rarely over 24 hours. Best and most awesome thing that I tried? Juggling macro ratios! I found out I feel best on high-protein, usually that means about a pound of meat (fish, liver, beef heart, ground grass-fed beef, chicken, etc.) a day, chased with the other stuff (avocado, berries, eggs, mushrooms, bone stock, seaweed, seafood, dandelion, etc.). And real sauerkraut, kombucha, spices, you know - the whole yuppie menu. And hard-ish, aged grass-fed cheese and raw milk. Honey and molasses are fine, too. With me. For now.

But it helps to play around. Try high-carb once your fat metabolism is back in good shape and you've lost a few pounds. Many find it advantageous. But that means do the new thing for a month, not a week! Changes are upsetting and your body needs time to adapt.

*edit - Weight loss was slow, sometimes a pound a month. But when that pound never comes back, you're winning.
                Last edited by Knifegill; 04-09-2013, 04:03 PM.
                Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I lost 65 lbs and have kept it off too.

The whiny "I've been paleo for three whole days now and haven't lost anything. It must not work", kind of posts get tiresome.

People who are successful don't feel the need to do threads like that.

And not all calorie counting is neurotic. It has its place in getting a person in touch with what a reasonable portion should be.

Comment

When I'm dedicated to eating paleo, I lose weight easily. When I cheat (wine is a weakness) I tend to maintain easily. When I go completely off plan and eat CW I gain weight. I did that recently. I'm back to eating paleo style. I feel better, too- a lot better.
                    High Weight: 225
                    Weight at start of Primal: 189
                    Current Weight: 174
                    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Comment

I lost approx 18lbs following strict primal (not counting calories and only sort-of-estimating carbs) and I did not find it hard at all. I lost a little more than I intended as I found it hard to stop losing at first. Since then I have maintained the same weight for several months, which is actually a little trickier than losing in my opinion.

I don't think it's hard to lose weight on primal, what some people seem to find difficult is actually sticking to the blueprint. I do not fully understand this, but feel it is probably related to negative mindset and self confidence issues, strong unhealthy habits, addictiveness of SAD products, hormonal unbalances and various other factors from being too far out of kilter with diet and health for too long. They can't be insurmountable problems though, because many people have successfully pushed through to overcome them.
                      Annie Ups the Ante
                      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

Originally posted by Annieh View Post
                        I lost approx 18lbs following strict primal (not counting calories and only sort-of-estimating carbs) and I did not find it hard at all. I lost a little more than I intended as I found it hard to stop losing at first. Since then I have maintained the same weight for several months, which is actually a little trickier than losing in my opinion.

I don't think it's hard to lose weight on primal, what some people seem to find difficult is actually sticking to the blueprint. I do not fully understand this, but feel it is probably related to negative mindset and self confidence issues, strong unhealthy habits, addictiveness of SAD products, hormonal unbalances and various other factors from being too far out of kilter with diet and health for too long. They can't be insurmountable problems though, because many people have successfully pushed through to overcome them.
                        What some people find hard is not "sticking to the blueprint". What they find hard is that they don't seem to be able to recognize unconsciously when their bodies have had enough food so they can stop eating. And then people judge them and tell them they are doing it wrong, and make up all sorts of things they must be doing wrong, without any direct knowledge of the situation.

Comment

So, you think people are overeating on primal food? Rather than slipping back into eating the junk? I see lots of people confessing to succumbing to garbage even though they know it's wrong.
                          Annie Ups the Ante
                          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

I'm directly guilty of what Annieh suggested. I fall off the wagon sometimes. If I'm eating primal, I lose weight. If I eat CW, I gain weight. I find it hard to overeat when eating primally.
                            High Weight: 225
                            Weight at start of Primal: 189
                            Current Weight: 174
                            Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Annieh View Post
                              So, you think people are overeating on primal food? Rather than slipping back into eating the junk? I see lots of people confessing to succumbing to garbage even though they know it's wrong.
                              Yep. There are people who are overeating the good stuff. And it's annoying as heck to be told you're lying or delusional by someone who has no idea what you're eating.

Comment

Working...
                              X