X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I lost 50 pounds, have kept it off...
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Losing weight has always been easy for me. The only thing I need to do is do a small calorie deficit and eat strict. any type of exercise helps tremendously.
      My interesting paleo weight loss blog

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
        And not all calorie counting is neurotic. It has its place in getting a person in touch with what a reasonable portion should be.
        I agree with this. I needed to see the numbers and macros of the foods I was eating when I was stuck at 185 pounds. I haven't tracked my meals in a long time, but I used the Paleo Tracker a lot when I was trying to get a foothold. It was very necessary in the process for me.

PS: When I reach my goal weight, I will have to go back to the tracker and repeat the process using different macros. I don't want to sabotage myself by thinking that I can just eat primally and things will be ok. Maybe they will, but that will bear out over time if true.
        Last edited by MsSmith; 01-07-2014, 03:12 PM.
        Paleo Diet: 8-25-13 Wt: 185 BF% 27
        Primal Diet (Lower Fat/Carb): 9-27, Wt: 176.4
        Potato Hack Diet (Rotation): 11-12, Wt: 171.2
        Primal Diet (LF/C): 1-23-14, Wt: 159.6
        1-30-2014 - 157 (lowest weight since 2004)
        GAPS/SCD 12-29-2014
        CW: 164 GW: 130-135 CBF%: 24.38
        49 - 5'7.5"
        Macros (PFC) 30/40/30

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
          I'm an emotional eater and whatever regulates true hunger doesn't work in me. I certainly wish it did.
          Same here JoanieL.
          Paleo Diet: 8-25-13 Wt: 185 BF% 27
          Primal Diet (Lower Fat/Carb): 9-27, Wt: 176.4
          Potato Hack Diet (Rotation): 11-12, Wt: 171.2
          Primal Diet (LF/C): 1-23-14, Wt: 159.6
          1-30-2014 - 157 (lowest weight since 2004)
          GAPS/SCD 12-29-2014
          CW: 164 GW: 130-135 CBF%: 24.38
          49 - 5'7.5"
          Macros (PFC) 30/40/30

Comment

When I'm actually following LCHF primal and moving regularly the weight just falls off. My problem has not been with weight loss, but with sticking with it. It's just HARD to break addictions to food, especially sugar, when you've been eating that way for over 25 years. The more I figure out primal options for old "comfort" foods the better I do.

For me, I know stress also has quite a bit to do with it. Getting "back on the wagon" has required more mindful eating practices, prayer, and other stress reducing practices in addition to nutritional knowledge.

I also definitely need support to make a life long change - and that has been the hardest part. The ladies at my work are mostly quite healthy - so things like sugar aren't an addiction for them - they think nothing of spreading baked goods all over the staff room table but rarely put out more healthy options. I just have to avoid the staff room most days - but that can make it isolating too, because the staff room is where most of the socializing occurs. Fortunately my family is slowly coming around to a real food lifestyle (though not full paleo) and my mom understands that health issues are part of why I insist on at least gluten free food at holidays. And the ladies in my Bible study are definitely health focused and a couple of them are also paleo-inclined - which helps. So it's getting better, but there's room for improvement.

All that to say, the flaw in weight loss with primal is not with the plan - which totally works! (I speak from experience having lost 40 lbs. on it). The flaw is often more with social, psychological and emotional health and supports necessary to maintain a lifestyle change like this.
            Healthy Bucket List:
            • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
            • Hike the Appalachian Trail
            • Do a real pull-up
            • Run a 5k
            • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

Comment

The flaw is often more with social, psychological and emotional health and supports necessary to maintain a lifestyle change like this.
              Ah-ha! Maybe this is why some people find this easy.

Being rather unsocial means I answer to very few people, and am rarely expected to eat cow-fodder.

Psychologically, I know exactly how crazy I am and have 0 qualms about it.

Emotion is largely a pest to be exterminated, not a thing to heed.

Thus, my barriers are relegated to financial funding and the time it takes to shop at 5 different stores once day a week with a screaming baby and exhausted wife.

I can't imagine if I also had friends nagging me, was trying to not be crazy, and paid attention to my emotions. OMG, I'd be angry, obese, and frustrated!
              Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by OutdoorAmy View Post
                The flaw is often more with social, psychological and emotional health and supports necessary to maintain a lifestyle change like this.
                Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                Being rather unsocial means I answer to very few people, and am rarely expected to eat cow-fodder.
                Major point IMO.
                Eating right is an upstream swim. The effort bears results but since the environment never changes, an individual can reach exhaustion from the subconscious pressure alone.

I'm in a happy place and know how to provide for myself but the fact remains that my commute has a dozen food posters and billboards, my work meetings smell like donuts and mysterious "coffee lightener", my weekend buddies are only interested in pizza and beer, and my parents use bowls of chips and popcorn as decorative accents. Daily friction with the briar patch has a psychic cost.
                37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Exactly!

Going into my staff room at work is like asking an alcoholic to go to all their work lunches and social functions at a bar.

Is it conquerable? Sure. But let's not pretend it isn't really, freaking hard.

It helps to have those "mocktails" aka "paleo treats" available. And to have the sugar-addict equivalent of the AA prayer through mindful eating practices.

(Again though, it's something I'm working on - because I WANT to live primally all the time - but I'm not perfect and it's very difficult despite wanting it badly).
                  Healthy Bucket List:
                  • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
                  • Hike the Appalachian Trail
                  • Do a real pull-up
                  • Run a 5k
                  • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

Comment

Working...
                  X