No announcement yet.

Who is actually losing weight?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been following primal for about 8 months and have had zero weight loss, but I have stopped gaining weight. This is huge because I was slowly gaining weight for the past 10 or so years no matter what I did. I love that I am not gaining weight and eating wonderful foods!

I am a good 80 to 85% primal, I love my wine and beleive life is too short to give it up. I don't have a lot to lose, but I would like to lose 15 lbs. I am looking at my health, I always thought I was healthy (eating healthy and exercising) but through primal have found out I am gluten intolerant! I had no idea! What have I been doing to my body? My feet are no longer in pain, I do not sweat (smelly sweat) like crazy even when it is cold outside, I am not always cold, and I am not dying if/when I miss a meal.

Now that I am more in tune with my body I have been researching stuff and found that I am loaded with Candida, bad! I had been taking antibiodics since I was 6 for chronic bladder infections. I have always suffered from low engery, plus a host of other stuff tied to Candida. Getting rid of it has been horrible and I am still fighting it.

Additionally, as an adult, I worked in a major, major stressful field and I feel I also have some adrinal issues. I doubt anyone in that field would be without adrenal issues. I think when people have a hard time losing weight on primal and they are following it, it could very well be some underlying issues that are not discovered yet. Losing weight is very hormonal and if that system is out of wack it can be very hard to lose weight no matter what. I am hoping that once I get Candida under control I will lose a little, and I already have a way less stressful job thank goodness. In the meantime I am so thankful I am not on a slow train to overweight, I am not killing my intestines with wheat, and I am on the slow train to health (hopefully).

Comment

I have lost 6 pounds. I have been Primal for just a couple of weeks.

My start weight of 150 is considered to be a normal BMI for my height and body type, as told to me by my doctor. 150 is a "healthy weight" yet I have lost some weight. If you eat primal, and you have extra weight to lose, it will be lost. It may take a while to "kick start" but try it for a few weeks, you'll see and feel changes.

So yes, I am actually losing weight while being primal. My exercise routine consists of a weekly hike, lifting weights 3 or 4 times a week, and some cardio for maybe a total of 1 hour a week. I am never at the gym for more than 30 minutes.

Just eat healthy, and be patient.
      Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
      Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
      Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
      F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Comment

Lost 23 kilo in 7 months, not counting calories and still eating fruit and chocolate
        I am the weight I was 30 years ago and can do a handstand what I haven't done in 35 years
        Also feeling better than I have done in the last 30 odd years. I am so glad I found primal and hope to spend the rest of my life in great health eating primal all the time.

Comment

For those with eating disorder issues I just came across Geneen Roth and her writings. Her most recent book Women Food and God (and it's not what you think!) could well be the missing link so many here feel. Especially all the self-sabotagers!
          Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

Comment

I lost too much weight for my tastes and had to incorporate drinking coconut milk on a semi-regular basis. I'm back to my ideal weight of about 170#, but in really good shape at that weight. My ex-wife dropped over 80# without trying all that hard.

Comment

I lost too much weight for my tastes and had to incorporate drinking coconut milk on a semi-regular basis. I'm back to my ideal weight of about 170#, but in really good shape at that weight. My ex-wife dropped over 80# without trying all that hard.
              I also did not want to become thin. I like being strong. Power to you! I regularly drink coconut milk by the cup and usually eat beyond satiety to keep my muscles fed and avoid further weight loss. 5'9" around 183 pounds most days, sometimes down to 175 when I get busy...
              Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

i have lost 66 pounds, most of it eating primal. the first fifty went fast, the last 15-20 have been slow and althought i know i am getting better it has gotten a bit frustrating
                SW 333 PBSW 308 CW 291 LW 254 GW 220

Comment

"I no longer live a lifestyle that supports obesity, and my body will eventually adjust accordingly."

That is a wonderful way to phrase the journey, and for 'obesity' you could substitute many other words, like 'depression' for example.

Thank you
                  Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

Comment

I was already within my "healthy" boundary to begin with, but went from just over 65kg to just under 60kg in a few months. Now I'm focusing on gaining lean body mass and am up by 4kg in 3-4 months, whilst the actual fat content of my body only increased by 50-200g (by body-fat-% went down by quite a bit during the gains!). Recently dropped another two percentages of body-fat (I must've went from 25% to 18-19% since starting Primal last August), but staying at 64kg. Aiming for 70kg of mostly LBM.

No calorie-counting or restriction. The odd fast when I feel like it (initially fasting came much easier). The only counting I did was to check how much is going in (I'm doing a log of this year), not to actively restrict. So I'd just see what I've eaten and take note, not aim to change anything and not restrict say, dinner, if lunch was heavy.
                    Lost most of the weight being fairly inactive and eating 1300-1800kcal/day, but I've gradually moved onto eating more as I had more energy to do exercise. Now I regularly hit 2300kcal, going over 3000kcal about once a week. I've managed to move onto Primal naturally, without forcing anything, counting anything or making myself exercise more than I was ready for.

Then again, I'm an odd case, as, pre-Primal, I was eating a "perfect" food-pyramid diet. 1500-2000kcal/day, low fat, breads almost always wholegrains, wholegrain brown rice, lots of fruit and veg, some meat every day, but not "too much", take-aways no more than once every two months, junk no more often than once sausage-roll or a few scotch eggs a week and no alcohol. My only vice was caffeinated energy drinks.
                    I'd already lost two to three dress sizes (from an average 16 to a small 12/large 10) over three months through severe caloric, fat and sugar restriction on a flexitarian diet.
                    The difference with Primal was how easily and comfortably it came to me. I could just eat what my body wanted and see my excess fat, lethargy, D3 and iron deficiencies, skin problems...etc all melt away. Now I have lost the excessive fat I had and gained enough energy to exercise like my body wants to.
                    Last edited by Kochin; 04-20-2013, 01:36 AM.
                    --
                    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
                    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
                    I'd apologize, but...

Comment

I wasn't fat to begin with, but I lost ~15. I've been at this weight for most of my adolescent and adult life and I'm comfortable here.
                      F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

I lost a total of 40 pounds, but I am at the weight where I want to be, more or less, so I am content with that. I think if I lost another 10 I would look a little thin. The first 30 came off quite easily over the course of 3 months, (with a minor stall when I started jogging daily for a week or two) but the last 10 took much longer. I've been able to maintain it though, which to me is one of the most important aspects. I started counting calories at the beginning, but I was so tired of that that I lost the last 20 or so without counting. For me, counting is completely unsustainable. But moral of the story is yes, I did lose weight!

Comment

Well, I'm up to 45 lbs lost now.
                          The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

Comment

As a follow-up to this thread, I've lost another 13 lbs or so since April, now down to 149 for a total loss of 32lbs since going primal on 01OCT2012. Still only eat when I am hungry, still don't eat carbs from grains or sugars. Cut way back on alcohol after thanksgiving, losing 5 lbs since then. Buying new (smaller) blue jeans is nice!
                            Began Primal Living: 25 Sep 2012
                            Starting Weight: 82kg (180 lbs) - Lost 30 lbs since going Primal!

"I do not eat enough carbs to justify eating low-fat."
                            "Have some bread with your bread, pasta, bread, and HFCS." - Unicorn
                            "I also walk my dog twice a day now instead of paying someone else to do it." - IronGirl
                            "Tell me you're not weak minded enough to be outsmarted by a donut?" - not on the rug

Comment

When I started about fifteen months ago I lost five kilo in four weeks, down to my ideal weight, easy as strawberry pie.

Well, not entirely easy. I remember missing bread very, very much the first few days, I felt like I was going insane without it. I kept missing bread for three weeks. But then I got better, and soon didn't miss it at all.

Comment

I didn't need to lose weight, so I didn't lose any. I might have lost a few lbs of fat and/or exchanged it for muscle, but it's negligible.

Comment

Working...
                                X