Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Losing weight too fast? Should I be concerned?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Losing weight too fast? Should I be concerned?

Hi friends

First of all - I love the Paleo Diet. I've been in for 2 weeks now and I've just started to notice the 'balanced' energy feeling coming in. It's great! I could go on about the other noticeable positive changes too but my main question is... Am I losing weight too quickly? Is that even possible?

I've had comments from workmates saying 'oh you don't need to lose any more weight' which worries me.

I like to think I'm eating a pretty good amount of protein and veg each day, and I also spend about 4 - 5 hours at the gym each week following the Paleo fitness guidelines.

Personally, I'm ecstatic that my belly fat's starting to disappear and the loose bits under my arms. My partner thinks it's great too 'isn't it amazing how a change in your diet can make such a difference'.

Any advice would be great, thanks!

When people say to me "you don't need to lose any more weight" I generally think they've got an agenda (particularly if I've definitely still got excess fat to lose!!). Are your workmates in good shape? Or are most overweight?? I would definitely question their motives!

Unless you are bordering on underweight, then I'd say you're going well. You haven't said how much you weighed at the start, or what you weigh now. I guess that when someone seems to lose weight very fast, it can be worrying to some people (who may not know the reason behind it), but overall if you're happy and your partner is happy I'd say you're fine!!

Comment

What was your starting weight, your current weight and your goal weight?

I agree that generally people make those comments because they are a little bit intimidated/threatened when people start changing their diets and their bodies for the better.

Are you eating enough food that you don't feel hungry all the time? Do you have enough energy to get through your day? If so, I would say your are probably doing just fine.
      Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice. I started at about 68kg (5-6 weeks ago when joining the gym) and sat at about 66 - 67 up until 2 weeks ago when I joined the Paleo regime. Now I'm nearing 63kg.

BMI calculators say I'm in normal range, and I'm not hungry most the time. If I do get hungry I grab the pistachios and I'm fine till the next meal.

I love a few wines in the evening, so I've switched over to the reds (about 2 glasses max).

My workmates are overweight (well most of them). I guess that's the result of a desk job and carbohydrate brainwashing. But my close workmates are really interested in the Paleo diet too. I do talk about it a lot at work haha. I feel like I want to advocate it, but without being pushy. It's really working for me. I just didn't want to lose weight at an unhealthy rate.

Thanks again!

Comment

Conventional wisdom says a sustained weight loss should be 1-2 pounds a week. I think for the most part that is a reasonable figure, except perhaps the first couple of weeks or for morbidly obese people.

Comment

It's exciting that you have found something that works so well for you and that you feel so evangelistic about it. I know I feel the same.

From time to time people may feel motivated for whatever reason to comment on the new you. I've had this happen too. If it's complimentary (wish I had your figure) then you can smile and say thankyou, if negative (don't stand next to me you're too skinny) then it's best to ignore. If genuinely concerned (don't go losing any more weight) then you need to weigh up whether the person is qualified to make that statement. Health professional or gym instructor, maybe take note, overweight co-worker, perhaps not so much.

What matters is how well and healthy you feel, as well as your partner's opinion.

If you are truly worried that your co-workers' comments may be justified, then you can put the brakes on your weight loss by adding in some extra primal calories on a daily basis. Otherwise, stop worrying and just keep doing what you're doing until you reach your goals.
            Annie Ups the Ante
            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Fireling View Post
              When people say to me "you don't need to lose any more weight" I generally think they've got an agenda (particularly if I've definitely still got excess fat to lose!!). Are your workmates in good shape? Or are most overweight?? I would definitely question their motives!
              Exactly this. It's sad and unfortunate, but so many people hate seeing others succeed, especially in weight loss. It makes them feel defensive about their own bodies and lifestyle and eating habits, and they feel better if you stay overweight. I had a "friend" like this, who would really go out of her way to try and keep me from losing weight a couple years ago. I mean constantly bringing over pizza, ice cream etc and asking me to go out to restaurants every week, none of which happened before I told her I had lost 10 pounds. Needless to say, the friendship didn't last.

If you feel you are losing weight/fat at an acceptable rate and still have fat to lose, don't listen to others who tell you not to lose any more weight. Unless you are really under eating, it will be hard to lose too much weight because your body will self regulate and settle in at a healthy weight. Good luck!

Comment

Thank you all! I'll take the advice on board

Comment

Also, the weight loss tend to be more dramatic at the start and then taper off naturally as you reach your optimal weight. Just because you lost 5 lbs the first week doesn't mean that will be the pattern.

Sounds like you are doing great. Keep it up.

Comment

I lost 20 pounds in the first 2.5 weeks. Have only lost 5 pounds since then, about a year.. Its water weight.

Comment

I've noticed that people's idea of a 'normal weight' has changed over time. Look at pictures from the 50's and 60's. I think today those people might be considered underweight. But they were not. Most of them ate far better than the current SAD.

Today there are so many overweight people that I thnk we've gotten used to seeing them and considering their weight acceptable is they are not in the obese category.
                      "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

Originally posted by Alyndri View Post
                        Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice. I started at about 68kg (5-6 weeks ago when joining the gym) and sat at about 66 - 67 up until 2 weeks ago when I joined the Paleo regime. Now I'm nearing 63kg.

BMI calculators say I'm in normal range, and I'm not hungry most the time. If I do get hungry I grab the pistachios and I'm fine till the next meal.

I love a few wines in the evening, so I've switched over to the reds (about 2 glasses max).

My workmates are overweight (well most of them). I guess that's the result of a desk job and carbohydrate brainwashing. But my close workmates are really interested in the Paleo diet too. I do talk about it a lot at work haha. I feel like I want to advocate it, but without being pushy. It's really working for me. I just didn't want to lose weight at an unhealthy rate.

Thanks again!
                        63Kg =139 lb

How tall are you (barefoot) - about 170cm ?? (5' 7")
                        Skeletal structure ? (small, medium large) - perhaps medium???

Can you grab a HANDFUL of fat from belly area whilst standing up straight ?

Loosing 2 to 3 kg (about 5 lb) is normal in the first week or two normal on almost ANY diet (you're releasing retained water from the body)

After that Loosing 0.5 to 1 kg (about 1 to 2 lb) a week is normal is you have excess fat (stuff you can grab with you hand) - this can slow down or even stall after a while.

When you get to the point you have to 'pinch-and inch' if body fat with fingers and not 'grab-whole-handed', then mostly like your body would have already slowed down weight loss.

Underweight?
                        You can be normal weight and be over weight on fat AND underweight on muscle (at the same time)
                        To me, underweight is underweight on MUSCLE.
                        In a everyday practical sense I RARELY see anyone 'on the street' (or anywhere) underweight on body FAT - meaning I don't think "they could use more body fat to be healthier".
                        Underweight people I see have always been underweight on muscle.

'Athletic' people I see are always "underweight" on body-fat (by "normal" standards) and carry a good amount of muscle (sometimes plenty) so their weight is very good (perhaps even 'heavy') - again I don't think "they could use more body fat to be healthier".

Many overweight people are badly underweight on muscle (the high percentage of fat they carry hides this reality).

It is possible you're underweight on muscle if your too 'wiry' (if so eat more good stuff and lift heavy things)
                        But my GUESS is you're not underweight on body-fat (and probably not muscle either)

Someone (anyone) saying to stop loosing or you're too thin (and they're heavier than they 'should be'):
                        Could your loosing weight be a slight threat to them?
                        Do they have a distorted idea on what is healthy weight?
                        Is your good health/eating habits, highlighting their not-so-good habits?

Short answer is you're not loosing weight too quick, just ensure your always carrying enough MUSCLE weight.

Sadly there's no point in trying to 'save' EVERYONE around you (it will just end in frustration for you and annoy them) - though occasionally you'll have people come to you seeing that you've easily maintained good health/weight over the long term.

Good Luck.

Comment

Concern from this corner as well...

This is me heading into week 3 of going Primal. I am not quite 80% on the primal fitness but trying very hard (which is not actually difficult) to keep primal with what I eat. I live most of my life in my Vibram FiveFingers...has helped with foot issues.

I was concerned about losing 5 or so pounds within the first week and even asked my doctor who said I should not be concerned (he liked the new healthier me attitude). How many others out there lost the weight that fast....any issues?

Still think the weight is disappearing too quickly. I usually am on the edge of, "am I actually hungry?" Before, between meals...was horrible. Now, I never feel like I am starved or get hunger pains. Concerned that I am not eating enough, but I don't usually feel fatigued until night within hours of bedtime.

I am using the FitDay to log food and am usually under 100g carbs and around 100g protein.

I am under 5' tall and began around 162 pounds... Now less than 154. I feel good (except somewhere along the way the inside roof of my mouth has become inflamed, hard to eat or swallow...doctor can't tell me why). Not eating nuts until after I have some additional allergy testing on Monday.

My blood sugar has been much more regular.

This has been an eye opening experience for me... Most of the way done with The Primal Blueprint, but already read the info in the 21-day...

Suggestions? Experiences with the same concerns?
                          Last edited by daem1313; 07-19-2013, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Losing 5 lbs in the first week of a diet is common, especially if you are cutting out processed foods and carbs. It's a combination of water and glycogen - not fat- being dumped from your system. After the first week or two, you'll notice weight loss will slow down to 1-3 lbs per week (depending on how serious you are about your diet/exercise) and should be all fat. If you're still losing at a higher rate, you need to evaluate whether it's all fat because you do not want your body to start cannibalizing its muscle tissue.
                            High Weight: 225
                            Weight at start of Primal: 189
                            Current Weight: 174
                            Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Comment

First week of any diet is lost body water weight ( 5lbs in your case) - normal

A low carb diet will usually easily lose 1 to 2 pounds per week of body fat at the beginning - normal too.

Roof mouth inflammation - don't know, perhaps you're allergic to something or have some sort of infection.

Comment

Working...
                              X