Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Half jug of milk 4 months past, no obvious mold. Safe?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah. Milk is nice in that it will tell you if it's bad. The smell when you open that will probably make you gag. Milk often doesn't grow mold. But that thicker layer on top? Thats the nastiness! (Its actually making me gag a little just THINKING about opening that thing!

Comment

What does it smell like? When I used to drink milk I would get rid of it about the time it started to smell metallic. I don't know if that makes sense, but the metallic smell preceded the gone-rotten smell by a few days. I could taste it, as well.

The fact that all the milk fats have separated make me suspicious. Were it me, I'd probably toss it on that alone.
      High Weight: 225
      Weight at start of Primal: 189
      Current Weight: 174
      Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Comment

I've made cheese by accident on several occasions, by my wife not dumping the milk out and just leaving it at room temperature on the counter for a few weeks. No mold, smelled like cheese, looked like cheese, whey and all. But if I want cheese, I'll buy it. I wouldn't risk it.
        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

if you're thinking this long and hard about milk that is clearly gone off, you have too much time on your hands.
          As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

LOL.
            No, I don't know what it smells like, and yes, I fully intend to smell it before tasting it.
            Cheese is actually the main reason I'm considering it, but fridge temperatures are generally not conducive to fermentation. I considered adding some cheese, yogurt, and/or sour cream, but the time for that would have been January. Too late now. I will open it tonight or tomorrow morning and report back.

Comment

Buying fresh milk is cheaper than a visit to the hospital.

Comment

Well, milk that gets old in the refrigerator is not worth keeping. Surprisingly, there was very little smell, good or bad. The liquid portion tasted unfit for consumption (so I did not). It was not quite milk-colored, and I can confirm the "metallic" taste. The top layer, on the other hand, was literally cheese. There were at least two kinds, one of them cream cheese, the other was familiar (kind of rubbery) but I couldn't identify what it resembled. Regardless, after the third or fourth nibble I decided that they were they worst cheese I had ever had, possibly including "cheese product". Certainly not worth the effort of spooning it out.
                Anyway, I did that on an empty stomach, then had a couple eggs. It's been four hours, no symptoms. I have thrown the milk away. At some point I'll make cheese properly.

Comment

So you'll probably make it.

Comment

You're a good sport and pretty brave for trying it.
                    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Working...
                    X