No announcement yet.

Primal on a Budget?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I must have missed something because I thought almost all the posts were being helpful.

Buying in bulk is sort of a catch22 for some people. First you have to find an affordable freezer. So, you have an up front cost that people experiencing financial hardship can't always swing.

Honestly, if you're really limited to $50/week for two people, it does behoove you to check out food stamps. Because the govt currently gives $200 per month to single people who qualify. In addition, once you have food stamps, you qualify for other programs. Free cell phones with 250 minutes per month, help with your utility bill, etc. We don't need to sit by like sheep and pay our taxes when we're able but then be too proud to ask for help when we're not. Also, a friend bought me some protein powder with his food stamps to thank me for driving him to doctor appointments, and protein powder can be a pretty inexpensive way to get protein.

Anyway, yes, it's tough to eat non factory food on a strict budget. The only way it will change is over time as consumers shy away from factory foods. Or by convincing the fed'l govt to subsidize family farms the way it subsidizes big business. Which doesn't help the person looking to eat well today. We all do the best we can. And hopefully in the up times, we remember that sometimes people in financial trouble aren't slackers. A lot of Americans are about six weeks away from being destitute if the main breadwinner lost her/his job.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by notlupus View Post
      Trust me, when you try to spend $50 a week for 2 people you've already cut EVERYTHING else. It sucks and no one would try to do that so they could go get mani-pedis or whatever you rich people do with all your money. It's insulting to make suggestions of other things to cut.
      neither you nor i know what the op does or doesn't have. i offered what I DO. i was unemployed when i started eating this way. yeah, it sucked, but i didn't berate people who shared their experiences with me.

most weeks i still spend only about $25-30 on food.

the people who live in the homeless shelter on my street all seem to have money for cigarettes and dunkin' donuts coffee, ya know?

gah. get over yourself.
      As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Another thing that helps is making a menu based on sale items in the weekly ads. Then rummaging through your pantry for every ingredient, making a list of what you need for each meal. Then only buy what is on the list. This helps us a ton. I spend about 300 a month, for a family of 3. So not a big jump over your budget. I also do tons of leftovers. When making dinner, I try to keep back or make enough for lunch the next day. 2 boiled eggs and an avocado, banana, or orange costs less than a dollar a day for breakfast.

As for cutting other things in life. We don't have cable, car payments, expensive hobbies, gym memberships, etc. Home internet and smartphones add to our overall life enjoyment and productivity. A small mortgage, and utilities make up most of our bills. Cut where you can, save where you can, splurge a little on yourself. But don't get down on yourself if you can't afford grassfed beef, pastured chicken, free range pig, and organic veggies. Eat your meat and veggies, a little fruit or treat every now and then, get some exercise, and be happy.

Comment

The problem is that all the ways you suggest to "save money" are things this person probably already does. They want help with food, not rich people talking about giving up showtime so they could buy grassfed steak.
          They were offered help with food as well as other creative ideas to increase their food budget. Nobody said "get a job" or "fire your butler" or "auction off your collection of Renaissance Art"

Seriously, lose the entitlement attitude. Be thankful when people try to help you. Or eat your damn Ramen noodles and peanut butter in silence.
          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
            They were offered help with food as well as other creative ideas to increase their food budget. Nobody said "get a job" or "fire your butler" or "auction off your collection of Renaissance Art"

Seriously, lose the entitlement attitude. Be thankful when people try to help you. Or eat your damn Ramen noodles and peanut butter in silence.
            Yeah, you telling me to give up cable THAT I'VE NEVER HAD helps so much. Thanks. Or quit using the drycleaner THAT I'VE NEVER SET FOOT IN will save me money too. Just like buying clothes at the thrift store like I have been for years and years already. I lived off less than someone that worked at McDonalds, so having rich people giving me stupid advice to "save" money on things I can't afford sucks. I've never seen this level of snobbery on ANY other forum.

How about we just get all this out of the way with this "helpful" article so we can focus on ways to save money ON FOOD. Twenty money-saving tips from bankers and their wives | Job news & advice | eFinancialCareers

Comment

Yeah, you telling me to give up cable THAT I'VE NEVER HAD helps so much. Thanks. Or quit using the drycleaner THAT I'VE NEVER SET FOOT IN will save me money too. Just like buying clothes at the thrift store like I have been for years and years already. I lived off less than someone that worked at McDonalds, so having rich people giving me stupid advice to "save" money on things I can't afford sucks. I've never seen this level of snobbery on ANY other forum.

How about we just get all this out of the way with this "helpful" article so we can focus on ways to save money ON FOOD. Twenty money-saving tips from bankers and their wives | Job news & advice | eFinancialCareers
              You want us to wave a magic wand and increase your salary? We gave our best ideas and advice. Potatoes and eggs. Bananas and cheese. Liver and canned sardines. If you have cable, cancel it. If you dry your clothes, start hanging them.

Your response was to whine about us not understanding how poor you are. If you're that poor, you shouldn't be shopping for Primal food, you should be picking through a dumpster for half eaten sandwiches.

Or get a job.

A-hole.
              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by nathan.custer View Post
                Another thing that helps is making a menu based on sale items in the weekly ads. Then rummaging through your pantry for every ingredient, making a list of what you need for each meal. Then only buy what is on the list. This helps us a ton. I spend about 300 a month, for a family of 3. So not a big jump over your budget. I also do tons of leftovers. When making dinner, I try to keep back or make enough for lunch the next day. 2 boiled eggs and an avocado, banana, or orange costs less than a dollar a day for breakfast.
                ZipList is really handy for this, it integrates the ability to clip recipes from the web, put the ingredients on a shopping list, and once you put in your zip code it shows a $ icon when one of the items is on sale at a local store.

When our budget is tight, I buy rice and potatoes to stretch our food. I personally don't eat much of it because I don't need the carbs, but the other less-Primal members of the household do. I also try to use large, cheap cuts in the crock pot over several meals and use sauces to mix things up--for example I take a large boston butt and cook it in the the crock pot with neutral seasonings (S&P, garlic, paprika), shred the meat, and use homemade BBQ sauce on it one day, then salsa another day for a Mexican twist (topped with avocados from Aldi, cheapest place hands down to get them). Aldi is a great suggestion if you have one near you, I have even found that some of their produce is organic, just not advertised (or priced) as such. I always buy my fresh clean 15 produce there, particularly bananas and avocados.

Comment

Rich people telling me to get a third job WHILE I'M IN GRAD SCHOOL and recovering from almost dying! How original.

I can't dumpster dive due to allergies. My response was to tell you to stick with saving money on food and you got all butthurt because you aren't as thrifty as you thought you were. It's ok. Once I graduate and start my 6 figure salary I'll be able to retire super early thanks to what I've learned from years of life taking a dump on me. I want to retire at 45 but the husband wants to buy a Ferrari or two so we'll see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by meeshar View Post
                    ZipList is really handy for this, it integrates the ability to clip recipes from the web, put the ingredients on a shopping list, and once you put in your zip code it shows a $ icon when one of the items is on sale at a local store.
                    You should try southernsavers.com for coupon match ups with local ads. I get all the SO's non-primal stuff super cheap that way and sometimes there are coupons for meat items as well. The last time Harris Teeter had super double coupons there was a printable pork coupon and I stocked the freezer with some pork chops at about $1/lb after the coupon. When Target had a giftcard deal on pop-tarts I ordered coupons off ebay. They were under $1 a box of 12, and now I don't have to worry about the SO running out and paying full price for them. If there is something on southern savers I really want to stock up on I will buy coupons on ebay, but I mostly stick with the ones I can print since I don't have time to cut them from the paper every week and keep track of them.

Comment

Rich people telling me to get a third job WHILE I'M IN GRAD SCHOOL and recovering from almost dying! How original.

I can't dumpster dive due to allergies. My response was to tell you to stick with saving money on food and you got all butthurt because you aren't as thrifty as you thought you were. It's ok. Once I graduate and start my 6 figure salary I'll be able to retire super early thanks to what I've learned from years of life taking a dump on me. I want to retire at 45 but the husband wants to buy a Ferrari or two so we'll see what happens.
                      Originally posted by notlupus
                      This is turning into the same BS that got posted when I asked about budget options.
                      They want help with food, not rich people talking about giving up showtime so they could buy grassfed steak.
                      so having rich people giving me stupid advice to "save" money on things I can't afford sucks. I've never seen this level of snobbery on ANY other forum.
                      I personally forced you to go to grad school, so I understand your ire. I apologize on behalf of all people who made the mistake of trying to be helpful. I'll pass on responding to the ad hominem attacks/your ridiculous presumptions about my lifestyle.
                      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

what an obnoxious child you are. the only one "butt-hurt" in this thread seems to be you.
                        As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

A lifesaver when the economy tanked and I had to give up my car in 2009 was buying my rice in giant sacks. I ate a lot of rice in the next year. I also got in shape walking miles to get places, but that was a gradual process.

Comment

You should try southernsavers.com for coupon match ups with local ads. I get all the SO's non-primal stuff super cheap that way and sometimes there are coupons for meat items as well. The last time Harris Teeter had super double coupons there was a printable pork coupon and I stocked the freezer with some pork chops at about $1/lb after the coupon. When Target had a giftcard deal on pop-tarts I ordered coupons off ebay. They were under $1 a box of 12, and now I don't have to worry about the SO running out and paying full price for them. If there is something on southern savers I really want to stock up on I will buy coupons on ebay, but I mostly stick with the ones I can print since I don't have time to cut them from the paper every week and keep track of them.
                            Thanks, I forgot about Southern Savers. I used to be a serious (but not extreme) couponer, but when we changed our diet to ditch the processed foods (and eventually went Primal) I stopped doing it as much. I still print some coupons (Earthbound Farm, Applegate, etc.) but didn't think to keep up with Southern Savers. I miss Harris Teeter, when my youngest was a tiny and colicky baby they actually let me do triple coupons using their Express Lane pick-up.

Comment

We're poor primal and just get our meat from Kroger. We don't aim for anything special and I always try to look for the discounted expiring tomorrow meat. If your grocery store does that, it's good to go in the middle of the week early morning after they've restocked everything to get the discounted stuff.
                              We buy whatever is on sale and sometimes splurge on something if we're really wanting it.

We're lucky and get our eggs from my husband's parent's chickens, but I'm sure there are plenty of people like them who sell their farm fresh free range eggs very cheap. They only charge 1.50/dozen for theirs (we get them for free but everyone else pays that ).

While obviously grassfed stuff would be best, it is expensive as hell and well, not all of us can afford to spend that much on it. Dn't beat yourself up if you have to eat conventional meats.
                              DD born August 2012
                              TTC #2
                              SW: 1/20/14- 212.4
                              CW: 2/21/14- 202.6 (9.8 loss)
                              Goal: Short term, get below 200 and get pregnant. Long term, get to 120-130
                              Mini goal, get in to a size 12.

My boring uneventful journal for your viewing pleasure

Comment

If any of you are in the southeast and want to join a facebook group to keep up with deals on paleo friendly sales at area grocery chains let me know. The chains in my area are: Harris Teeter, Food Lion, Kroger, Lowes Foods, and Super Target.

Comment

Working...
                                X