Game of Thrones - GOT fever?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NicoleP View Post
    Well, that was a bit underwhelming to say the very least. In fact it was a bit boring.

Yeah, I can't say I was blown away, but it did set up next season, which I guess is the point.

edit: thinking about it this is a trend. Episode 9 is the big events...Ned (IIRC), Battle of the Blackwater, Red Wedding. Then Episode 10 kind of sums up and sets the tone for the next season. Though perhaps Ned happened in Episode 10, bleh, dang memory.
    Last edited by canio6; 06-10-2013, 06:32 AM.

Comment

• i got a little anxious that ____ was gonna get ____ instead of ____ because he released ____ to ____ towards ____ so he wouldn't get ____

arya though. that little psycho, i dig it
      beautiful
      yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
      lol

Comment

• speaking of the devil:

Neil Gaiman has a new book coming out

The Ocean at the End of the Lane - it's on sale date is 6/18. It's a small book - only 178 pages.

Comment

• There are some divergences that I don't understand with the book and the TV series...

Theon/Reek is one of them.
          I personally really like the book version of Theon/Reek. We all come to understand the horrors of his captivity without being subject to really reading much about it at all. It's left as a bit of a mystery except for the fact that he has been utterly physically torn apart by it, and completely mentally shattered.

But it's not gratuitous.
          We don't need reminding every 5 min.
          It's actually the lack of attention to it that makes it work better IMO.
          It's just handled so much better.

Is this because the TV watching public won't do well with characters who disappear for a while? ADD?
          I mean, they could show where he is on occasion without going this completely off into the land of WTH.
          I really think the changes to the Theon/Reek character are not helpful at all...

Also... EVERYTHING out of sync at Kings Landing.
          I was hoping they would tie that up a bit. But no. *sigh*

I want to read the books again now to make myself feel better.

Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
          arya though. that little psycho, i dig it
          It was such a proud moment.
          She done good!
          Last edited by cori93437; 06-10-2013, 07:39 AM.
          “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
          ~Friedrich Nietzsche
          And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

• Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
            There are some divergences that I don't understand with the book and the TV series...

Theon/Reek is one of them.
            I personally really like the book version of Theon/Reek. We all come to understand the horrors of his captivity without being subject to really reading much about it at all. It's left as a bit of a mystery except for the fact that he has been utterly physically torn apart by it, and completely mentally shattered.

But it's not gratuitous.
            We don't need reminding every 5 min.
            It's actually the lack of attention to it that makes it work better IMO.
            It's just handled so much better.

Is this because the TV watching public won't do well with characters who disappear for a while? ADD?
            I mean, they could show where he is on occasion without going this completely off into the land of WTH.
            I really think the changes to the Theon/Reek character are not helpful at all...
            Yeah, K and I hated that as well. I loved the mystery surrounding wtf happened to Theon and who was this new Reek. I see it happening as it did for two reasons - 1) people like Theon and the show is keeping him around. Much like they are doing with Dany/Arya who disappeared for a book at a time. The other reason is that Reek in the book at least at first is straight up jacked up...missing fingers on both hands, missing toes, all his teeth smashed and broken, reduced to eating rats, his 'other thing' removed, and looking like a crippled old man. That is alot of make up work...much like how ugly Tyrion is supposed to be and how bad his injury was at the Battle of the Blackwater, but the show leaves Peter Dinklage looking all like his sexy self. They seem to have gone the same route with Theon - kept the injuries more hidden so as to save money on makeup and keep the actor looking like himself.

Comment

• Wait . . . Theon doesn't become Reek for a while, correct? Did the show push that SL up? I haven't watched any of the show yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zanna View Post
                Wait . . . Theon doesn't become Reek for a while, correct? Did the show push that SL up? I haven't watched any of the show yet.
                Then quit reading the spoilers thread!

Theon should not be in this season at all. As such, all that has been pushed up.

Comment

• Eh, maybe it's good that I don't watch the show, things like that would irk me.

I started the Kushiel's Dart series and like it so far. Kinky!

Comment

• Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                    Tyrion is supposed to be and how bad his injury was at the Battle of the Blackwater, but the show leaves Peter Dinklage looking all like his sexy self.
                    That is quite a change to his character, in that case, because the scar in the show makes him seem incredibly vain (which is a weird contrast to his perspective on dwarfism/his physical presence in the world). It doesn't really make sense.
                    Depression Lies

Comment

• Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                      That is quite a change to his character, in that case, because the scar in the show makes him seem incredibly vain (which is a weird contrast to his perspective on dwarfism/his physical presence in the world). It doesn't really make sense.
                      I wonder how much of that is just the actor's natural charisma. While Tyrion is far more self-deprecating in the books (and a far more tragic character...please don't f*ck that up HBO...) he is still confident and every bit a Lanister (though not really a Lanister in my opinion). That confidence coupled with the actor's charisma seems vain, but I do not think it is intentional.

Comment

• Tyrion... cockiness = self defense mechanism, not vanity IMO. But can feel that way.

His "Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." speaks the loudest about how he feels about himself... he knows the world sees him as less/a monster, and in a way he does too, but he fights it bitterly, tooth and nail. But he also knows he can never escape it... thus his constant unhappiness and drinking.

The whole of King's landing chars being out of sync STILL was irksome.
                        I thought they would tidy at least some of that up somehow.

I do think that television viewer ADD is having a huge impact on the editing though.
                        Readers are just better at paying attention to characters...
                        Last edited by cori93437; 06-10-2013, 09:53 AM.
                        “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                        ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                        And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

• Tyrian is all full of self-defense mechanisms and survival-skill wit. Not many are allowed to see anything else and those who do usually disappoint him. Sigh. I love Tyrion.

Comment

• I can't wait to watch tonight. I was too busy yesterday, so I had to dvr it. although from what I've read here and in other places, it doesn't sound too promising. oh well. I don't expect it to live up to the books anyway...

Comment

• Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
                              I can't wait to watch tonight. I was too busy yesterday, so I had to dvr it. although from what I've read here and in other places, it doesn't sound too promising. oh well. I don't expect it to live up to the books anyway...
                              It's not that it was bad. It just wasn't the Red Wedding.

Comment

• Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                                It's not that it was bad. It just wasn't the Red Wedding.
                                I was hoping some king's landing stuff would get wrapped up as well, and it doesn't sound like it did.

Comment

Working...
                                X