Game of Thrones - GOT fever?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by canio6 View Post
    Sadly, most epic fantasy is done very badly on the screen, though LotR and Narnia did well. Much of the made for TV stuff fizzles - the awful Tale of the Seeker for example. Hell, they even jacked up the Dresden Files (not epic fantasy but you get the point). I think GoT works on HBO becuase there is lots of back stabbing and GRRM is not scared of gratuitious sex and nudity. Rumor has it they might do The Hedge Knight next, which would rock and with the success of GoT might keep an audience.

As for the Dark Tower, I must be the only person in America who didn't like it. I've tried reading the first book abour 5 times. I get various lengths into it - 1/3, 1/2 and just say 'F' it.' I just can't get interested, which is odd as I like some of King's other works.
    I think GoT works because its not strictly fantasy. It's politics and intrigue. In fact, I turned my oldest son onto the GRRM series and he, in turn, introduced his FiL to it. His FiL doesn't read scifi/fantasy,but likes the books because of the intrigue.

I only got through the first 3 or so books of the Dark Tower series. I likes most of King's writing, but there are a few of his books that I just couldn't get through and the DT series was one of them. BTW have you read 11/22/63 by King? One of his best IMO. More of a scifi angle than horror.

Comment

• I don't particularly like fantasy at all. GoT is great in spite of the little bit of fantasy involved, not because of it. I'd hardly classify thrones as fantasy at all

Comment

• That completely explains why I couldn't read more GoT: politics.
        Depression Lies

Comment

• As for the Dark Tower, I must be the only person in America who didn't like it. I've tried reading the first book abour 5 times. I get various lengths into it - 1/3, 1/2 and just say 'F' it.' I just can't get interested, which is odd as I like some of King's other works.
          No, I'm with you. I hated it too. I also didn't like The Tommyknockers, but I like a lot of his other stuff. My favorites are the short story collections. I'll have to see if The Hedge Knight is available for Kindle. Might check out the Kushiel trilogies too. Love getting new recommendations! I've been ploughing through a lot of Neil Gaiman lately, can't believe I never read him before.

Comment

• One does not plough through Neil Gaiman... one luxuriates in it.
            “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
            ~Friedrich Nietzsche
            And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

• Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
              One does not plough through Neil Gaiman... one luxuriates in it.
              Then one reads Anansi Boys and wonders wtf happened.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lynna View Post
                I think GoT works because its not strictly fantasy. It's politics and intrigue. In fact, I turned my oldest son onto the GRRM series and he, in turn, introduced his FiL to it. His FiL doesn't read scifi/fantasy,but likes the books because of the intrigue.
                Very true. There were times in ASOIAF where I just put the book down, looked at my wife, and said, "Damn. Just Damn."

Comment

• Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                  One does not plough through Neil Gaiman... one luxuriates in it.
                  Then one reads Anansi Boys and wonders wtf happened.
                  Heehee. I read Anansi Boys early on, so it didn't distress me too much. What are everyone's favorites?

Comment

• Too many posts to hit reply to!

Neil Gaimon: Father, mother, friend and lover I'm assuming you guys have read "Sandman"? Has to be one of the most beautiful, deep, intriguing stories of all time. The only other thing of his I read was "the graveyard book", and I didn't like that at all... I also didn't like the film adaptation of "Corialine".

I agree that the reason GOT is so popular is cos is scales back on the fantasy. It's strength is in the characters, and the story.

Also, why is the series called GOT, when the books are called ASOIAF?
                    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Originally posted by Zanna View Post
                      Heehee. I read Anansi Boys early on, so it didn't distress me too much. What are everyone's favorites?
                      Favorite Gaiman? Neverwhere and American Gods. His kids books are decent too. And the man has his own beehives. Who doesn't love that?

Though for the record he is an ugly scrub who needs a hair cut not a sexy man beast like my wife seems to think. not that I am jealous or anything....

Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
                      Also, why is the series called GOT, when the books are called ASOIAF?
                      Because the title works better for TV? That is my guess.

Comment

• Love Gaiman, but he hasn't written much for adults for several years. Still enjoy his writing though.

The series title is a Song of Ice and Fire. they decided to call the HBO series after the title of the first book, for whatever reason.

Comment

• The Hedge Knight is a novella. If was first published in an anthology called Legends.

Comment

• Probably not a popular opinion, but I enjoy the show a lot more than the books. I feel, GoT, is more suited to be a show, despite having problems with pacing(because of the books, probably, it does very well at following them) and bad choreography. I just think literary, it's pretty bad.

I like The First Law a lot more personally.
                            Make America Great Again

Comment

• Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
                              Probably not a popular opinion, but I enjoy the show a lot more than the books. I feel, GoT, is more suited to be a show, despite having problems with pacing(because of the books, probably, it does very well at following them) and bad choreography. I just think literary, it's pretty bad.

I like The First Law a lot more personally.
                              You didnt even read the books you fat liar.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zach View Post
                                You didnt even read the books you fat liar.
                                I started them! I will finish just cause I wanna know what happens.
                                Make America Great Again

Comment

Working...
                                X