No announcement yet.

North American Fashion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This. All of this is why I hate shopping. I am tall enough that petites don't fit and usually kids stuff doesn't either, but thin enough that nothing else does. And yes, companies have changed their sizes a lot. One example is my favorite pair of jeans ever came from a second hand store, but they were Eddie Bauer brand so I went into the store to try to find out if I could get more like them. Of course they didn't make them any more, but I thought if they fit so well, I may as well try on some of their newer styles. My second hand perfectly fitting pair said size 6. So I grabbed several different styles in size 6 and headed to the dressing room. They were all huge! So was size 4. And 2, the smallest size they offered, was still really loose on me. I complained and a kind sales lady informed me that they had changed their sizing in the last year after surveying their customers to find out what size they all thought they were. I'm sure it's working for them, but they won't get my money as the smallest size they have now is still too big for me. And the same has to be true for at least some other women. It really sucks.
    ~Ariel

http://arielcsblog.blogspot.com/

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." - Thomas Paine

Comment

My local area consists mostly of overweight people. We're talking there are more larges and XLs on the shelf than all the others combined. Normally, that doesn't bug me. They know their target audience and adjust accordingly. However, it's when they flat out remove everything below a small, 4, or a 6 that they lose my business. Not by my choice, mind you, I'd love to be able to shop at more than 5 stores total in an area with a fair amount of retail. I swim in a 4 in most places and there's no point in putting a 6 on anywhere. When I ask if they have anything smaller than a 4, I invariably get shown to the juniors (AKA crappy skintight clothes) department.)
      I normally don't even bother with shopping online unless I know the company's fits REALLY well. Even if I know how their stuff fits, I'm still really hesitant to buy online. What if they changed their style and now a 0-2 is too big, or has developed that nasty gap in the back? What if that shirt that once fit perfectly is now like all the others (tight across the shoulders, enough side boob to fly with, and a waist that I would fit in comfortably at 6 months pregnant.)
      All I ask is that companies, at least online, put up a measurement section. Neck, shoulders, bust, waist, hip, inseam, rise . I don't want crap like " eased," "fitted," or "relaxed." Give me measurements. And stay true to those measurements. Don't send me a 2 that fits like your measurements for a 6.
      Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
      My Latest Journal

Comment

I really think all the changing of sizes in women's clothing is helping, on some level, to contribute to our collective fatness. "Oh, I'm still a size 6, so I must be doing something right!"

And it's hard to find stuff that fits properly if you're an in shape guy with shoulders and lats and a small waist. Most shirts assume you have a giant belly and no back muscles.

Sent via lightsaber

Comment

I'm almost 5'11", have wide hips, and am not skinny. Yesterday at Macy's I had to buy a pair of knit shorts that were sized Medium. While I have traded in some fat for muscle, that's just silly. I don't wear a medium anything, or at least didn't in the past. They had T-shirts in Extra Small, so that must be to try and snag the formerly-small-sized gals.
          Age 55, post-menopausal, primal since August '12 with some dairy, lots of seafood, following PHD and the 5 Leptin Rules. Taking ThyroGold, eating RS and zero wheat with great results. My Primal Journal

Comment

Here is a chart that shows the different brands and their vanity sizing.
            Pants Size Chart - Mens Pant Sizes by Brand - Esquire

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
              I really think all the changing of sizes in women's clothing is helping, on some level, to contribute to our collective fatness. "Oh, I'm still a size 6, so I must be doing something right!"
              I agree. Same with giant portions in restaurants...it normalizes eating gobs of cheap, simple carbs, sugary sauces, etc.

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
              And it's hard to find stuff that fits properly if you're an in shape guy with shoulders and lats and a small waist. Most shirts assume you have a giant belly and no back muscles.
              While flying over the weekend, couldn't help but notice how oddly-shaped and bulbous almost everyone is. If they're not fat, they are often skinny and weak-looking. Saw one guy that was in great shape at the airport, later saw a nicely toned gal at the grocery store. It's few and far between. It's nothing new though...on a trip to Norway in the mid-1980s, it was astounding how healthy and fit everyone at every age was. Hope they're still that way but the U.S. is worse than ever. No wonder the clothing manufacturers have a problem!
              Age 55, post-menopausal, primal since August '12 with some dairy, lots of seafood, following PHD and the 5 Leptin Rules. Taking ThyroGold, eating RS and zero wheat with great results. My Primal Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Energy! View Post

While flying over the weekend, couldn't help but notice how oddly-shaped and bulbous almost everyone is.
                When I go someplace like Wal-Mart, I feel like a Great White that got dumped into a pond full of groupers.

Sent via lightsaber

Comment

Originally posted by chacha View Post
                  Here is a chart that shows the different brands and their vanity sizing.
                  Pants Size Chart - Mens Pant Sizes by Brand - Esquire
                  That was interesting. I assumed men's pants were more accurately sized because their sizing is a measurement, according to that article that's not the case. My son is 5'11" and we have the hardest time finding pants that fit, his waist is around 30 inches maybe a little smaller, there is very little selection when it comes to 30 x 32s. And shirts he has problems with too, if the body fits the sleeves are too short. He could just wear T shirts but he likes button ups.
                  Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Pants for men these days are made for guys who are built like flamingos. I always have to go for some super loose/relaxed/baggy style for the pants to just fit normal.

Comment

Originally posted by quikky View Post
                      Pants for men these days are made for guys who are built like flamingos. I always have to go for some super loose/relaxed/baggy style for the pants to just fit normal.
                      Jesus, yes. And more frustratingly shirts are the opposite. I often have to get slim-fits even though I'm not a skinny guy. I'm 6'4", 240, and XL shirts often fit me like a maternity dress.

Comment

Just in case anyone's interested, someone else on a different thread had shared this link:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...im-has-arrived

Seems like a good idea and since the reached over $700,000 with an original goal of $15,000 there must be a lot of other people interested too. I can't actually vouch for them yet, but I ordered two pair and am anxious to see how they fit.
                        ~Ariel

http://arielcsblog.blogspot.com/

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." - Thomas Paine

Comment

Last week we ordered couple of jerseys for our team from myboxercraft.com. Amazing stuff. I think I got the best deal at a great price. Worth Every Penny.

Comment

My fav clothing site

I like to shop from MensUSA they really have awesome stuff from suits tuxedos to belts and boots . nice fit affordable price and good online service.

Comment

Really mensuits? Let me check. Thank you!

________
                              Faearch
                              Last edited by BarbaraBrace; 09-08-2015, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X