North American Fashion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Thanks for the ideas. They just opened an H&M, I need to try that too.
    I can't really afford designer, but we have a discount store next to my house that always has current season Calvin Klein dresses for $30 and under. That's my work wardrobe right now, which is great, they are perfect. It's been a life saver. But for basics and casual, wow, it's been hard. It was easier as a plus size.
    I find that H&M is opposite of "vanity sized." In fitted pants I typically wear an 8 there, I wear a 0 at Ann Taylor, a 4/6 at Zara, etc. I have a 27 inch waist and 38-39 inch hips depending on how much I'm squatting or if I've been eating cake.

If you are looking for a long but really interesting and informative read on the subject, this author/designer has a really great and in depth series explaining that vanity sizing as most people think of it is a myth. Fashion Incubator Blog Archive The myth of vanity sizing

The tl/dr is that due to pattern making scale, companies set their size medium (or median numerical size) to encompass the largest portion of their intended client base. So clothing for older people (Talbots) or poor people (Walmart/Target) tend have a larger medium size than clothing for the young (H&M, Zara) or rich (Chanel). They also all have different fit models, which is a whole other kettle of fish but explains why some clothing is proportionately bigger through the seat vs the waist.
    No disease that can be treated by diet should be treated with any other means.
    -Maimonodies

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea.

Babes with BBQ

Comment

I forgot- Target isn't vanity sized either. I remember my best friend (super thin but disordered) complaining about it now. Haha.
      I can't wear Target clothes at all because they seem to cut things for very thin arms and legs and big waists. Haha, I tried to find jeans there- no joke, it took a size 17 to fit my thighs and then the waist and butt could have accommodated 6 pairs of depends.

I always forget about VS. I do prefer to shop where I can try things on though.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
      Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

They also all have different fit models, which is a whole other kettle of fish but explains why some clothing is proportionately bigger through the seat vs the waist.
        OK, I need to find the company that uses fit models with squatters thighs.

Comment

OK, I need to find the company that uses fit models with squatters thighs.
          Applebottom jeans? XD
          ------
          HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

Applebottom jeans? XD
            That cut runs big in my seat. I have HUGE quads and hams, moderate butt, small waist. I don't have the big hips that usually accompany big thighs:

Comment

For me, I've discovered that Joe's Jeans Honey cut (thrifting FTW) fit my soccer/ squatter thighs, ample rear, breeder hips, and tiny waist PERFECTLY. I'm too cheap to pay $200/ pair for jeans, but I can handle paying $10 for a pair of consigned ones.
              Target has a nasty tendency of assuming I have 3" of side boob and no waist or thighs.
              H&M, I hafta go up to a 6/8 from a 0/2, and tends assume I have very small tits and no shoulders.
              Ann Taylor assumes I have small shoulders, no waist, thin thighs, and shorter arms.
              NY&CO generally fits well, at most I end up going down a size.
              Express tends to fit well, but might pull across the tits or shoulders.
              Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
              My Latest Journal

Comment

My spouse and i have no idea in case mans dimensions include extended very much, in this females section is usually style of preposterous.

Comment

As a man, it feels like it requires an act of God to find something that actually fits, especially pants. The main problem is that there is no room for my thighs and glutes to actually fit.

I have a 30 inch waist, but around the thickest area of my butt I am 41 inches.....so essentially I need a pair with a small waist that then balloons out. The worst of all are dress pants.

I am convinced that a lot of men are just walking around on sticks.
                  "The soul that does not attempt flight; does not notice its chains."

Comment

After years of being frustrated with shopping I taught myself to sew and started making my own clothes. A lot of what I wear now I made. No more worries about finding the right fit. Not sure I am really saving that much money as fabric can be expensive, but it fits the way I want and it's original. Plus it's something I enjoy doing - way more than I ever enjoyed shopping!

Comment

I have to try everything on. Everything. Even two of the exact same item can fit differently. I think that is due to factory production.

American sizes are also sized down. I wear a 0 or 2 depending on brand. I have a skirt from the UK, it is a size 10; it fits loosely and is supposed to be on my waist, but it sits low on my hips. Oh well, a 10 in the US would slide off me. I think I probably wear a UK size 4 or 6.

T-shirts, too. I wear a "S" in US, it is quite roomy. I ordered a "S" from UK and it is very tight. In the US we have XXS and XS to accommodate smaller sizes than me; that doesn't exist in Europe so far as I can see online. I guess because the average American probably wears an "M" and that "M" is larger than Europe; or we don't have room on the tags to start at "S" and go up to "XXXXXL."

Not even shoes are consistent. I have shoes from size 8.5 to size 10. Don't even get me started on bras.

Yes, shopping is time consuming. I would make my clothes but to be honest I have spent just as long shopping for fabric too. I blame too many choices; clothing and fabric.
                      Last edited by kathleen; 05-22-2014, 01:59 PM.
                      Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
                      Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
                      Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
                      F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Comment

Originally posted by kathleen View Post
                        I have to try everything on. Everything. Even two of the exact same item can fit differently. I think that is due to factory production.

American sizes are also sized down. I wear a 0 or 2 depending on brand. I have a skirt from the UK, it is a size 10; it fits loosely and is supposed to be on my waist, but it sits low on my hips. Oh well, a 10 in the US would slide off me. I think I probably wear a UK size 4 or 6.

T-shirts, too. I wear a "S" in US, it is quite roomy. I ordered a "S" from UK and it is very tight. In the US we have XXS and XS to accommodate smaller sizes than me; that doesn't exist in Europe so far as I can see online. I guess because the average American probably wears an "M" and that "M" is larger than Europe; or we don't have room on the tags to start at "S" and go up to "XXXXXL."

Not even shoes are consistent. I have shoes from size 8.5 to size 10. Don't even get me started on bras.

Yes, shopping is time consuming. I would make my clothes but to be honest I have spent just as long shopping for fabric too. I blame too many choices; clothing and fabric.
                        Yes, fabric shopping can be time consuming as well! I don't have a great selection of fabric or clothing stores where I am...so shopping for either fabric or clothes usually involves some travel. Buying fabric seems like the easier of the two in my case!

Comment

North American Fashion

The problem with ready-to-wear/high street is that they are cut on size 4 and then sized up/down callously (+1 inch on hips, +1inch on waist, etc). We don't all gain/lose weight on the same areas.

Making a tailor your friend (or learn to do minor alterations), emphasizing quality/fit over quantity, and knowing what silhouettes flatter you every time goes a long way. I tend to make simple tailoring to my clothes...I buy Tall pants at 36-37" inseam and then maybe hem depending on the shoes I am wearing... Otherwise it's always too short. I take in the waist or find dresses with over 5% Lycra/spandex. Belted silhouettes are my friends.

Finding what brands already look okay off the rack for you is a plus too. I haven't found a good dress store yet (unless you count 50's vintage clothing to be off the rack) but I have found pants from Ann Taylor and Loft to be perfect on me...their 4Tall is perfection (length, fit, etc) when paired with 3inch heels. Their regular dress slacks fit perfectly length-wise with flats.
                          Last edited by TQP; 05-22-2014, 03:11 PM.
                          JOURNAL..
                          @BabesWithBBQ.
                          Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog.
                          Professional Style Website.
                          #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                            Clothing in the US is sized for giants, not just big but tall. I am of average height, yet not only must I buy jeans that are petite, but they are usually too long also.
                            Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                            I can see how average sizes would be too short for you, even if they are upsized. But the average woman is 5'4", my exact height. Average jeans are 4-5" too long for me. Petites usually need to be shortened. Slacks that do not come in lengths are often 6-8" too long.

Women's pants are sized for fashion models.
                            Most pants are the right length for me at 5'6 in a low heel. That said, I can't wear regular pants because the waist and ass are huge if the thighs are just a little snug.

I think length wise, clothes work well for those 5'6 or so. Skirts and dresses hit just right too.
                            I think body proportions impact this a lot. I'm also 5'4",but I'm soooooo short-waisted that my legs are the same length as my Knifegill and my mom, both of who are 5'9" and evenly proportioned. So, some pants fit well, whereas others are way too short. Flare and bootcut seem to be a little bit longer legged, so I usually buy those.

All my pants are thrift store finds, of which I'm usually a size 8 (125-130ish pounds--scale is broken, but I fit into all my clothes from before I got pregnant when I was 122 pounds). My main problem is the waists are too small. If pants fit my bum /hips (39inches), they gap horribly around my waist (28inches). It was actually kind of nice for a few weeks post-pastum when my belly was still big enough that I didn't need belts....

Comment

Originally posted by TQP View Post
                              Finding what brands already look okay off the rack for you is a plus too. I haven't found a good dress store yet (unless you count 50's vintage clothing to be off the rack) but I have found pants from Ann Taylor and Loft to be perfect on me...their 4Tall is perfection (length, fit, etc) when paired with 3inch heels. Their regular dress slacks fit perfectly length-wise with flats.
                              Seconded LOFT. I haven't gotten anything there that hasn't fit right off the shelf.
                              Other good stores:
                              -Van Heusen
                              -JC Penny (Misses only, no Juniors, that stuff is crapola)

Stores that have clothing which always seems to fall apart:
                              -Forever 21
                              -RUE 21
                              -Hot Topic

Stores that have clothing that fits oddly and/or have to try on multiple of the same size and item:
                              -Gap
                              -Old Navy
                              -Vanity Fair
                              -PacSun
                              -Zumies
                              Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
                              Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
                              Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
                              F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Comment

Originally posted by kathleen View Post
                                Seconded LOFT. I haven't gotten anything there that hasn't fit right off the shelf.
                                Other good stores:
                                -Van Heusen
                                -JC Penny (Misses only, no Juniors, that stuff is crapola)

Stores that have clothing which always seems to fall apart:
                                -Forever 21
                                -RUE 21
                                -Hot Topic

Stores that have clothing that fits oddly and/or have to try on multiple of the same size and item:
                                -Gap
                                -Old Navy
                                -Vanity Fair
                                -PacSun
                                -Zumies
                                List always varies based on body shape and how well that meshes with the "fit model" that brand cuts the clothes on.

I am also partial to Loft because I interned at their HQ (helped them put together those outfits on the store mannequins...which are 100% unified across the nation and decided upon by the NYC HQ). now I love their clothes and their sales!
                                JOURNAL..
                                @BabesWithBBQ.
                                Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog.
                                Professional Style Website.
                                #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

Working...
                                X