North American Fashion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    A lot of popularity with drafts/draft crosses/warmbloods. I think most female riders are pretty self conscious about their size/horse ratio.
    They probably are. I know when I was riding hunter/jumpers as a teenager, we had a hell of a time finding horses tall enough to fit my long legs. I looked utterly ridiculous on anything shorter than 16 or 16.1. And I was always horribly self-conscious about my height compared to the shorter girls in class. They could ride anything and look lovely; I was always sure I looked just like the Jolly Green Giant riding a goat.

Comment

Yeah... you just about can't sell hunter jumpers smaller than 16H now. Everyone loves to be on enormous horses.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
      Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Yep.

I have three horses now and the "small" one is a 16H TB.

The tallest is a 17H appaloosa. Go figure.

Comment

It's part of the "fat acceptance" movement.

People in North American jogged themselves senseless while constricting their calories to semi-starvation levels, and that didn't work...so now they just change the label. Sneaky.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandra in BC View Post
            Because men wear their pants under their waist/belly. When you're apple shaped the hip measurement doesn't change as drastically. You just cinch the belt tighter.
            This makes sense. I didn't consider the high/low rise aspect. I much prefer wearing clothes at the actual waist so I have at least a little flexibility of movement.

Comment

One word on mens clothes custom made decent price's Custom Suits & Mens Suits | Indochino

Comment

The weirdest thing is that they seem to be vanity sizing shoes now. I swear, I used to be a 9.5 in some shoes, now I end up in 8's and even 7.5's in a lot of cases. I haven't needed a 9 in a couple of years....
                Yes! I understand the whole point from a retail marketing perspective of vanity sizing for clothing, but why on earth do we need it for shoes? I used to be a size 8, now I'm a 7, sometimes even a 6.5. And I can fit into kids size 5 shoes as well. I have similar issues with bras. My boobs still fit into my old bras, but now when I shop I have to look at bras at least 1 cup size up. So frustrating!

Comment

Originally posted by Badkty22 View Post
                  Yes! I understand the whole point from a retail marketing perspective of vanity sizing for clothing, but why on earth do we need it for shoes? I used to be a size 8, now I'm a 7, sometimes even a 6.5. And I can fit into kids size 5 shoes as well. I have similar issues with bras. My boobs still fit into my old bras, but now when I shop I have to look at bras at least 1 cup size up. So frustrating!
                  What I have found now that I am no longer heavy with inflamed feet is that shoes are wider than before I had those issues. It suits me fine, because I never used to be able to fit into fashion shoes, and now I am able to wear standard sizes, rather than wide ones like I used to wear as a kid. I think it has something to do with significantly heavier people having feet made larger by the action of gravity.
                  Last edited by eKatherine; 08-10-2013, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Well, I used to just wear regular shoes and think dress shoes=pain. Now that I have discovered wide sizes I can be comfortable. I'm definitely not overweight (5'5" and the heaviest I have ever been was 130ish, currently 118ish).

Comment

Seriously, what the hell is going on with vanity sizing? It is getting even worse. I went sweater shopping and stopped at the Gap. Found 2 sweaters I liked, but only in Small.... eyeballed them and bought them along with a T-Shirt in s size small.
                      The T-shirt is huge- it's like a damn sack and the sweaters are also large thru the mid section, though the arms fit.

So basically, their small size is somewhat roomy on a 170 lb woman, technically "overweight". I have big boobs, broad shoulders and nothing about me strikes anyone as "small". What do actual straight up small people wear? I realize at this point I have some body dysmorphia, but this is ridiculous. I do have some old XL shirts and they are almost the same size. So annoying!

Comment

Seriously, what the hell is going on with vanity sizing? It is getting even worse. I went sweater shopping and stopped at the Gap. Found 2 sweaters I liked, but only in Small.... eyeballed them and bought them along with a T-Shirt in s size small.
                        The T-shirt is huge- it's like a damn sack and the sweaters are also large thru the mid section, though the arms fit.

So basically, their small size is somewhat roomy on a 170 lb woman, technically "overweight". I have big boobs, broad shoulders and nothing about me strikes anyone as "small". What do actual straight up small people wear? I realize at this point I have some body dysmorphia, but this is ridiculous. I do have some old XL shirts and they are almost the same size. So annoying!
                        It is really tough for naturally small/thin people. One of my sisters is 5'3" and weighs about 95 pounds. It is very hard for her to find clothes that actually fit. Even the 00 sizes are too big at stores like The Limited and Loft.

As a large person I have no such problems personally.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

North American Fashion

Mags you are not overweight. You look good.

Gap is notorious for vanity sizing. Worse than comparable brands. If you want smaller clothing:

-High street/diffusion brands: mango/MNG, Zara, Topshop, teen sections of department stores, Forever 21
                          -Pretty much all designer clothing...
                          -Buy vintage! I love vintage clothing. I love to thrift as well.

Zara has especially narrow tailoring for men and women. My broad shoulders sometimes cannot fit into the L blazers and I am not really obese or anything...
                          Last edited by turquoisepassion; 01-05-2014, 09:52 PM.
                          ------
                          HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

-High street/diffusion brands: mango/MNG, Zara, Topshop, teen sections of department stores, Forever 21
                            -Pretty much all designer clothing...
                            Thanks for the ideas. They just opened an H&M, I need to try that too.
                            I can't really afford designer, but we have a discount store next to my house that always has current season Calvin Klein dresses for $30 and under. That's my work wardrobe right now, which is great, they are perfect. It's been a life saver. But for basics and casual, wow, it's been hard. It was easier as a plus size.

Comment

Originally posted by Incindiary View Post
                              I'm curious what the typical Size 24 person weighs. As a general rule, a horse of average weight and frame size shouldn't carry more than 20 -25% of it's body weight, including rider and tack. So, a 1000 lb horse shouldn't be asked to carry more than 200-250 lbs. A larger, stouter horse can obviously handle more rider.

I'm not trying to hate on the larger riders; I'm just hoping they're cognizant of their weight and are choosing sturdier mounts to accomodate them.
                              When I was near maxing out 24Ws, I was 300 lbs. Women that size aren't riding horses, trust me. They're buying riding pants because they're trendy. Not flattering, just trendy.

2001- 185 lbs, 16 in Old Navy jeans
                              2014- 215 lbs, 16 in Old Navy jeans
                              The 16s from 13 years ago don't even button. So, they've gone up 2 sizes in 13 years. That's an alarming number.

Comment

North American Fashion

Thanks for the ideas. They just opened an H&M, I need to try that too.
                                I can't really afford designer, but we have a discount store next to my house that always has current season Calvin Klein dresses for $30 and under. That's my work wardrobe right now, which is great, they are perfect. It's been a life saver. But for basics and casual, wow, it's been hard. It was easier as a plus size.

No problem!! More casual non-vanity-sized places...
                                Do you have an Uniqlo? Basics galore. Also, Thermotech tights for those east coast winters.

Joe Fresh. Basics. Amazing.

H&M I wait for their massive seasonal sales and then buy all non-trendy items and items that comes back in every 2 seasons ("florals for spring? How original!"). They offer online shopping too which is good if you don't live in a fashionable city, as the deliveries to those cities suck. More options online.

Zara, topshop, Asos (online only) offer free shipping both ways I believe. Asos is a life saver during its seasonable 50-75% sales.

Victoria's Secret pretty much has the same sizing as Express (somewhat vanity-sized but not too much; I think they get their clothing produced from the same people) online. Tons of stretchy clothing and sexy date night clothing. Once again, semi-annual sale.

I forgot- Target isn't vanity sized either. I remember my best friend (super thin but disordered) complaining about it now. Haha. I don't shop for clothes there so I forgot about it.

I actually don't think designer is that unaffordable. A lot of times on ideeli, gilt, and hautelook I find $200 shirts discounted to $30-40, which is still more expensive than forever 21 but the buttons don't need reinforcement to not fall off and the fabric is better. You just can't fall for trendier selections (one-shouldered, etc) that will look dated next season.

My work wardrobe has been Ann Taylor heavy because of internal sample sales when I worked in the Ann Inc fashion department haha. $1 blouses say whaaaat. Pants are mostly Express/LOFT/ J Crew (or whatever brand has vanity size 4 Tall and I can find on sale). I thrifted a bunch of vintage Armani, Escada, Calvin Klein, Ungaro blazers to pair with the more modern blouses and pants. I love business casual so I can mix and match. Finishing touches are vintage shoes (usually Ferragamos) and some estate sale vintage gold jewelry. Super affordable but I had to get creative.
                                Last edited by turquoisepassion; 01-06-2014, 09:36 AM.
                                ------
                                HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

Working...
                                X