Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

North American Fashion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Because men wear their pants under their waist/belly. When you're apple shaped the hip measurement doesn't change as drastically. You just cinch the belt tighter.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

    There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

    DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
      Clothing in the US is sized for giants, not just big but tall. I am of average height, yet not only must I buy jeans that are petite, but they are usually too long also.
      This hasn't been my experience. I'm 5'11, and I have to buy Long length jeans and slacks. Average length hover just above my ankle bone.

      So far, I've found Gap jeans fit me the best, although depending on cut and material composition, even their sizes are inconsistent within the brand line. I currently have two pairs of jeans I wear regularly: a size 4L and a size 8L. Both are from the the Gap, and both are similar in tightness.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Incindiary View Post
        This hasn't been my experience. I'm 5'11, and I have to buy Long length jeans and slacks. Average length hover just above my ankle bone.

        So far, I've found Gap jeans fit me the best, although depending on cut and material composition, even their sizes are inconsistent within the brand line. I currently have two pairs of jeans I wear regularly: a size 4L and a size 8L. Both are from the the Gap, and both are similar in tightness.
        I can see how average sizes would be too short for you, even if they are upsized. But the average woman is 5'4", my exact height. Average jeans are 4-5" too long for me. Petites usually need to be shortened. Slacks that do not come in lengths are often 6-8" too long.

        Women's pants are sized for fashion models.

        Comment


        • #19
          Most pants are the right length for me at 5'6 in a low heel. That said, I can't wear regular pants because the waist and ass are huge if the thighs are just a little snug.

          I think length wise, clothes work well for those 5'6 or so. Skirts and dresses hit just right too.

          http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
          Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
            I can see how average sizes would be too short for you, even if they are upsized. But the average woman is 5'4", my exact height. Average jeans are 4-5" too long for me. Petites usually need to be shortened. Slacks that do not come in lengths are often 6-8" too long.

            Women's pants are sized for fashion models.
            We both experience frustration when shopping for clothes, just for opposite reasons.

            It would be lovely to know I could find something in my size regardless of where I shopped. As it is now, I detest the whole process.

            Comment


            • #21
              I have kept pieces of clothing from my college days (I'm 51) because they are classics. A size 10 women's skirt by Evan Picone from that era has a 26-inch waist! It is still too tight on me to wear now, even though I'm wearing a lot of "size 4" stuff. Vanity sizing indeed! And the clothes were made a lot better then, too.

              My rule of thumb before ordering from a new clothing company is this: If you see a size 0 listed, that means vanity sizing is in strong effect.

              Comment


              • #22
                1975 5'5", 156 pounds - size 12-14.
                2008 5'5", 150 pounds size 8.
                Same woman, virtually the same waist and hip measurement.

                Now that the clothing manufacturers have created a size 0 that basically fits the size 6 of the past, what the hell are they going to do if the general population continues to get fatter? "Comes in size negative 6 to 22W."

                Posting at the same time.
                "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

                B*tch-lite

                Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Yeah.... I fit into a pair of size 10 jeans this weekend. They fit my frankenthighs and were "skinny cut" and gapped a bit at the waist. I am not a small girl by any means. I'm not ashamed of this, but I feel really bad for the women out there that are tiny.

                  It's crazy- people really are getting bigger. One thing that never used to go to plus size were horseback riding clothes. If you were above a 12, there was nothing for you. Now they sell riding breeches well into the 24W realm. That such a niche market of athletic wear now has entire manufacturers making plus sizes is a little sad.

                  http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                  Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    At least if they were standardized, you'd know. But in some stores sizes all run large, while some online stores sell clothes one or more sizes smaller. At least if you're there in person you can try something on. Online, there's no way of knowing.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      I feel like that stores that sell extended sizes, but don't carry them in store have the worst vanity sizing. Loft is like that. They won't sell anything bigger than a 12 or 14 in a lot of stores, yet online go up to 18, and their clothes run very large and don't relate to the listed measurements online.

                      The weirdest thing is that they seem to be vanity sizing shoes now. I swear, I used to be a 9.5 in some shoes, now I end up in 8's and even 7.5's in a lot of cases. I haven't needed a 9 in a couple of years....

                      http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                      Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
                        I feel like that stores that sell extended sizes, but don't carry them in store have the worst vanity sizing. Loft is like that. They won't sell anything bigger than a 12 or 14 in a lot of stores, yet online go up to 18, and their clothes run very large and don't relate to the listed measurements online.
                        It seems like the listed measurements online aren't very closely related to the garment fit anyway.

                        The weirdest thing is that they seem to be vanity sizing shoes now. I swear, I used to be a 9.5 in some shoes, now I end up in 8's and even 7.5's in a lot of cases. I haven't needed a 9 in a couple of years....
                        I used to be a 7-1/2W. When I was heavy, I found it impossible to buy comfortable women's shoes, and just ended up wearing men's running shoes all the time. Now I am an 8 regular and almost all shoes that size fit me comfortably.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          How come I'm not getting bigger? all my clothes from hs still fit
                          Make America Great Again

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
                            It's crazy- people really are getting bigger. One thing that never used to go to plus size were horseback riding clothes. If you were above a 12, there was nothing for you. Now they sell riding breeches well into the 24W realm. That such a niche market of athletic wear now has entire manufacturers making plus sizes is a little sad.
                            I'm curious what the typical Size 24 person weighs. As a general rule, a horse of average weight and frame size shouldn't carry more than 20 -25% of it's body weight, including rider and tack. So, a 1000 lb horse shouldn't be asked to carry more than 200-250 lbs. A larger, stouter horse can obviously handle more rider.

                            I'm not trying to hate on the larger riders; I'm just hoping they're cognizant of their weight and are choosing sturdier mounts to accomodate them.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Incindiary View Post
                              I'm curious what the typical Size 24 person weighs.
                              When I was 2X or 20W I weighed about 215.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                I'm just hoping they're cognizant of their weight and are choosing sturdier mounts to accomodate them.
                                A lot of popularity with drafts/draft crosses/warmbloods. I think most female riders are pretty self conscious about their size/horse ratio.

                                http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                                Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X